Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what kind of speedo do you need to run a dewalt motor? >

what kind of speedo do you need to run a dewalt motor?

what kind of speedo do you need to run a dewalt motor?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Interesting. I've a defect 18v drill that I can take the motor out and an old truggy lying on a shelf....

What ESC and battery packs people uses for those projects?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x60Driver View Post
You should be. They have motors for our cars and it's called brushless/ brushed motors. That are make just for us. Last I knew dewalt wasn't not a brand for our motors. Also that motor is alllllll tourqe not speed.
Next time you want to ridicule someone for doing something outside the box (that's [email protected]$$ btw) maybe you should use spell check so you don't look like even more of a jerk!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

give a kid an internet connection and a keyboard, youll get this more times than not.....
Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
Interesting. I've a defect 18v drill that I can take the motor out and an old truggy lying on a shelf....

What ESC and battery packs people uses for those projects?

Traxxas EVX-2, 14 - 16cells or equiv lipo.....
Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
It'd be real slow since that esc is limited to - Input Voltage: 4-8 Cells (4.8 to 9.6V DC).

Need to run 14-16cells (or lipo equiv) to generate rpm so you'd have some speed.
Yeah. Because of this, I'd probably try to get a drill with the lowest voltage you can. A weaker drill at full voltage is probably stronger than a more powerful drill at half voltage.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G33Kster View Post
Yeah. Because of this, I'd probably try to get a drill with the lowest voltage you can. A weaker drill at full voltage is probably stronger than a more powerful drill at half voltage.
so maybe the cordless screwdriver that is 7.2 volt is better for a 10t? or is that too little and pointless?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
so maybe the cordless screwdriver that is 7.2 volt is better for a 10t? or is that too little and pointless?
That seems a bit small. Maybe use a 12V drill. Also, not sure if you meant this, but cordless screwdrivers are different from cordless drills I think. Cordless screwdrivers are meant just to put screws into stuff and are a different shape. I have one of those and they're very weak, even with the gearbox. Sorry if this isn't what you meant but I want to make sure we're not confused
Anyway, I suggest that you use something like a 12V cordless drill. Depends on what battery you're using. If you plan on using something like a 3S LiPo, then you could go to like 14.4V. I'm not using an exact science and these are all educated guesses.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
Traxxas EVX-2, 14 - 16cells or equiv lipo.....
Thanks for your answer Duster
Old 03-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I just pulled apart an old Craftsman 9.6v cordless drill that I had laying in the bottom of my tool box. Hasn't worked in years because of bad batteries.

The motor is basically the same size in diameter as 1/8th scale electric motor. I hooked up a Nimh pack to it real quick and it spins very fast. I'm definately going to try this thing out in my E-Maxx at some point. Even if it ends up being somewhat slow, it will be a torque monster.

ben
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
I just pulled apart an old Craftsman 9.6v cordless drill that I had laying in the bottom of my tool box. Hasn't worked in years because of bad batteries.

The motor is basically the same size in diameter as 1/8th scale electric motor. I hooked up a Nimh pack to it real quick and it spins very fast. I'm definately going to try this thing out in my E-Maxx at some point. Even if it ends up being somewhat slow, it will be a torque monster.

ben
Good luck! I recently took apart a 14.4V drill for the same reason; It's motor is the same size as a 1/10 scale (but longer). Its pressed gear has the wrong pitch, so I'll have to use a pinion puller to take it off, then grind a flat spot onto the shaft for the set screw on the new pinion.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G33Kster View Post
Good luck! I recently took apart a 14.4V drill for the same reason; It's motor is the same size as a 1/10 scale (but longer). Its pressed gear has the wrong pitch, so I'll have to use a pinion puller to take it off, then grind a flat spot onto the shaft for the set screw on the new pinion.
Yeah, already realized that. No biggie. This project won't cost me anything but time, assuming I don't break something in the process. LOL

I'm going to have to get creative on pulling off that pressed on pinion. Maybe just set my vice to hold the pinion and hammer out the shaft. LOL. We'll see.

ben
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Questions??

Our local hobby shop built a few E-Maxxs for a local Dewalt supplier a couple of years ago. We used the Novak esc that came with the truck. I remember the first time we powered one up,instant wheelie-flip
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hope this comes to fruition for you, I have seen some pretty amazing videos with folks using the Dewalt motor. Whodda thunk you could stick a drill motor in a truck and it would damn near walk on water
Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Yeah, already realized that. No biggie. This project won't cost me anything but time, assuming I don't break something in the process. LOL

I'm going to have to get creative on pulling off that pressed on pinion. Maybe just set my vice to hold the pinion and hammer out the shaft. LOL. We'll see.

ben
If you've got a dremel, use a cutting wheel and just cut it off. Wrap the motor up in a ziploc bag and stick the shaft thru the bag and tape around the hole where it came out so none of the grit can get in the motor while you're cutting.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

You want a nice motor go to kershawdesigns.com they have some motors with a lot of torque and they are waterproof. just a suggestion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service