Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Any body see this problem with SCT racing? >

Any body see this problem with SCT racing?

Any body see this problem with SCT racing?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Just to add, I'm not against the "rubbin's racin'" idea. With the right group of guys the SCT class can be a blast because you CAN do a little rubbin' without any problems. Like I said the trouble is the new guys, which the class is understandably full of, don't have the control yet or don't know the difference and they think WFO is racing. IMO this doesn't help bring new "racers" into the hobby/sport which we all know we need more of. rant over..
good call I think we arew on the same page no need to go out and bust someone truck up, ok we do agree
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

i agree with every one on the whole "Newbie" and "carnage" about sct racing but i have seen grown adults and i mean guys that have been racing for a number of years race dirty because they think they are the damn best thing out there or just dont care ho they go threw to win and if they hit me or put me in the wall i will do the same back to them but u do get a new racer here or there that just doesnt care who they hit
Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

I hear you on letting the guys lapping you by, but I will be damed if i am going to let the driver in the position behind me just go on by cause he is fast, think of it this way everybody who complains about getting hit in the turn you going to just let the guy behind you go by? No lol. I raced as I said befoe and as far as getting hit going into a corner that is where it all happens the the most, Fist rule of racing the driver who hits his brakes last before the corner wins. I dont care what racing it is hitting happens.Like i said I raced street bikes and they bump bad it will scare the hell out of you trust me. My .02 is this if you complain of the slower guys hitting the back of you maybe you are not as fast as you think. You dont like getting hit in the backside out run them, if you cant maybe you are not as good as you think you are. Lets all remember they are TOY CARS lol. Have fun. I saw two guys nose to nose at the track ovwer this issue it was dumb. If you see someone hacking bad or two much calm down and go talk to them, tell them it is not cool and why. Explain you both got alot of money into them and parts are sometime days away. Odds are it will stop and you just may make a track buddy.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by All in
I was also sick of hearing let the fast guys past you on the track? Real racing you want past someone you better work for it.
I hear you on letting the guys lapping you by, but I will be damed if i am going to let the driver in the position behind me just go on by cause he is fast, think of it this way everybody who complains about getting hit in the turn you going to just let the guy behind you go by? No lol. I raced as I said befoe and as far as getting hit going into a corner that is where it all happens the the most, Fist rule of racing the driver who hits his brakes last before the corner wins. I dont care what racing it is hitting happens.Like i said I raced street bikes and they bump bad it will scare the hell out of you trust me. My .02 is this if you complain of the slower guys hitting the back of you maybe you are not as fast as you think. You dont like getting hit in the backside out run them, if you cant maybe you are not as good as you think you are. Lets all remember they are TOY CARS lol. Have fun. I saw two guys nose to nose at the track ovwer this issue it was dumb. If you see someone hacking bad or two much calm down and go talk to them, tell them it is not cool and why. Explain you both got alot of money into them and parts are sometime days away. Odds are it will stop and you just may make a track buddy.
If you are at a normal track that runs 3 qualifiers and then the mains you MUST let the faster guys by during qualifying. This is where many of the complaints come from is people hacking during qualifying which is uncalled for.
"I raced as I said befoe and as far as getting hit going into a corner that is where it all happens the the most, Fist rule of racing the driver who hits his brakes last before the corner wins."
I beg to differ. I say the driver who hits his brakes at the right time coming into the corner wins. New people have no problem braking last and that is the entire problem. They brake too late, swing wide of the apex every corner, I duck underneath and get taken out the next corner where they brake too late again and would have gone wide if it weren't for hitting me.

I am grateful for the wonderful group of racers I get to race with that race against the clock during qualifiers and as if its nascar out there in sct a mains. There is corner "nudging" but nothing that spins people out and if you do take someone out you either wait for them or expect it next time you meet.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I did my first SCT race last week, after a 10+ year absence. It was a complete demo derby hack fest, so I pulled my truck off the track with 1.5 min to go . I race at a small track, so you're constantly encountering other trucks, and of the 8 trucks in the race, 3 of them were piloted by demo derby drivers. It just wasn't any fun.

I'm going to keep at it, but I hope I can either learn to stay clear, learn to dish out pre-emptive strikes (not my style) or work with the track to clean it up some.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was also sick of hearing let the fast guys past you on the track? Real racing you want past someone you better work for it.
You totally understand, if you are the fast guy getting punted by some joker that's "racing" you even though he's lap(s) down. This is frowned on in any racing.

If you are not competitive.... or are laps down... don't make your car wide when the leaders are coming up to put you another lap down.

At my track, the slash class started with a lot of derby action and laughing, etc. But by now, things have a good balance. Racers do not intentionally wreck others (unless it's you and a buddy having your own race within a race), but the close fender-to-fender racing is still there.

The real issue, is that SCT has a lot of inexperienced (bad) racers so you get a lot of unintentional hacks. We have had a lot of great races where the fast guys manage to weave through the traffic and have a good clean fun race, even though it's like dodgeball sometimes. Stock truck used to be the same way. It's dangerous running with the rookies.

I think this will work itself out somewhat, with Stock/Mod SCT. The better, cleaner drivers will end up in Mod. Hopefully the hacks will mostly end up in stock, just like 2wd truck
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I love SCT racing. I don't mind newbies smacking into me and I don't mind accidental crashes. The only thing I really really hate are guys who know what they are doing that purposely ram you aside the pass you. That's what ticks me off. I don't come across that very often at the tracks I race at, but it does happen sometime. When that occurs that guy just puts a giant bullseye on his truck as far as I'm concerned. That's the only time I will purposely ram a guy.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

ok I think I am being misunderstood, there is racing common curtisy to another driver. If I get lapped than I move over or take the wide lane yes, qualifiers are just that race the clock not each other, but as far as mains on the lead lap fighting for position. You got to be kidding if you say you would let someone by without trying to hold your position with all you can do besides trying to take them out. Taking somebody out on purpose is not cool. nor should be done at all but if it battling for position it is just that. If you can stick a nose in under then than go for it you may make it you may get cut off and stuffed into the pipe. That is racing.if you are afraid to push it alittle or get bumped pull it off the track. If you just want to do time trials than run the qualifier and go home. I do not condone taking someone out on purpose let me stress that. But all else with a little consideration is fair game.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I no longer race in the SCT class at my track, or any other for one reason. It doesn't promote clean driving. I fully understand that this class is the big draw for new racers however a majority of the time "rough" driving is considered the norm. I'm not talking about "rubbin's racin'" I'm talking about new drivers not needing to learning car control because plowing through the other guy is way they all race and it's accepted because it's SCT racing. The problem I see with this is that IF any of these drivers move to a different class they seem to bring that driving style with them. Just my $.02 and wondering if anybody else see's the same thing.
I totally agree!! check out the slash racing at liesure hours thread that i started. At our track it seems right now it's the same three goofs that are doing the driving through other people.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Now instead of internet arguing let all go hit the track run some packs or burn some nitro, than go to get some wings and a pitch after and just laugh it all off, or take the new guys and explain some proper track common curtisies, all of us were new once! Make the track a fun place to relax, if we all want to stress out and complain we can stay at home and do yard work lol. Fun and explaining not yelling and stomping off the drivers stand will grow the hobby. New people grow the hobby and help the local shops that support those tracks. If you dont like rubbing talk to the track director and find a happy medium. Everyone can play on the same track and have fun. I really cant believe a simple thread got this much debate lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

ok I think I am being misunderstood, there is racing common curtisy to another driver. If I get lapped than I move over or take the wide lane yes, qualifiers are just that race the clock not each other, but as far as mains on the lead lap fighting for position. You got to be kidding if you say you would let someone by without trying to hold your position with all you can do besides trying to take them out. Taking somebody out on purpose is not cool. nor should be done at all but if it battling for position it is just that. If you can stick a nose in under then than go for it you may make it you may get cut off and stuffed into the pipe. That is racing.if you are afraid to push it alittle or get bumped pull it off the track. If you just want to do time trials than run the qualifier and go home. I do not condone taking someone out on purpose let me stress that. But all else with a little consideration is fair game.
Ok, I see that you said "let the fast guys past you". I don't see that happening at all, unless we are talking about the leader coming up to put a lap on someone. Racers don't get called out to move over for someone if you are racing for position. Mistakes happen, but I think it's extremely rare for that to happen. If that's going on at your track, then the race director needs to have a talk.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

I didn't think this tread was out of control at all

SCT racing has been a blast for most racers. Some get their panties bunched too easy... but then it CAN get to a point were a couple of tools can really ruin the fun of RACING on the track. Common sense by the race director should keep it in check.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Rubbin is racing but like the guy described it as a demo derby, yeah that aint right. I actually havent raced my sct yet cause this is my first year, but I have been down to my track and watched them race, and I was very amazed cause I dont think anyone ever touched another person. I cant wait to get down there to race.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

All I can say is I'm seriously looking forward to the MORL series here in michigan with my sc10. Its looking like we'll have 35+ in stock sct.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I will say that I too have noticed a little of the rough driving carrying over to other classes.I beileve most of this stems from the SCT class, being the hot "gateway" class for newbs is promoting an unrealistic portrayal of how R/C racing in general works.Contact in the SCT class is almost encouraged depending on where you run.But some of the newbs that have moved to other classes can tell you that isnt really the case. If you try to use people as berms , and bump pass, and push people out of your way in any other class in R/C racing, you will be punted by someone in the pack that just wont tollerate that kind of driving.This WILL all sort itself out as more and more newbs move to other classes and realize that style of driving will get you nothing but stuffed.I Know that sounds harsh.But most of us that raced pre-SCT have been refining our 'clean" driving skills And on the track ettiquite for the entire time we have been racing.I would love to take some newbs to a 1/12 scale race and let them see what happens to a car at 50MPH when you squeeze the leader in the wrong place and he bump checks you into the boards for getting cocky.I think they would realize how tollerant off-road guys really are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.