Puffed lipo?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Puffed lipo?

Hey, I bought 4 Hyperion lipo's, 2 are 3300 5s 35c, one of the cells looked a tiny bit puffy right out of the box but I was so excited I soldered a connector on, one wire at at a time, no sparks or anything, I charged it up at 6 amps, they are 5c chargeable! Ran it once and the puff started to increase a little. Ran it a few more times over the last couple weeks. I always store charge on my duo3. Yesterday the puff looked a little bigger when I pulled it out of my storage lipo sack.

I sent rclipos an email and they said they need to send the battery back to the lab to see if it was user error, I know it wasn't because the other 5s is just fine. My question is, should I send it in? These lipo companys act like there's no way a cell could be puffy unless it's user error from a direct short or user drawing to many amps out of the battery to fast. So no matter what it's your fault? I've ran the battery 5 times now and I'm getting worried it's going to burn up/blow up in my $1500 buggy!

So If you open a lipo and there is any hint of a puff send it back, don't put a connector on it! Send it back so they can't blame you!
at $125.00 per 5s I'd expect these are re-labled zippys
what should I do?

At this point I have 12 lipo's and only the one has a puff!
I run the 5s on a tekin rx8 1900kv 8 pound rc8be. 8.0 pounds with the battery. I run on small/tight indoor clay. Straightaway is a short 3second wot!
Attached Thumbnails Puffed lipo?-img_0769.jpg   Puffed lipo?-img_0766.jpg   Puffed lipo?-img_0768.jpg   Puffed lipo?-img_0770.jpg   Puffed lipo?-img_0430.jpg  

Last edited by Jstall7543; 03-20-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Initiate

I would send it back. I f you know that you didn't short out the pack, or do anything else to hurt the cells, then they will probably take care of it.
Another option is to remove the bad cell, and turn it into a 4 cell pack.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Resinrider View Post
I would send it back. I f you know that you didn't short out the pack, or do anything else to hurt the cells, then they will probably take care of it.
Another option is to remove the bad cell, and turn it into a 4 cell pack.
Ya you can do that just be careful when removing cells from packs. Anytime I see ppl do that they burn the lipo up.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

ya, Ive never split a pack up, to scared lol!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

I agree with trying to contact them and sending it back. If it is that new, it should be their problem not yours.

I have owned a total of 10 LiPo packs now. Out of all those, I have had a total of 3 cells fail. Two puffed to scary dimensions, but never failed. They definately lost current capacity and would get warmer while running. From what I have seen, they seem to puff most when discharged too low and too fast. My oldest pair are Max Amps 3000's. I was running just a 3 volt per cell cut off and going well past the 20C constant rating of 60 amps, but my bursts still never past the 30C 90 amp rating. I got the packs to 160F a few times and they did get "puffy" where you could tell there was pressure inside. It scared the crap out of me, buteach time, when they rested and cooled off, they would loose the puff. I have since only used them for my son's low power setup with a 3.3 volt per cell cut off and they work great still, now at over 4 years old and hundreds of cycles. My first two puffed to failure cells were in hard cased 2S2P packs, one Losi and One Reedy. Both 5000 20C rated. I never hit the 100 amp rating on these, and at about the same number of cuycles, they puffed so hard that the hard case split open on the reedy and the Losi would not fit in the car anymore from the buldge. Since these were 2S2P packs, I did open them up and now have a very nice 3S2P pack that runs quite well.

My most recent cell failure is a really odd one. I am sure it was bad when new, but it managed to work a few months before I noticed the issue. One of the cells in a newer Reedy 2S1P 5000 35C pack was torn near where the tabs come out and a corrosive fluid was leaking out. It ran great for a long time, even as I noticed the end of the case getting soft. But when it started to buldge and the hard case was soft like play doh on the end, I knew something was up, and the run time started getting shorter too. I sent pics and told Reedy about it, and they just advised me to destroy and dispose of the pack for safety. Thanks for the help Reedy. I opened that pack and the other cell was fine, so I am hanging onto it.

All in all I am very happy with the life and performance of my LiPo's. The C ratinbgs are certainly a bit too high. I think you should never exceed the constant C rating, not even for a tiny peak as it just seems to start the down hill slide. Besides the one Reedy leaker, all my 35C packs are holding up great. 3 more Redy's and 2 Hobby People packs. I think I wil be getting another pair of the HP's, thy e run great and are still on sale at $59 each for a rock solid 2S 5000 35C hard case.

If it is only puffing a little at the end of a run, and it comes back to shape after, try raising your LVC a few tenths of a volt and you are probably good to go. A slightly off balance pack will cause problems as the lowest capacity cell in a series chain could end up being pulled well under the 3.0 volt danger zone, even if the whole packe measure above cutoff. The more cells in series the worse the problem can get. On your 5S for example, even with a 3.2 volt per cell cutoff, you could end up like this. Total pack volts 3.2 x 5 = 16 volts. So if 4 of the cells are at 3.3 volts, that could leave the 5th cell at just 2.8 volts, which will make it puff and die. Raising the cutoff to 3.4 fixes this problem. Cut off becomes 17 volts and with the 4 cells at 3.5 even, the 5th cell is still at 3 volts. That is a serious .5 volt out of balance and still safe in a worst case. The better a pack is matched the closer they will hold balance and the lower you can safely run the LVC. The more cells in series, the higher you need to run the LVC for a safe setup.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Send it back - document just what you've told us here in a letter to go back with the lipo. You may be better off dealing with a Hyperion dealer - may want to give All E RC (Hyperion dealer - 480-456-4800 ) a call and talk to them about this and see what they advise.

I've had no dealings with RCLIPO, but they've got a good rep. You may have cost yourself a free replacement by going ahead and using it versus getting a new one at some discounted price.

The one puffed lipo I received new - called the place I ordered it from and they said send it back. Mine was replaced, but it had never been out of the package either.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

I sent a email to RClipos right away and they told me to send it in, but I waited for over 2 weeks to get them so I decided to run it a few times.
I sent another email and they remember my original message & said they will get me another one, as long as it's not my fault. This is the grey area I hate about lipo's. If they replace it for free then I'll order some more.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Lord

Delaying and using the lipo may have changed this prob from a warranty issue to what Hyperion calls a crash replacement issue where you get a 40% discount toward a new lipo instead of a replacement.

Hypersion has some pretty strong feeling about puffed packs. See this near the bottom where they talk about warranty -

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/
Old 03-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

All my lipos seem to have a tiny bit of puffiness. It seems they were always like that. They all seem to run fine and take a charge perfectly. I don't know if it's not just the nature of them. If mine were in hard cases, I'd never notice it and it isn't enough that it would bulge the hard case. Honestly it probably is fine.

When a pack is really puffed, it gets more puffed out than that.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That does not look puffed.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjlove View Post
I agree!

You basically said in 5 words what I blabbered on about above. (I've never been know for being succint!)

Charge that sucka up and drive. It's fine.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjlove View Post
your right after looking at the pics. the packs look fine and not puffed.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
your right after looking at the pics. the packs look fine and not puffed.
Only one is puffed and is getting a little worse every week. If I can get a new one for free I will if not, then I'm switching to zippy lol!

I'll sell you the puffy one for $100, I think it has 5 runs on it. Stored at 60% after each run on my duo3!

Anyone? Me neither.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Lord

His initial post said "one of the cells looked a tiny bit puffy right out of the box". Never been described otherwise. He has another to compare to so there's little doubt about there being a diff.

For what he paid, I'd be looking for a new one too.