R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-12-2004, 01:57 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Batteries GP3300

Hey Guys.

Ok well after about a 6yr break from RC i have decided to return.

Now i am slowly getting up to speed with all the new cells available.

Now honestly guys, can many of you pick the difference between say a pack with an av. voltage of 1.15 and a pack with 1.165?? offroad of course.

I can see the benefits with onroad and possibly 4wd offroad but in 2wd mod i cannot see the great advantage in all these high voltage cells unless your name was mentioned in a worlds or nats A final.

Anyways ppl please let me know what ya think.

Glenn.
Mr-s413bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:19 AM   #2
Suspended

Send a message via AIM to Gabe Boudreau

Good question Glenn. If your going to be racing in the mod class in off-road then no. Pretty much any 3000 or 3300 will be sufficent. Where 1.165 and 1.15v batteries come into play more than ever now days is in the stock class. Most of the stock motor's now days are as fast as some of the slower mod motors from 6 years ago. The only differnce is the "punch" you will get from the high voltage packs, which could be the differnce in winning and losing a close stock race...

But as for mod, like I said, a new 3000 or 3300 pack will be fine. Make sure you have either a turbo 35 or an upper level Novak or LRP charger (the batteris are no longer NICD they are now NIMH (nickle metal hydryied <sp>). Some of the older 2400's are still NICD and I heard Sanyo is going to mabey make 3300 in NICD. But your old chargers will not charge the newer cells (you can check with the manufacture of your chargers to see if they will work.)

Hope this info points you into the winners circle!

Gabe
Gabe Boudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:20 AM   #3
Tech Master

Hey Gabe!!

Ok, well that has been my line of thinking all along, 2wd Mod offroad has never needed super HV cells, but i think ppl now days are too easily influenced. They see big numbers and think bigger is better. WRONG.

Alot of the time, if you spend a little more time on set-up/maintence/practice you will get a much better result than than the mega dollar sells will provide!

Anyways thanks for the imput Gabe.

Glenn

p.s is it true that these GP3300 cells start to lose capacity after about 6 months?? I really hope not, i thought Ni MH cells were meant to be a step forward. If there start do die after 6 months we can start comparing them (this makes me look old) 1700SCE days!!

Last edited by Mr-s413bt; 04-12-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have some cells that are a bit older (about 18 months) and they have always been taken care of on either an LRP pulsar comp or a Turbo 35 and although capacity has dropped slightly, the avg voltage is staying the same give or take .02 or so, as was stated before not enough to make a difference in mod. My stock packs I maintain as fresh as possible and try to replace them fairly often because thats where it matters but regardless, my Vis Matched Trinity 3000's from last year can still make the main as easily as my Promatch GP 3300's from this year.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-s413bt
Anyways thanks for the imput Gabe.

Glenn

p.s is it true that these GP3300 cells start to lose capacity after about 6 months?? I really hope not, i thought Ni MH cells were meant to be a step forward. If there start do die after 6 months we can start comparing them (this makes me look old) 1700SCE days!!
Yep, this is true! They are similar to the 1700SCE witht the yellow shrink wrap and red writing! Only difference is you can charge the GP3300's at 4.5 amps. You should only run your packs one time and let them rest 3 days (if you want longevity from your cells) and make sure you discharge them the same everytime. The makers claim the battery has no memory, but EVERYONE that I talk too in the know, says that they do build a memory.

No one ever said that "newer" was "better"!

Is a step back if you ask me, but NIMH is easier to make and not as bad for the enviorment. The "Cadiumn" part of NiCD is very very toxic.

GB
Old 04-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
Tech Master

Hey again Gabe.

Ok how would you recommend i discharge these MiMH packs.

Everyone seems to think differently about it.

Most ppl i have spoken to discharge down to 5.4v and leave it at that till next use.

With my "old" 2000 cells i would bring them down to 5.4v then stick them in a rack for an hour or so.

Anyways let me know how i should treat these cells.

Glenn
Old 04-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I always discharge to 5.4 volts and leave them until next time.

All batteries are save to charge at 2 times the capacity..therefore, a 3000 MAH battery can be safely charged at 6 amps, a 3300 at 6.6 amps, etc. The lower you charge your batteries at, the longer they will last. 4-6 volts is usually the norm.

GP cells run their best for the first 30 runs, and then have been known to tail off slightly. If you can afford it, save a couple packs for important races (if you plan on racing any). Ni-MH packs can be safely ran twice in one day, and actually have been known to feel more "punchy" the second time around.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #8
Tech Master

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the tips.

I do plan on racing a few big events here in Australia.

I just missed out on the Australian Nationals but there are a few big state title meetings coming up later this year.

I am actually thinking of getting some RC2400 cells for club racing and saving the NiMH for the big meetings.

At club level i am not sure if i see the point of using killer cells anyway.

Glenn
Old 04-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Anytime dude!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:08 AM   #10
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-s413bt
Hey again Gabe.

Ok how would you recommend i discharge these MiMH packs.

Everyone seems to think differently about it.

Most ppl i have spoken to discharge down to 5.4v and leave it at that till next use.

With my "old" 2000 cells i would bring them down to 5.4v then stick them in a rack for an hour or so.

Anyways let me know how i should treat these cells.

Glenn
Ok Glenn I am going to let you in on somthing. Aaron doesn't have to spend 70-100 bucks on a battery and that is why he is telling you to charge at 6amps! DO NOT CHARGE GP CELLS THIS HIGH! I DON'T CARE IF GOD COMES DOWN AND SAYS IT IS O.K. Read this info on NiMH batteries by RC Car action and Jim Dieter from Team Trinity:

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/NiMHbatcare1.asp

When I was a factory Trinity driver I would abuse my batteries by charging them at higher rates like Aaron likes to do. Who cares when you can call and get 10 new packs every month? I never recomended to anyone to do the same (even though some of the kids with big bucks did it anyways!). I did it because I could. I used to leave one pack in and run it 10 times a day, for a month then toss it in the trash.

The GP3300 cells are very heat sensitive. You can damage them if you soldier them together for too long, all kinds of B.S. As far as discharge goes, 5.4v is perfect, and then you can use an "equalizer" to level out each cell. You should also charge and discharge your packs once a week even if your not going to run them. And if you are going to store them for more than 2 weeks, charge them up first before storing them.

Those 2400 packs your planning on getting, you can safley charge those packs at 6-7amps. They are NiCD cells, and can handel that abuse.

I used to like to charge my 2000's at 10amps for stock racing...but I don't recomend doing this if you had to buy the pack. I miss the 1700 SCR's from Sanyo. You could charge them 5 times a day and they just kept getting stronger...ahhh the good old days...

GB
Old 04-13-2004, 02:44 AM   #11
Tech Master

Hey Gabe.

Yeah i used to trash my RC2000 cells!!

I got some of the first here in South Australia and damn did i get some use out of them Back then tho i had a HUGE budget but not any more.

Basically i am getting some RC2400 NiCD cells for club racing, because our track is sliiiiiiipery as so i won't be using any motors lower than about 13t.

The NiMH cells i will use for major races on tracks that i can use decent cells and motors to an advantage.

I found an article in some magazine last night, with the famous Mr Gabe Boudreau!!! It was an article about the 1997 ifmar world titles!!

Thanks for all your help guys, makes it easier if i have an objective opinion.

Glenn
Old 04-13-2004, 07:48 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Gabe - The 2C rule (two times the capacity of the cell) comes from an equation in physics that was prescribed to me by a few electrical engineers.

If the voltage threshold of your charger (something adjustable on most high-end Ni-MH compatible chargers) is set correct, 6.6 volts is theoretically perfect safe.

Also..I will quote myself as saying:

"The lower you charge your batteries at, the longer they will last. 4-6 volts is usually the norm."

I'd never tell someone how to blow up their packs..
Old 04-13-2004, 11:29 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Hmm, I have GP pack that are over a year old and raced very competitively (only once or twice per weekend per pack). I always charge at 6 amps. Packs have lasted quite well. I do tray them before charging ALWAYS.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #14
Tech Master

Hey Guys.

OK well at this stage i am looking at some cheapish packs.

1.15v+ 390+ GP3300.

I think they should do the job in 2wd mod offroad racing.

What do you all think?

Glenn
Old 04-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Nearly any matched 3300's available will be up to the task of 2wd Mod racing!

Today's batteries are all awesome.