Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Balance - Caster EX1.5R, Ofna Hyper 9e, or HB Ve8

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

dont get me wrong though, I love the ve8, its a great looking car to me at least. They should have made a hybrid plastic/aluminium chassis instead of all "plastic"

I have seen others do a caster layout on other cars as well, one very nice one on a rc8te, it just makes more sense to me battery wise to be able to run two of any packs and still be balanced. It would probably be different if I had tons of money to blow on 5 of the same single packs.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

VE8 + $35 alum skids puts it right there with all of them that are priced higher, plus this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10869

fits in the car if their dimensions are correct. So now there are 2-3 vendors that make affordable LIPOS that fit this chassis.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by interplanet
if you kept reading you would see that it was a mistake on his part, they are 7075 t6
thank you for clearing that up.

I guess we should get back on topic about the balance. The Ve8 looked to be left side heavy, but after many people drove it, it turned out to be a non issue. I would still like to see HH's chassis when it comes out.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I really just cant see it being balanced with the motor and lipo on the same side of the car.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
Do you think this was caused by quality of parts? Or the driveline angle combined with the power of brushless?
I've read about drivetrain wear on the D8, D8T, and now the Ve8 which all share the same drivetrain parts. So I think it's a combination of design (angle of the driveshafts respective to the drivecups) and material used. I read about wear for nitro versions too, so I don't think it's due to the greater torque of the brushless setups, though that likely speeds wear up.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Ofna Hyper 9e. Very Well Balanced.

I've owned a Nitro Kyosho Inferno 777, Then ditched the mess and maintnance and bought a Losi 8e. Wasn't happy with it but thought it was just me. The balance was similar to the Kyosho as far as the way the car handles and jumps. allot of that is setup and I had allot of help with both cars. For the first time in my life, I've never been so happy with a RC car as I am with the Ofna Hyper 9e. All the problems I had with the Losi don't exist with the Ofna. Topic, Balance, Yes, the Ofna Hyper 9e is dead on. I did have help from Nitro House's Tips and Tricks for setup. and then Tim Bump, Lead designer helped me set the car up to. actually just told me a few things to adjust. But the car was dead on balance wise, before all that. the tips and tricks just made the car stick to the track better and corner better. Balance is a factor that affects every aspect of the cars performance on track. jumping, landing, cornering. I don't know why, but unless I had brand new tires on my losi, it would slide. I can have the same sliding tires on the ofna, and it sticks to the track like it's on railroad tracks. It flies. in fact it's too fast with a 2650kv castle/new motor, for me. I'll be trying out a 1409 1Y 3600kv motor running a 2cell lipo. Castle said it'll be fine. as for balance, the Ofna, by inserting the battery foam to the rear of the car, and the lipo to the front of the battery tray, the car will swivel around a corner, it's just amazing, the rear end literally rotates around a tight turn. and I'm not even doing anything but steering the car into and out of the tight turn. I can't say enough about the car. I had looked at the other RC's out there but like the simplicity of the Ofna and also the fact that the parts are low cost, and not low quality. I've had no problems with my ofna, and I've owned it from the time they first came out almost one year ago. I truly believe the entire RC industry needs to rethink the design of an Electric Drivetrain for 1/8th scale buggies, truggies and you name it. The Raw Massive power and torque of electric motors(100% instant Torque) just wears out the axles, CVD's, Outdrive Shafts- of all the RC's. But ofna putting one long $17 dollar aluminum driveshaft from front to back and moving the center diff back, sure simplifies things(and eliminates all the maintnance my Losi required from Center Diff to front axle to front diff, including set screws giving me migrane headaches). The Ofna Re-Thought Simplification, and this car is quite simple. And I'm five seconds faster per lap, than I was with my losi on the same track. That says it all. And balance has allot to do with that. Hope this helps. Now if I can just find a "Matrix Concepts Inc" or equivalent Carbon Chassis(with built in removable skid/wear plates & Replaceable Droop Screw wear area, and Carbon Shock Towers), I'll be very happy and even more balanced!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

This buggy is the only one I would buy, and I do own this one.

Hyper 9e = massive win