Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
losi speed t...help? >

losi speed t...help?

losi speed t...help?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? losi speed t...help?

so i am buying a speed t in the next week or so and im new to the electric side of RC what upgrades should i get for it? also is there anything i should look for on it and get extra parts for?....also can it hold its own off road and if not what can i do to make it a little better
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If your going to drive it on a track get a new set of tires. Check at your local track to see what tires hook up.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well, from what I understand, they have a nice motor, crap esc.

The HPI E-Firestorm is a better basher, stronger and more support for it.
The downside of the E-FS is that it is now only available in the Flux version, which comes with a bad motor for the wrong application.
The Speed T/DT isn't really a weak truck, durability/strength wise, but it isnt the strongest.

I have a DT with a velineon 3500 geared for about 60kph, I have broken a few parts, but they certainly didnt break on their own... landing awkwardly from about 1.5-2m high on one wheel can break an A-Arm, so will running into a star picket.

The main part I break is the front A-Arms, although since I have put the EA3 arms on, I havn't broken one.

So, I would suggest changing the front arms to EA3, DT gear diff and fill it with some really sticky stuff.

Rod ends, I have managed to break a few.
Keep a packet of E clips laying around, I have lost quite a few.

Other than that, I can't really think of any other parts that 'will' break.
The camber links are really soft though, I have had mine near looking like a banana and I just straightened them out again.

There is a steel idler gear available from robinson racing, you might want that eventually, I have one but I never managed to strip the plastic one, even with brushless.

Apparently they are not that great off road, mainly because of the diff and tyres I think.

Other than that, they are pretty good.
There is not much, after market support for them at all though.
And you will find on forums a lot of people will look down to you or not take you seriously because you have a Losi XXX-T variation and use it for bashing.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Rookie

+1 on the sesert truck Diff. You will also need the DT diff case and longer screws since the diff is a bit wider. As far as arm are concerned I would go with the graphite arms. The st is basically a xxx-t, so a lot of parts are interchangable. The stock links all seemed very beefy to me. If you plan to go off road you will need tires, spings an shock oil. The stock suspension is far too stiff for off road.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

well no offence but if people look down to me for having a losi they can suck me [email protected] because its my choice what i use and its a half decent price for the car and a lipo so unless some one offors me 160 for a car used 3 times and i in box max amps 11.1 li-po 5000 mah....but thank you for the advice i really appreciate it... but i have a savage 4.6 to do my real bashing...and one last thing is that i thought this was a firendly hobby ...i mean BFD i have a losi, i also have to pay for my own stuff with my money and thats hard to do when i dont have time for a steady job especially with football coming up soon.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

you need a diff, that will NOT work. dont get one of those, its a street vehicle, get a rc10t4.1. they are offroad friendly and not onroad.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by not home View Post
you need a diff, that will NOT work. dont get one of those, its a street vehicle, get a rc10t4.1. they are offroad friendly and not onroad.
well do you know wear i can find one of those with a li-po combo?, because im in a 200-230 limit of cars...