Wiki Posts
Search

Two stage shock pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Two stage shock pistons

I have been using two stage shock pistons in many of my RC vehicles for years (Revo, 1/8 buggies, SC trucks). They offer superior performance and additional tuning options. Bascially most shocks dampen rebound/compression the same way, oil flows thru the same piston holes. The issue is if you use heavy oil to absorb large jumps, then the low speed dampening suffers. With two stage pistons, which work as one-way valves, when the shock compresses the valve closes acting like thicker oil, when it rebounds the valve opens acting like it has ligther oil. So you can set the oil weight for the big stuff and yet the shock will be responsive over the small stuff. RPM just came out with some pistons for Associated and Traxxas trucks that incorparate this valve system and I ordered a set but have not recieved them yet. I have a Slash 4x4 that I want to try them in. They are supposed to fit stock Traxxas plastic body big bores, and aluminum bodied big bores but you will have to sand the piston down slightly to get them to fit.

Two stage pistons, upper and lower parts.

Valve closed oil flows thru only some of the holes

Valve open oil flows thru all the holes
Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Those pistons have been out for a while now. They do work nicely and the only thing I had to do was remove material from OD of top e-clip to let piston float correctly. No problem with binding in shock body. Really work well on lighter vehicles such as a 1/10 buggy.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They work great, I was pleasantly surprised with them.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I tried these pistons. They worked better on smooth flowing tracks but not so well on tight and/or bumpy tracks.

After a while, I realized they were not as consistant as regular pistons.