Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
I hate to be vague but the car is having problems with all of these areas.

Definitely having problem with forward bite however also after a turn. My mid corner grip is 'ok' because my speed is really low.

I will move to one of these baseline setups and see where I am at.

I also hope new tires will help(Proline Flip Outs)
Thats ok, just trying to help out!

What tires is everyone else running at your track?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

TheZoof you say you are running boost possible its to much power for the track?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Im running Randys setup with the addition of the heavy servo plate and front shocks laid in one hole. Problem is at the last two big races when the track get really grooved up the car had so much steering that it feels twitchy to the point of rolling sometimes. I was thinking of going up in oil next time. Any suggetions would be great.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mandy116 View Post
Im running Randys setup with the addition of the heavy servo plate and front shocks laid in one hole. Problem is at the last two big races when the track get really grooved up the car had so much steering that it feels twitchy to the point of rolling sometimes. I was thinking of going up in oil next time. Any suggetions would be great.
when traction goes up, dual rate goes down! no need to change the setup its all right there at your radio!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, for open racing, what esc/motor and gearing are you guys using, for a large track? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Hi, for open racing, what esc/motor and gearing are you guys using, for a large track? Thanks.
I run Tekin and Murfdogg... Are you wanting to run stock or mod? Gotta choose before we make suggestions
Old 12-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

Been waiting for this kit for a while. Finally got it this evening. Will be hopefully putting it together and be out there on Sunday.

Is anyone running the Tamiya tyres on this chassis?
I bought the C rated tyres that fit the kit wheels. I guess I wont know what I'll need until I start running it.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cantrell8 View Post
when traction goes up, dual rate goes down! no need to change the setup its all right there at your radio!
Thanks cantrell, I didnt think about that.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dlewis4, thinking of running mod (open). ty.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pin2Win View Post
TheZoof you say you are running boost possible its to much power for the track?

Yup... I turned down my boost quite a bit. I can always add more if I want more.

We all were running step pins before(when it was loose dirt), now that it is harder base we have been using Flip outs or double d's...

I made my car the same as the 'low traction' - dirt setup found on that petitrc website. Hopefully I see an improvement. There wasn't all that much different though so I am a bit different...

I did go up in oil wt of course and changed my rear link. I have less camber in the rear now too compared to what I had before. Hopefully a flatter tire will give me more forward traction.

I will report tomorrow with how it turns out!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kung Fu Panda View Post
The alloy ball nut on the rear uprights as per the kit build have worn quite badly. Replaced with steel 5mm ball studs from a db01 and the rear link now hits the rear springs (using the middle hole on the plastic upright). Anyone else experienced the same problem.

Looks like i either need the alloy rear uprights or to space the rear shock out from the arm.
Ah, sorry that's my bad, I had only run the steel ball on that link, never did build one with the aluminum ball nut. It's because I have been using the thinner AE springs that I don't have any rubbing issues...
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
I am running 1 degree hubs, you think less toe in will allow more forward traction?
Sorry I haven't been active on here in the past few days, life has kept my busy!

I think the 1 degree hubs are your issue. I tested with the .5 and 1 degree hubs, and ended up going back to the stock hubs. Going into the corner I really didn't notice much of a traction difference with more rear toe, but coming out of the corner the car had a harder time changing direction, it wanted to stay in the turn for too long.

Another problem might be with your shock location on the arm. Going to the outside hole is going to stiffen the car up a bit. In addition to that though, unless you have unthreaded your shock eyelets, it is limiting your down travel. With the track being bumpy down travel should help out quite a bit. This (should) also help with the car jumping a bit further as the arms will have a bit more travel to provide a little extra launch.

Shock oil may be a little light, I have tested with all sorts of different combinations, from 20/25 to 32.5/37.5 in 2.5 weight increments, and really like the 25/30 combination. Kit pistons luckily enough are 1.4mm front, and 1.3mm rears, so you're fine there.

I'm a touring car guy for the most part, but have learned a TON in the past 6 months or so of running off-road, a lot from the help of others, but also a lot from constantly tearing my cars apart and testing different things. Once I find a setup I really like, it takes a lot for me to change a single thing though, and the setup that has been posted since the 201 was just released has only had changes in weight position.

I have a new 201 built up for the Reedy Race, and I must say it's really nice to have a car that all of the screws still fit tight in, lol.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mandy116 View Post
Bring your front shock position back out 1 hole, or try raising the front inner camber link .5-1mm.

Turning the steering travel down works, but then you may find yourself having trouble with tight areas on the track.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
Bring your front shock position back out 1 hole, or try raising the front inner camber link .5-1mm.

Turning the steering travel down works, but then you may find yourself having trouble with tight areas on the track.
East coast tracks always seem to have alot of tight 180's. Plus Im not one to saw on my radio.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Sorry Zoof, I assumed you were running zero degree rear hubs. Hopefully your changes will help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.