Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Funny you mention that as I have one secured wing mount and the other side loosens itself after a 5 minute run.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

use a small small drop of super glue on the screw. Wont work its way out that way.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

good idea... but prob not gonna be a permanent fix as it may tear the pre-existing threads in the mount.

I am going to try investigate if I can run a much longer screw, going THROUGH the back of the wing mount, and then securing it with a nut.... a bit of an overkill though...

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
use a small small drop of super glue on the screw. Wont work its way out that way.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

That would work aswell..
Old 11-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thats what i did and its holding up well so far.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Wow, just came back from my 2nd track day with this car and its awesome! Running some weights and switched to a 6.5 geared 24/79 and perfect speed and acceleration for the moment. A few guys tried it and are really astonished how balanced and how well it takes the rough, my new favorite car to drive! Like my first love, hehe
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

The only thing I have a problem with coming loose is the axel screw. The one that holds the axel on. I have locktite on it and still seems to come loose about every other battery I have to tighten it. Other than that everything stays pretty tight on my car.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had the titanium screw set that I hadn't used and found some screws in there that were about 1mm or 2mm longer. For whatever reason these slightly longer screws have cured the loose wong mount. I had even put a fresh set of wing mounts on my car that were loose after the first run.

I looked at putting the nut on the back but the shape of the bottom of the wing mount didn't lend itself to that option. Plus you would have a really long lever for the wing to work against and would probably break the screw instead.

Originally Posted by Shadows
Hi Guys, thought I might ask.. and sorry if this had been answered in a previous post...

Just finished building it, fantastic build. top notch material. Great to see Tamiya step up to the plate with their offroad gear to being a little competition to the American (Chinese) Giants..

However, there is just one snag i noticed:

What are people's impression on how the wing mounts are attached to the rear shock tower? Having a single short screw holding on to the wing arm seems a little under-supported to me...

Today, 1st time out with the car and after a couple of wobbles on the track, I found the wing mounts have loosened themselves and had actually lost one of the screws! I imagine this is because the plastic is so soft on the mounts that any kind of impact will cause the mounts to work themselves loose off the securing screws from the shock tower.

I re-secured it by using longer screws, but its a little worrying.

thoughts?

cheers.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Zoom! hah, so I just figured out who you are. lol

yeh on closer inspection, the long screw idea is not going to work as you had mentioned.

I have used longer screw this time... fingers crossed that it will stay put!

hope to come out soon for a club race.. but at this rate, I think I will mostly be just testing and fine tuning the setup on the weekends at WCMRC.

Originally Posted by Z00M
I had the titanium screw set that I hadn't used and found some screws in there that were about 1mm or 2mm longer. For whatever reason these slightly longer screws have cured the loose wong mount. I had even put a fresh set of wing mounts on my car that were loose after the first run.

I looked at putting the nut on the back but the shape of the bottom of the wing mount didn't lend itself to that option. Plus you would have a really long lever for the wing to work against and would probably break the screw instead.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shadows
Zoom! hah, so I just figured out who you are. lol

yeh on closer inspection, the long screw idea is not going to work as you had mentioned.

I have used longer screw this time... fingers crossed that it will stay put!

hope to come out soon for a club race.. but at this rate, I think I will mostly be just testing and fine tuning the setup on the weekends at WCMRC.
I like to keep a low profile

Be good if you could get to a Friday night race. If you like I'll put my setup on a sheet and give it to you the next time you turn up on a Friday.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cheers mate! I'll try, but with the silly season coming up, Fri nights are getting harder to reach. any chance of a electronic format?

Originally Posted by Z00M
I like to keep a low profile

Be good if you could get to a Friday night race. If you like I'll put my setup on a sheet and give it to you the next time you turn up on a Friday.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The only thing I have a problem with coming loose is the axel screw. The one that holds the axel on. I have locktite on it and still seems to come loose about every other battery I have to tighten it. Other than that everything stays pretty tight on my car.
Are you talking about the set screw? If so, you can grind a small flat spot on the pin for the set screw to bite into. The other thing is locktite only works on an oil and dirt free surface. Take your CVD's appart, clean everything with motor spray. Spray some motor spray on a clean rag, put the set screw on a wrench and pinch it with the rag where the motor spray is, then twist the wrench. This will clean the set screw really good. Now put everything back together being extremly cautious not to get any grease on the parts that are going to have locktite on them. Also use a good wrench so that you can get it nice and tight. Let the locktite set for at least 6 hours, as that is how long it takes for blue locktite to get to full strength. This is the method that I use for building CVD's and I have never had one fail.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Are you talking about the set screw? If so, you can grind a small flat spot on the pin for the set screw to bite into. The other thing is locktite only works on an oil and dirt free surface. Take your CVD's appart, clean everything with motor spray. Spray some motor spray on a clean rag, put the set screw on a wrench and pinch it with the rag where the motor spray is, then twist the wrench. This will clean the set screw really good. Now put everything back together being extremly cautious not to get any grease on the parts that are going to have locktite on them. Also use a good wrench so that you can get it nice and tight. Let the locktite set for at least 6 hours, as that is how long it takes for blue locktite to get to full strength. This is the method that I use for building CVD's and I have never had one fail.
Sorry I meant the front! The screw that goes in the back side and holds the front axel on. Rears are good pin started to come out once and I have fixed that.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry I meant the front! The screw that goes in the back side and holds the front axel on. Rears are good pin started to come out once and I have fixed that.
What kind of wrenches are you using? I think mine came loose after the first few runs so after that I made sure to tighten them down good, but I don't use locktite on them and I haven't had a problem since. Did you make sure to put the spacer benind the axle (step 16 page 10 in the manual)? When I was building the car I forgot these, luckily I caught myself.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

I will check on the spacers. They are tight as I can get them it has to be something like the spacers to keep coming loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.