Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
  #886  
Tech Adept
 
SCD WldCrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by cannon View Post


That is the funniest question put on here !!!!

Pinion choice will depend on:

* What spur you are using
* What ESC you are using
* What software you are using on that ESC

Might as well ask how long is a piece of string

Your sig shows Tekin ESC's. I would suggest going to the Tekin website and using one of the team setups
Some may think of your comments as an insult. If you're giving someone suggestions, those comments should not be included.
SCD WldCrd is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM
  #887  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SCD WldCrd View Post
Some may think of your comments as an insult. If you're giving someone suggestions, those comments should not be included.

The idea is to make people think about what they ask. It would seem taht the OP has got other cars and should have a rough idea of what settings he is using. By also adding that information he could get a clear answer.

Any answer given by others without knowing what settings he was using would is useless.

I hardly think the comment about the length of a piece of string is an insult In fact the definition of that phrase is basically "'how long is a piece of string means that the quantitative answer is not known and there is an implicate understanding that the answer will be difficult to find given the information
available"

So I would suggest that maybe you need to understand the phrase before you comment on it
cannon is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
  #888  
Suspended
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mother America
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cannon View Post
The idea is to make people think about what they ask. It would seem that the OP has got other cars and should have a rough idea of what settings he is using. By also adding that information he could get a clear answer.

Any answer given by others without knowing what settings he was using would be useless.

I hardly think the comment about the length of a piece of string is an insult In fact the definition of that phrase is basically "'how long is a piece of string?", means that the quantitative answer is not known and there is an implicate understanding that the answer will be difficult to find given the information available.

So I would suggest that maybe you need to understand the phrase before you comment on it
+1

Originally Posted by tonyv2382 View Post
what pinion is recommended for a tekin 10.5?
Like cannon suggested, get on Tekin site and look up a setup. The 203 and 208 software are almost identical for the sensored stuff, the only thing they changed on the sensored side of things is the brakes, they also added a "timing advance" setting that is for sensorless operation. The Tekin stuff goes sensorless automatically if the sensor wire gets unpluged. For the timing advance put it to 100 and leave it (the 100 timing advance is per Randy Pike's recomendation). If they don't have any 208 10.5 setups on their site just use a 203 setup and start with your brakes at 100. Use gearchart.com to figure out what final drive ratio the setup calls for, and then use that as a target to figure out what pinion to use. When you go to the track, run the car for a few minutes and check temps, if the temps are good and the throttle feels good, then you got lucky and hit the gearing/esc setup on the first shot. If not then make ONE change and run it again. Continue doing this until the motor is the right temp, and the throttle feels how you like it.
ifuonlyknew is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM
  #889  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 184
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

how long did your guys idler gears last
costcommando is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
  #890  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by costcommando View Post
how long did your guys idler gears last

I have had no issue with mine whatsoever but I am only running 17.5

I did put a RW idler in recently as I had a major meet and didn't want to risk it
cannon is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 AM
  #891  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
tonyv2382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 3,790
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

I asked what pinion suggestion for a 10.5 with the stock spur...but that was I guess stupid of me to assume that you would know that, given that I JUST built the thing and had no other items to use..after all I did post something about how the build was going so one can infer from that that stock pieces were being used. And being that you're running a 17.5, I doubt you would even have a clue...and quite frankly you're seriously annoying and your posts are an attempt to SOUND intelligent when in fact you make urself look like an arse

Secondly Ifyouonlynew thanks for the tips, did yo uend up selling the gv2 finally?.... I already know about the tekin site and DLed a setup for my dex410 but those set ups are very subjective. No one really knows where these setups are being used and how they are being tweaked in various conditions no matter what is written on those sheets. They are mere suggestions and my durango was running hot with randy's set up and I had to change EVERYTHING to make it work. According to various gearing sites I should have an FDR of 8 with my 10,5. Which would be a 25-26t pinion with the stock 79t spur. Unless I change to an 80t spur in which case I believe a 26t pinion would be perfectly geared.

I only asked to get ur suggestions. Not to get into arguments. And seriously dude if you cant respond in a respectable manner then stfu. Plain and simple. This is a new car for me, Ive driven xxx's and b4's in the past and as every car is different suggestions would be nice to hear and take into consideration... Not obnoxious responses. No matter how good your advice may be, the way you present it is important in gaining respect. And being that this is the second time I had to clarify to you what I was asking, I suggest you refrain from answering me in the future. You obviously are oblivious and make yourself look stupid when you dont read previous posts and are SUBSCRIBED to the thread. In which case you just pick at what you want to respond to albeit in idiotic fashion
tonyv2382 is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 AM
  #892  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Run Randy's setup from the tekin site http://teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESCsetu...Vegas2-2wd.pdf and try a 24tooth.
DA_cookie_monst is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 AM
  #893  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tonyv2382 View Post
I asked what pinion suggestion for a 10.5 with the stock spur...but that was I guess stupid of me to assume that you would know that, given that I JUST built the thing and had no other items to use..after all I did post something about how the build was going so one can infer from that that stock pieces were being used. And being that you're running a 17.5, I doubt you would even have a clue...and quite frankly you're seriously annoying and your posts are an attempt to SOUND intelligent when in fact you make urself look like an arse

Secondly Ifyouonlynew thanks for the tips, did yo uend up selling the gv2 finally?.... I already know about the tekin site and DLed a setup for my dex410 but those set ups are very subjective. No one really knows where these setups are being used and how they are being tweaked in various conditions no matter what is written on those sheets. They are mere suggestions and my durango was running hot with randy's set up and I had to change EVERYTHING to make it work. According to various gearing sites I should have an FDR of 8 with my 10,5. Which would be a 25-26t pinion with the stock 79t spur. Unless I change to an 80t spur in which case I believe a 26t pinion would be perfectly geared.

I only asked to get ur suggestions. Not to get into arguments. And seriously dude if you cant respond in a respectable manner then stfu. Plain and simple. This is a new car for me, Ive driven xxx's and b4's in the past and as every car is different suggestions would be nice to hear and take into consideration... Not obnoxious responses. No matter how good your advice may be, the way you present it is important in gaining respect. And being that this is the second time I had to clarify to you what I was asking, I suggest you refrain from answering me in the future. You obviously are oblivious and make yourself look stupid when you dont read previous posts and are SUBSCRIBED to the thread. In which case you just pick at what you want to respond to albeit in idiotic fashion

So far you are 2 for 2 on dumb questions.

The lipo one you expected everyone to know the size of your lipo. You expected them to go away, look up the Pro TEk lipo and see what dimension they are. Wouldn't it have been smarter to actually put the dimensions in your question.

As for the pinion question, as I said, the most stupid question asked so far on this thread. The pinion will be determined by ESC type, software used and spur. (you didn't say what spur you used .. are we supposed to guess you haven't changed anything) On a Tekin you can have a 10 tooth difference on a pinion depending on the software you elect to run.

My first reply was hardly rude. As said previously, if you had the intellegence to understand the "piece of string" quote you would not been offended. As for being an arse, how about asking intelligent questions.

The simple truth is that you were just too lazy in both questions to bother to supply some decent information that would assist other forum members. That type of question and an uninformed reply could mean other forum members could use the settings and destroy motors etc.

The best part is you thank ifuonlyknew ... he agreed with me

And then said to do exactly what I told you
cannon is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 AM
  #894  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

questions about electronics are generally best asked in their respective forums, which in this case, the tekin forums.

as for cannon not providing positive feedback about fdr, without knowing what firmware your running, your appropriate fdr range for the firmware could vary from as much as 3-4fdr. So maybe it was better no one answered your questions, cos then we will be hearing from you again about people giving you bad advice.

anyway, lets free up these generic FAQ about servos, motors, fdr's, lipo's to run, and just concentrate on the chassis at hand.

now about the car......

I first raced the car in stock factory settings, and found the car understeered as pushed like a losi

currently running lee martins pre-euro setup, and to my surprise it works very well on hard packed clay. This car seems to behave much better with more weight. I'm currently running around 1650
hacker is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM
  #895  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
questions about electronics are generally best asked in their respective forums, which in this case, the tekin forums.

as for cannon not providing positive feedback about fdr, without knowing what firmware your running, your appropriate fdr range for the firmware could vary from as much as 3-4fdr. So maybe it was better no one answered your questions, cos then we will be hearing from you again about people giving you bad advice.

anyway, lets free up these generic FAQ about servos, motors, fdr's, lipo's to run, and just concentrate on the chassis at hand.

now about the car......

I first raced the car in stock factory settings, and found the car understeered as pushed like a losi

currently running lee martins pre-euro setup, and to my surprise it works very well on hard packed clay. This car seems to behave much better with more weight. I'm currently running around 1650

1650

I have been running mine basically kit except now have Assoc brown springs on front and green rear. Mine is not pushing but it was on a high bite track. What front tyres were you running. I have been using ProLine M3 ribs on the front
cannon is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 AM
  #896  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
chinamonkey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: F.L.
Posts: 660
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default



Here is mine 201, I didn't like it as much as my b4, its for sell now

check out the forsale thread
chinamonkey7 is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 AM
  #897  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

I couldnt keep the front wheel down with kit settings. Lee's setup of 90 grams at the front and 50 at the rear feels very planted. I would never thought a car running at that weight would be beneficial, as I have ran my other 2wd's at just over 1500, but this car responds well porky.

I was running pro lines 8175 up front, sometimes running red losi taper pin. Depends on conditions, if I want more bite I run ribs.
hacker is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 AM
  #898  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I couldnt keep the front wheel down with kit settings. Lee's setup of 90 grams at the front and 50 at the rear feels very planted. I would never thought a car running at that weight would be beneficial, as I have ran my other 2wd's at just over 1500, but this car responds well porky.

I was running pro lines 8175 up front, sometimes running red losi taper pin. Depends on conditions, if I want more bite I run ribs.
Thanks ... will give it a go. Nothing to lose as it easy to take the weights out.
cannon is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM
  #899  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I tried for weeks to run with no weight in the car, and the car just felt like it was running 20' caster blocks, loaded her up, and she runs a dream now!
DA_cookie_monst is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
  #900  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richwhat??
Posts: 401
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I tried the 1 degree rear hubs last night for the first time. I really like them. The car is so stable on power now under all conditions(thats what more toe does!) and I felt like I could be more aggressive everywhere.

I will try the .5's next but to be honest 4 degrees didn't hurt the turn in at all.

I've also beenn playing with weight and to date I like it like this:

5g in very front of car under the plastic nose cover
28g in front of servo
21g on either side of the chassis outer edge
21g behind the battery

I liked the weight on the outer edge of the chassis instead of the inner cause our track is bumpy and some of the jump faces are inconsistant and this weight seemed to make the car "bicycle wheel" and really was correcting itself when the take off was to one side and really smoothed out the landings(car landing flat)

Last edited by JoeGlover; 09-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
JoeGlover is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.