Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

$225 wow! good price IMO..
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer View Post
$225 wow! good price IMO..
That's a direct currency conversion, it doesn't include Tamiya USA's distribution cut, import duty/taxes and of course, a trip acorss the Pacific. It's a nice looking car, pretty much a B4 with better shocks and metric everything.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
That's a direct currency conversion, it doesn't include Tamiya USA's distribution cut, import duty/taxes and of course, a trip acorss the Pacific. It's a nice looking car, pretty much a B4 with better shocks and metric everything.
Not meaning to start anything but it's NOT a B4.
If you want a B4 go buy one. This is top of the line Tamiya Product.
I dont hate AE is just one car compared to another is just lame....
Tamiya TRF plastic is so much stronger than AE plastic.
If youve ever owned a tamiya trf product then youd know.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer View Post
Not meaning to start anything but it's NOT a B4.
If you want a B4 go buy one. This is top of the line Tamiya Product.
I dont hate AE is just one car compared to another is just lame....
Tamiya TRF plastic is so much stronger than AE plastic.
If youve ever owned a tamiya trf product then youd know.

Lame? It is a blantant copy of the B4's design, not similar but almost the same. If you can't see it then you are just seeing what you want to see. Until it is more than pictures on the internet what it is or isn't made of is irrelevant.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Lame? It is a blantant copy of the B4's design, not similar but almost the same. If you can't see it then you are just seeing what you want to see. Until it is more than pictures on the internet what it is or isn't made of is irrelevant.
And where did the B4's design come from?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Same sh!t was said about the RB5 when it was introduced and this website had a hissy fit, go figure ...

Street price prediction - $295
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
And where did the B4's design come from?
I don't know, the only other car out at the time it came out was the XXX. Do they seem the same to you?

Originally Posted by bobbyvegas View Post
Same sh!t was said about the RB5 when it was introduced and this website had a hissy fit, go figure ...

Street price prediction - $295
I don't remember that. I recall the Academy GV2 and the Team C/TQ/Ansmann being compared to the RB5. There were similarities between them.

This is very much a B4 copy, if the materials are better (verdict is out, I hear the 1/8th buggy and TC's are a little iffy) then best case scenario will be that they built the B4 that many folks wished Associated would make (good shocks, plastics that last longer before getting sloppy).

Do you not see a B4 when you look at pictures of this?

Last edited by Davidka; 04-12-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I hav'nt seen enough pics to really pass judgement.I think the big factor is that the front shock tower is in front of the shocks.Like a B4.If they were behind the shock like everyone elses I dont think as many of these comparos would be made.On a side note I have heard it doent come with a body or wing.Thats kinda lame if so.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Actually, I see a LOT of different design ideas from quite a few different cars on the market (and some from those no longer made). They seem to have done what Associated has not wanted to for years, and that is a big improvement over a stock B4, IMO. The shocks are a huge upgrade, as we all know. Metric fasteners should be an industry standard like it has been in the automotive industry for the last 20 years. Better quality manufacturing and materials will make this car instantly more appealing than a new B4.

Honestly, who really cares what the car is designed around? I certainly don't. If it works, fine. If it improves on a good idea, all the better.

Associated has had very few original thoughts in the last decade, and they won't be immune to having someone take their ideas and run with them. For a company who has recently been very reactive to trends and not proactive in creating them, I don't shed a tear for the big T/A.

For all of the history and winning record of the RC10 and B4, there will always be people who want something the way they want it. I predict this TRF210 will fill a lot of voids in the 2wd market, regardless of what the car looks like. People will buy it.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

This is very much a B4 copy, if the materials are better (verdict is out, I hear the 1/8th buggy and TC's are a little iffy) then best case scenario will be that they built the B4 that many folks wished Associated would make (good shocks, plastics that last longer before getting sloppy).

I can't say, never had a B4 nor studied one honestly because 2WD seems boring IMO.. So I'm the wrong person to ask. If this buggy is made of the same material as my 501X, it will be a tank..

Also, TamiyaUSA is trying to work out a deal that involves the kit including the body/wing....
Old 04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Lord

In case I've come off as someone who simply wanted to point my finger and say "copy cat" that's not my intention. I see where they've changed things, like the front end, the chassis bracing. The rear end looks the most similar to me, the way the shock tower, chassis and transmission go together (I always thought that was an area the B4 could've been improved upon but I guess TRF thought it was good).

I think Apex is right, people will buy this car. One thing the B4 and XXX have going for them is that the best setups are well known so a customer knows that they will have a car that runs well from the get-go. If Tamiya arrives at a good, solid base setup (or AE setups turn out to work) and communicates it well that will go a long way.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

In case I've come off as someone who simply wanted to point my finger and say "copy cat" that's not my intention. I see where they've changed things, like the front end, the chassis bracing. The rear end looks the most similar to me, the way the shock tower, chassis and transmission go together (I always thought that was an area the B4 could've been improved upon but I guess TRF thought it was good).

I think Apex is right, people will buy this car. One thing the B4 and XXX have going for them is that the best setups are well known so a customer knows that they will have a car that runs well from the get-go. If Tamiya arrives at a good, solid base setup (or AE setups turn out to work) and communicates it well that will go a long way.
I've seen side by side pics and although you can't tell 100% I think the rear is changed too, the motor is further forward from what I could see.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Don't get me wrong, David, I love the B4. I have 3 in various variations the original (one Factory Team, one Atomic Carbon S2 and one Durango B4). I think that the design is proven over the last couple of decades, as has been shown by the results at major races around the world. The functional 2wd design does not have a lot to be improved, outside of adapting the cars for new motor and battery technology.

The mid motored cars of Xfactory and Schumacher are nothing new, as that design was done in the 80s by Tekin and a half-dozen different dirt oval companies. Those mid motor designs seem to have a lot to offer to high bite tracks like the rest of the world races on.

The design of the B4 has evolved over 25 years of refining and adjusting to advancements in tires, wheels, motors, batteries and shocks. It will continue to evolve as companies and racers keep looking for a better mouse trap.

If I were going to build a new car, it wouldn't be a ground-up start-from-scratch design—it would be based on a proven result, and I would work to improve what was already solved. Most companies in the R/C world aren't like Motoczysz looking to turn the world on it's ear and do something completely new and different.

I don't blame any company for developing a car based on a proven design—whether it was originally an Associated design or a Tamiya design (look at every touring car on the market).

It's going to be a tough choice to pick between the new Cougar SV and the new TRF210. I'm sure both cars will bring a lot of new people to the 2wd class, and if rumors of a new mid-motor Losi are true, there is a lot to look forward to in electric 1/10th off road.

doug
Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the main reason people compare this to a B4 is because the shocks are behind the front tower.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Apexspeed what exactly is a Durango B4?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.