Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 PM
  #4546  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
trx450racer174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moreno Valley,CA
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CW22 View Post
My TRF201 with bulldog body
I could never get that body to fit the +6 chassis like I wanted it too. The Finisher body fit that chassis the best besides the Zahak body and the OG Tamiya slip stream body.
trx450racer174 is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 PM
  #4547  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (107)
 
CW22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,108
Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trx450racer174 View Post
I could never get that body to fit the +6 chassis like I wanted it too. The Finisher body fit that chassis the best besides the Zahak body and the OG Tamiya slip stream body.
The side needed to pull stretch a bit when i put it into the velcro .
CW22 is offline  
Old 10-25-2014, 07:56 AM
  #4548  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
tonyv2382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 3,790
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Been wanting to try the XMW. How does this drive? Lee Martin looked awesome with it at the worlds. Looked very stable and composed. Let me hear your opinions.
tonyv2382 is offline  
Old 11-22-2014, 08:24 AM
  #4549  
Tech Regular
 
guinnes.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 341
Default

Anyone with a good carpet setup ? Thanx
guinnes.s is offline  
Old 11-23-2014, 03:23 AM
  #4550  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Just got the base model 201 from tamiya usa to go alongside my vintage kyosho triumph, getting my kids a couple tamiya buggies for xmas to try and get them into it. Im not racing the trf, just running it gently around the driveway/dirt road as there are no tracks in Maine that I am aware ofl besides that I stink as a driver
Anyway I was wondering what the purpose of the part n11 was that is the little bracket type thing that screws onto the shock tower on page 8. I assumed it was for a sway bar or something, can anyone please enlighten me. Also after being out of the rc game for 20+ years I am new to the brushless/lipo thing, what kv and turn would be the best motor for me keeping in mind I like alot of power and dont need to use it all just want it to be there later. Ive been looking at the hobbypower(hobbywing) and leapord and neweer systems on amazon(would like to keep it around 70 dollars). Also is a 20c 2s 3000-4000mah ok for me? Thanks in advance.
foxloon20 is offline  
Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 AM
  #4551  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JDM_DOHC_SiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 9,087
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by foxloon20 View Post
Anyway I was wondering what the purpose of the part n11 was that is the little bracket type thing that screws onto the shock tower on page 8. I assumed it was for a sway bar or something, can anyone please enlighten me..
Yes you are correct it is for mounting a sway bar
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM
  #4552  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR View Post
Yes you are correct it is for mounting a sway bar
What sway bar will fit and where do the ends hook up? Thank you
foxloon20 is offline  
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 AM
  #4553  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
AussieTopForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Moss Vale NSW Australia
Posts: 752
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by foxloon20 View Post
What sway bar will fit and where do the ends hook up? Thank you
As far as I know, there is no specific kit for the 201 in respect of sway bars. To be honest I wouldn't bother trying to retro fit one either. I race 201s and have never had the need for one. The latest XMW doesn't even have a facility to mount one.

Cheers
AussieTopForce is offline  
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM
  #4554  
wyd
Tech Legend
iTrader: (51)
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,220
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by foxloon20 View Post
Just got the base model 201 from tamiya usa to go alongside my vintage kyosho triumph, getting my kids a couple tamiya buggies for xmas to try and get them into it. Im not racing the trf, just running it gently around the driveway/dirt road as there are no tracks in Maine that I am aware ofl besides that I stink as a driver
Anyway I was wondering what the purpose of the part n11 was that is the little bracket type thing that screws onto the shock tower on page 8. I assumed it was for a sway bar or something, can anyone please enlighten me. Also after being out of the rc game for 20+ years I am new to the brushless/lipo thing, what kv and turn would be the best motor for me keeping in mind I like alot of power and dont need to use it all just want it to be there later. Ive been looking at the hobbypower(hobbywing) and leapord and neweer systems on amazon(would like to keep it around 70 dollars). Also is a 20c 2s 3000-4000mah ok for me? Thanks in advance.
Maximus R/C is in Maine but not sure how close it would be to where your at in Maine. My friends just raced their 2 weeks ago for a big race. Indoor clay offroad.
wyd is offline  
Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM
  #4555  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Default

I have a question, I built my 201 diff according to the manual, I have no motor or esc for it yet but when I spin the spur gear by hand either of the rear arms lift as the axle turns, if I roll the car it sort of skips/hops. I made sure the diff screw was not too tight when assembling. Any thoughts?
foxloon20 is offline  
Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 PM
  #4556  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by foxloon20 View Post
I have a question, I built my 201 diff according to the manual, I have no motor or esc for it yet but when I spin the spur gear by hand either of the rear arms lift as the axle turns, if I roll the car it sort of skips/hops. I made sure the diff screw was not too tight when assembling. Any thoughts?
Got it, the cva was binding.
foxloon20 is offline  
Old 11-24-2014, 04:10 PM
  #4557  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (25)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: socal
Posts: 486
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by foxloon20 View Post
Also after being out of the rc game for 20+ years I am new to the brushless/lipo thing, what kv and turn would be the best motor for me keeping in mind I like alot of power and dont need to use it all just want it to be there later. Ive been looking at the hobbypower(hobbywing) and leapord and neweer systems on amazon(would like to keep it around 70 dollars). Also is a 20c 2s 3000-4000mah ok for me? Thanks in advance.
If you are just planning to bash then I suggest getting one of the HobbyKing ESC and motors. An ESC/motor combo will cost around 70-80bucks. An 8.5T motor should give you plenty of power and just dial down with your radio.

I recommend this ESC. Should handle almost anything you throw at it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nsorless_.html
littleZEN is offline  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:20 PM
  #4558  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Here is mine next to my vintage kyo triumph
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF2WD thread-20141118_173813.jpg  
foxloon20 is offline  
Old 12-04-2014, 01:14 AM
  #4559  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
AussieTopForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Moss Vale NSW Australia
Posts: 752
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Double Cardan Joint Shaft

Fitted a set of the double cardan joint shafts to my 201XM. They go together well and basically reduce the angle of operation on the CV joint. Hoping to give the car a run at an event in Sydney on the 14th. Sounds like the track will be prepared as a high grip surface, which should suit the XM.

Haven't raced my modern cars for while and need to break the drought!

I also bought another standard TRF 201 for one of my kids to get started. came cheaply with half a car in spares. The chassis needed some work, a complete strip and rebuild. Best thing was the airbrushed shell (hardly used) that came with it!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF2WD thread-trf-201-rebuild-4-5-.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-trf-201-rebuild-3-5-.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-trf-201-rebuild-5-5-.jpg  
AussieTopForce is offline  
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 AM
  #4560  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 987
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I am thinking about getting the TRF back out and doing some racing with it. Anyone have one of those Trackster +6 chassis laying around?
CTRJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.