Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Finally completed the build of my TRF201. I still need to paint the wing and set the camber though.

Has the weighted 0 degree front bulkhead, XV-01 reinforced rear hubs, reinforced front arms, 25 degree front hubs, reinforced transmission gears, and a 3Racing aluminum top gear. I bought another rear T-plate so I can try out the cut T-plate mod.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Took my 201 to a new track that I have never run buggy on last night. Track was low traction and was very bumpy overall. I didn't change my setup at all from my home track with is super smooth and high traction.

My buddy gave me a set of rear tires that worked on this track and I thru my 201 down and was immediately pretty dialed with zero changes. Car ate the bumps up with no problems and even with my broke top plate in 3 pieces I was able to make the A main and finish 5th. This car just keeps amazing me everytime I run it. Ran a 100% different track and didn't have to change anything but tires to be competitive first time out. Sure I can make it better but I know that where ever I take this car I can make it work.

Car was stable all night long with a small push but very easy to drive just like on my high bite track. This is a great car.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really have to know...how did you break the top plate?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kregger View Post
I really have to know...how did you break the top plate?
Yeah how did you manage that one?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew View Post
Yeah how did you manage that one?
I hit a guy at the end of a 110' straight away full throttle as the guy spun and hit him head on at full speed before I could even hit the brakes. I ran the last two races with it actually broke into 3 pieces and still made both A mains and finished 5th or better in both. Can't complain but I can't push the car as a hard flip onto the shock tower will more than likely finish it off. That said the car has been really good overall.

New toplate coming this week from a fellow Tamiya 201 driver and he hooked me up with one of his extra ones.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Ran the first practice tonight with my 201. Couple things kept bothering me. 1st is I seem to have no rear traction, the slightest tap of the brakes and it's swapping ends. I had to back off the brakes to 50% and even then I have to be careful. The 2nd is jumping. For most jumps it comes off nose up. I'd like for it to be a little more flat. Overall it just jumps poorly. I ended up cartwheeling or upside down more times than I can count. I also managed to snap off the two aluminum fluoride coated ballstuds in the XV-01 rear hubs at the same time in a flip coming off a jump. I had to move the ball stud to the farthest outward position on the forward row as i still have half the stud stuck in the middle position. This made the upper tie rods longer.

Setup:
-1 degree camber front/rear
400wt tamiya kit oil up front with 1.4 pistons and black spring (wanted to use 32.5 low, but no one had it till today)
25wt losi oil in the rear with 1.3 pistons and yellow spring
23mm ride height
25 degree front uprights
trailing front axle location
no weight added except for the front bulkhead
XA rear front mount
3.0 rear rear mount, installed standard (not upside down)
full size lipo
new gold Bar Codes front and rear with standard open cell foam inserts (could not find anyone local with closed cell in stock).

I can work on filling out a setup sheet tomorrow for further information. I picked up some Losi 32.5 wt oil, but I didn't get a chance to try it up front.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

did you break in the tire? I know that the gold barcodes need to be prepped. I think Wyd had a similar issue with his (the post is a page or two back).
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post
Ran the first practice tonight with my 201. Couple things kept bothering me. 1st is I seem to have no rear traction, the slightest tap of the brakes and it's swapping ends. I had to back off the brakes to 50% and even then I have to be careful. The 2nd is jumping. For most jumps it comes off nose up. I'd like for it to be a little more flat. Overall it just jumps poorly. I ended up cartwheeling or upside down more times than I can count. I also managed to snap off the two aluminum fluoride coated ballstuds in the XV-01 rear hubs at the same time in a flip coming off a jump. I had to move the ball stud to the farthest outward position on the forward row as i still have half the stud stuck in the middle position. This made the upper tie rods longer.

Setup:
400wt tamiya kit oil up front with 1.4 pistons and black spring (wanted to use 32.5 low, but no one had it till today)
23mm ride height
25 degree front uprights
XA rear front mount
full size lipo
new gold Bar Codes front and rear with standard open cell foam inserts (could not find anyone local with closed cell in stock).

I can work on filling out a setup sheet tomorrow for further information. I picked up some Losi 32.5 wt oil, but I didn't get a chance to try it up front.
Are you running a cut t-plate?? and i would say the tire choice is not on or needs broke in ... these cars have TONS of rear bite never a issue ....
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

did you break in the tire? I know that the gold barcodes need to be prepped.
+1 - This is usually true of the gold barcodes. As well, anytime you're using a gold barcode, it basically needs to be on closed cell foam in the rear. If the track has enough grip and is of the hard-packed nature to require that type of tire, the open cell foam will just collapse all the time and make what should otherwise be a grippy setup very squirmy in the rear. You can still run open-cell in the front, but even then, the "trick" is to stuff roughly 3/4th's of a rear foam into the front tire to make it firm enough.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post

Setup:
23mm ride height
25 degree front uprights
XA rear front mount
full size lipo

Seems like your oils are a little soft compared to a lot of setups I have read over. I have my brakes turned down to 45% as I like just enough brake to slow me up and just enough to be able to to spin around 180 degree turns.

Not sure at your track but when I ran gold bar codes until I have about 8 to 10 runs on them they didn't work but now broken in they are stuck like glue on our track. I did do the cut t plate mod and over my +8 Exotek kit I found it make huge amounts of traction. My our track I like the rear block in the standard position and I used the 30 degree front blocks as I like a good amount of power steering. Going to try 25 blocks but just didn't get to them yet. I currently run 400wt front oil with the 1.4 pistons and 350 rear oil with the 1.3 pistons in the Much More oil. I and on our high bite super smooth track and on Wed a really medium bite super bumpy track and the car worked great on both tracks with zero suspension changes.

Mine does jump a little nose high if I'm trying to make a super long jump (the kind that guys make 3 out of 6 times as best so I almost always take the most consistent lines). I use the Associated Big Bore black springs for the front and Associated white BB springs in the rear. Car has been awesome ever since. Here is my full setup. It has a mild on power push but otherwise it is super easy to drive.

Last edited by wyd; 07-01-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Suspended

WhiteLX, have you ever run off-road before this? There are a lot of little things that if not correct will really negatively effect the way your car drives. Put your car to The FULL kit setup, and start from there. You did the same thing like WYD did, you changed a bunch of stuff without even running the car, and then wondered why it didn't work. Also, at which track were you running your car?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Also, aluminum ballstuds? You must be an onroad guy.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

did you break in the tire? I know that the gold barcodes need to be prepped. I think Wyd had a similar issue with his (the post is a page or two back).
I wanted to, but didn't have enough time. I'll run them on the street a bit this weekend to break them in.

WhiteLX, have you ever run off-road before this? There are a lot of little things that if not correct will really negatively effect the way your car drives. Put your car to The FULL kit setup, and start from there. You did the same thing like WYD did, you changed a bunch of stuff without even running the car, and then wondered why it didn't work. Also, at which track were you running your car?
It's been probably 20 years since I raced offroad.

Also, aluminum ballstuds? You must be an onroad guy.
No, it's just the only thing that was in stock. I wanted the steel ballstuds, I just didn't know how fragile the aluminum ballstuds would be.

Track was SDRC.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Yes I changed the setup before I ran it and in the end it had nothing to do with why my car didn't work. It was 100% tires and once broken in my car has been on rails ever since with pretty much my starting setup. Car has been awesome since that first day struggles with new tires on.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Do any of you guys have issues with the wing mounts constantly coming loose? I have half a mind of just CAing the screw onto the mount and calling it a day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.