Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Initiate

What gearing do you prefer for the buggy. 17.5motor....75 or 72 ae spur? 30pinion?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Updegraff View Post
What gearing do you prefer for the buggy. 17.5motor....75 or 72 ae spur? 30pinion?
When I run 17.5/blinky I use a 72 Kimbrough/AE-style spur gear. From there, it really depends on what motor you're running and your propensity to narrow your powerband by cranking the endbell or to leave it with less motor timing. Something like the Revtech will be alright around a 30 unless your track is massive. Something like the Orion and you'll want the biggest pinion you can jam in there. YMMV.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank You MarkA
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran my car for the first time at our track today. It's an outdoor, low grip track. Started with the shock weight 30F/25R and Losi BB red front/yellow rear. I also have the 1* rear hubs. The car had a lot of push. I switch the front shock oil to 27.5 and the car had better front grip. I then added 21g of weight in front of the servo and it turned even better. I see one of the brass bulkheads in my future for sure. Running Pro-Line Holeshot M4 front/rear the car handled really nice and was easy to drive. Better than my B4.1 WC. Once I knock a little more of the rust off (it's been 2 months since I was last at the track), I think I'll be able to run closer to the front in our 17.5 class.

On the gearing question, I'm running a Revtech 17.5 geared 69/34. I've geared it 69/35 with my B4.1 (same trans ratio) without issues as well.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Question for those who have run the weighted bulkhead. What is the difference between the 0* and 5*?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

The 5degree will tend to limit forward weight transfer. You can read people's comments on the bulkheads on this page: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/tamiya/...ds54440-54439/
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Does anyone know of any shops that have the L parts in stock. I went to the track easly to freshen u my oil and then was checking things ou I saw the car. It alctually in 3 pieces but made it work for the day and go figure had my car working great and my best finish wiht it this year, Figures its also one of the only parts I don't have yet. Looking to by 2 or 3 packs if I can find some. Otherwise not sure how much more I will be racing til I get a new one.

Car was awesome today. Did about everyting I wanted in a car.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:28 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I guess I know why I can't find any L parts for my 201. I think Venom Group bought all of them to make their new buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I know theirs would be an exact fit and they don't even list that part for the new car they are selling. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!

Worst thing I hate is when companies sell stuff and never have the part in stock. Looks like now I have to order overseas just to get a 10 dollar part. As much as I like this car it sucks that a simple part like a top plate is like solid gold.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I guess I know why I can't find any L parts for my 201. I think Venom Group bought all of them to make their new buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I know theirs would be an exact fit and they don't even list that part for the new car they are selling. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!

Worst thing I hate is when companies sell stuff and never have the part in stock. Looks like now I have to order overseas just to get a 10 dollar part. As much as I like this car it sucks that a simple part like a top plate is like solid gold.
This what your looking for? Shoot me a PM
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF2WD thread-image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom View Post
This what your looking for? Shoot me a PM
Thats the solid gold piece I been looking for. I ordered 3 from Japan but would easily pay you for the one you have but wouldn't want to cut into your spares for a hard to get part like that.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

On a good note I finished 4th in the A main for mod buggy at our track. We had 30 plus buggies and at least 20 guys that could make the A for sure and possible a few more. I qualified 6th and moved up to 4th but was as high as 2nd but a little bobble here and their so I super pumped about being 4th.

My car feels amazing for me to drive. Not sure what I want to change to honestly make it faster other than running some better lines on a few jumps at our track to shave off a tenth or two per lap but as far as the car its just feels great to me at this time. Never had a buggy that would run fast times but also be planted and very easy to drive. My setup is pretty much similar to the ones I have been reading over. The key to the puzzle has been my gold bare codes breaking in and are absolutely dialed and putting the cut t plate mod on (taking off the +8 Exotek setup) made my car leaps and bounds better. Now its just fine tuning with some shims here and their. Even some of the fast guys that didn't make the A this week watched my care and said it is was one of the best looking cars in the A.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

double post

Last edited by WhiteLX; 02-05-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For anyone using the XV-01 rear hubs, what height spacer are you using under the ball stud on the inside and (more importantly)the outside? I have nearly completed the build of my TRF201 but I didn't realize I would need to get new ball studs for the XV-01 hubs.

I am hoping to take it out for it's first practice on Thursday and it's first race in two weeks (and my first time back to racing in 15 years). Would it be OK to charge the lipo at home and drive 40 minutes to the track with the lipo fully charged? I would like to maximize the limited amount of time I have at the track and waiting for a battery to charge would really cut down on track time.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post
For anyone using the XV-01 rear hubs, what height spacer are you using under the ball stud on the inside and (more importantly)the outside? I have nearly completed the build of my TRF201 but I didn't realize I would need to get new ball studs for the XV-01 hubs.

I am hoping to take it out for it's first practice on Thursday and it's first race in two weeks (and my first time back to racing in 15 years). Would it be OK to charge the lipo at home and drive 40 minutes to the track with the lipo fully charged? I would like to maximize the limited amount of time I have at the track and waiting for a battery to charge would really cut down on track time.
I do it every week doesnt hurt one bit ...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post

Zero on the inside, 2mm on the outside.

I also charge my first pack of the day at home and drive to the track like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.