Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3jp
How does this buggy perform on loose dusty bumpy tracks? All I have run is the AE B4.1.It seems to handle well in these conditions.In this part of the country we have nice tracks,but no blue groove tracks at all.They are all loose sandy tracks.I suppose what I a trying to say is,is this buggy better suited for euro tracks,like on grass or carpet,high bite tracks?Just looking at some pics of the buggy,it doesn't look like the rear shocks will lay down as much as the b4.1.

best regards jimmy
This is not a high-bite Euro specific buggy. In fact, most of the time, when you see it winning bigger races in Europe, it's during the outdoor season when they're racing on dirt that's often loamier than ours.

When having driven my 201 back to back with a b4.1 on the same tires on loose conditions, the 201 has always been more planted on the rear. When the B4.1 guys tend to struggle for rear grip, I chase more steering so how much you like it will likely depend on your driving style and preference for over/understeer. Petitrc has my non-clay, just dusty dirt track setup posted here even and you can surmise just by the tires/inserts used that it's not a very grippy track there.

Plus, at the price they're selling them for, it's not a major investment to just give it a quick try as compared to say, just wanting to try an RB6 or SVR. Just be prepared to deal with a buggy that will have less slop after 20 race days than one from brand "A" will out of the box...
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NUZUM
Will AE pin type wheels and front wheels bolt direct ??
The AE rears do fit, I use to run the rears of my B44.1 on my 201. It was a while ago, if I remember correctly it was a tight fit. Like stated before you need the different axles to run the fronts.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I see some are running the 22 rear uprights (HUBS) what is needed for this ? i take it just the Hubs and outer bearing.... is hinge pin size the same?
and what position are u running on these hubs
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know about the Losi hubs but the middle, foward row seems to be the starting point for the new Tamiya version of those hubs.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkA
I don't know about the Losi hubs but the middle, foward row seems to be the starting point for the new Tamiya version of those hubs.
Thanks mark for the replys!!! man this thread is pretty dead LOL.. I must be use to the AE thread thats all ..thanks for the help ...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, you're in a very small club when you race once of these but I kinda like having the only car of it's type most people have ever seen within a 300 mile radius of me.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkA
Yeah, you're in a very small club when you race once of these but I kinda like having the only car of it's type most people have ever seen within a 300 mile radius of me.
i hear ya ..Ae was a good car but got very sloppy and kinda cheap.... Mark can u share your setup with me to give me a ballpark to go from ?? i run on high bite clay ...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

I can't really say I have a good clay setup, our indoor tracks here are a mix of just dirt and clay so for example, the track I run at most regularly now, M4 beats MC and gold doesn't work too well. But, based my on experience of trying other people's setups, I'd recommend looking at Lee Martin and/or Randy Castor's for those.

The good news is that I've found this car to have a very wide sweet spot so you don't need to overthink setup too much. Going from loose outdoors to med grip indoors, I've wound up back at the setup I linked too last page but with more weight on the front, the alum rear hubs (seem to help with rotation), different tires and wing and a switch from stock to mod motors/gearing and that's all.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just ordered a 201 and put my B4.1 Worlds out to pasture. Can anyone give me a good starting setup for an outdoor track with low grip and usually wet? I will most likely run full size lipos. I currently have quite a few sets of Losi big bore springs so would like to be able to use them if possible.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone remember what page on this thread the numbers for rear toe blocks are?
I remember Racecrafter posted all the combinations and toe settings but I just can't seem to find it anymore.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pwrslider
Does anyone remember what page on this thread the numbers for rear toe blocks are?
I remember Racecrafter posted all the combinations and toe settings but I just can't seem to find it anymore.
Go to petitrc.com and go to setup section ... Tamiya section has a breakdown on it
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Anybody ever had Diff slippage issues and ballstuds breaking???? BUMMER
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Go to petitrc.com and go to setup section ... Tamiya section has a breakdown on it
I checked it out and it seems that it shows the change in anti-squat but not really toe changes.
Basically I am having a problem with too much toe in on the rear(about 5 deg!!). I thought that using all the 3deg alum blocks with 0.5 hub would give me 3.5deg toe in but I must have purchased the wrong part or something. I would really like to keep these parts aluminum because I crash ALOT trying to practice whipping.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Anybody ever had Diff slippage issues and ballstuds breaking???? BUMMER
Stock diff/thrust balls? How loose is it set? What motor?

As far as ball studs go....if they are the gold ones, take them out. Most of the team uses these.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53969

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53968

Originally Posted by pwrslider
I checked it out and it seems that it shows the change in anti-squat but not really toe changes.
Basically I am having a problem with too much toe in on the rear(about 5 deg!!). I thought that using all the 3deg alum blocks with 0.5 hub would give me 3.5deg toe in but I must have purchased the wrong part or something. I would really like to keep these parts aluminum because I crash ALOT trying to practice whipping.

Any suggestions?
Why would you need 5* rear toe? Do you have the front and rear alum 3* holders?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom
Stock diff/thrust balls? How loose is it set? What motor?

As far as ball studs go....if they are the gold ones, take them out. Most of the team uses these.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53969

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53968

Why would you need 5* rear toe? Do you have the front and rear alum 3* holders?
No, I don't want that much. That's what my car just seems to have.
I just checked the car right now and it has the
54242 and 54243 and 0.5deg uprights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.