Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Hex hub testing went very well! No breakages and the car handled very much the same.

Further testing needs to be done to see what the life expectancy will be for the bearings and the knuckles.
Great news Jimmy.

What wheels were you doing your testing with? AKA wheels for the b4?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

what shock orings are you guys using ??
i changed mine to the Tamiya 42214 RC Damper X-Rings
and they have started weeping oil ...
using losi oils

thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revsinc View Post
what shock orings are you guys using ??
i changed mine to the Tamiya 42214 RC Damper X-Rings
and they have started weeping oil ...
using losi oils

thanks
Go back to page 211 and you will find some good info about shocks o-rings.
The original red ones are the only that last for a long period without leaking but are not butter smooth as x-rings, that start leaking very soon and need frequent rebuilts.
I use Kyosho Red x rings (ORG03XR) with losi oil and they works fine, last longer than Tamiya X ones.
Bye
WWD
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The only negative I have about is this car so far is the otherwise buttery-smooth, would be the best shocks I've ever owned if they didn't leak, never stop leaking oil. I've now used the Kyosho O-rings, stock red ones, all the Tamiya ones I could find, even some AE ones. The Kyosho O-rings do last the longest but it's still only a few races worth. Nothing makes it stop. I have some Kyosho O-rings in the AE v2 shocks on my T4.1 and it hasn't leaked a single drop since January.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom View Post
Great news Jimmy.

What wheels were you doing your testing with? AKA wheels for the b4?
Ray, Yes I was using the AKA hex fronts. (AE, Kyo)

The bummer part of this is that the bearings for this application are too small. The little 5x8 size is just no match for the loads of an off road buggy. The second day of testing the one bearing completely exploded and the other three upon inspection were on their way out. I am looking into the Kyo knuckles as they carry a larger 5x10 bearing which we all know works very well.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

As some of you may know we have a couple of our own (Track Star R/C) variants of shock O-rings. The SC104x4 and a set for the Losi 22 that we just released.

Having said that I can say that the o-rings in the 201, 502 etc are "good" they are not the best or as good as they could be. I have used the 50 duro x-rings from Tamiya with great success but they do leak. Even when shimming the seal package correctly they have a slight weep which is fine, just bothersome for clean up.

I have been asked why we don't make orings for the standard shocks and my answer was that there are many to choose from that are adequate. It seems that I need to rethink my original answer and invest in these especially since AE and Kyo BB shocks are using the standard size 3mm O and X rings.

Stay tuned.....
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd try just about any alternate orings at this point...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Track Star CORGP short report:

4 TRF 201's at the event..... All made The Big Show! (A-mains)

(2 in Open 2wd and 2 in 17.5NT)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Just odered a AE VTS slipper to go on my 201, is a straight bolt on or do I need to modify any parts??

A few of us are going through front arms on the 201, are there any stronger brands out there that would fit with a bit of work??

B4, RB5??
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Headling View Post
Just odered a AE VTS slipper to go on my 201, is a straight bolt on or do I need to modify any parts??

A few of us are going through front arms on the 201, are there any stronger brands out there that would fit with a bit of work??

B4, RB5??
The slipper conversion is straight bolt on except for the slipper spring. You'll need the AE or Kyosho slipper spring. Also the stock gear cover will not work.

As far as arms go, which arms are you breaking? The kit ones or the high traction ones?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Ran buggy for the first time last week and so far I like it. Fighting a bit of a push but I'm sure she'll settle in once I started playing around with the setup. I don't know if this has been mentioned before but JConcepts now makes a 69t spur for the ae buggy which should fit the 201 fine. This should help with those running 17.5 like i am with gearing. Just thought I'd throw that out.

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=606
Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

forgot to ask...

Jimmy,

I believe you mentioned that you weren't running a slipper in your 17.5 buggy. How are you doing this if you don't mind me asking? Or is it top secret??

Thanks,

Josh
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

The slipper conversion is straight bolt on except for the slipper spring. You'll need the AE or Kyosho slipper spring. Also the stock gear cover will not work.

As far as arms go, which arms are you breaking? The kit ones or the high traction ones?
Thanks for the reply Ray, look forward to trying the VTS on the car as the kit slipper seems very sensitive (slips or wheelys)

Im using the kit arms (bendy ones) I am yet to try the high traction ones but have ordered a set to try.

I have been looking on line and maybe dex210 or Rb5 arms could work but would rather stick to the Tamiya parts.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by littleZEN View Post
forgot to ask...

Jimmy,

I believe you mentioned that you weren't running a slipper in your 17.5 buggy. How are you doing this if you don't mind me asking? Or is it top secret??

Thanks,

Josh
No too "top secret" but it's taking longer to get the parts made for production than we thought. (I swear this made in the US thing is killing us) We (Track Star) will have something for you guys as soon as possible.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Headling View Post
Thanks for the reply Ray, look forward to trying the VTS on the car as the kit slipper seems very sensitive (slips or wheelys)

Im using the kit arms (bendy ones) I am yet to try the high traction ones but have ordered a set to try.

I have been looking on line and maybe dex210 or Rb5 arms could work but would rather stick to the Tamiya parts.
You are correct in saying that the slipper is sensitive. I use 100% Tamiya parts in the slippers of my mod cars and the best thing I have found is to keep aluminum parts clean by lightly sanding them every 2-3 races. Also something to try is to take a sharp (new or newer) hole punch and punch 3-5 concentric holes in the pads. This will aid in slipping and catching debris from the slipper material.

As far as front arms go, the AE's are the closest to stock geometry. However they use different size hinge pins so some precision drilling will be required. The #54265 front arms are stiffer and a little stronger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.