Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Roman View Post
When using Losi big bore springs with standard Tamiya shocks, how do you stop the spring from rubbing on the rear camber link ?
Space the bottom of the shock away from the arm.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Thanks Panda.

I'll have to invest in the alloy rear hubs.
0.5 degrees or 0.0 degrees ?
Are the standard plastic rear hubs 0.0 degrees or more ?
They actually look like they are adding rear toe, but I'm not sure.

Are you going to run the big bore springs too Panda ?

Go Team TRF !
The stock hubs are "0". The stock suspension blocks make 3.0 degrees of toe.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I'm a mid pack Sportsman driver. Although the car probably isn't going to make me faster, I'm still interested in which one is best. That being said, I just spent a week setting up 2 cars. 1) the venerable Kyosho RB5 WC and the 2)TRF201.....I'll have a 22 in a week to try out as well. I had a Durango DEX210 and it was great but not for me. Anyway, here are my findings so far:

The WC- went together great. Spent a lot of time with set up. After the 3rd trip to the track it felt really good.

The TRF201- had a little set up help and admittedly setting up the WC gave me some ideas. Anyway, I got the car ready to race last Friday @ 4:00. I didn't even practice a single lap. Threw down on the track and raced it without even trying it and did pretty well. Its almost dialed. Wow, what an easy to drive car! I have the yellow (medium Tamiya springs) all the way around, aluminum rear C hubs, aluminum ABC...rear hinge pin holders and did the T-Plate mod. Even with questionable tires it was hooked up. I'll probably end up selling another one of my RB5's. I'm really impressed!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks Jimmy.

QDRHRSE , I found the same thing when a fellow club racer let me try their TRF201, it was so stable and easy to drive.
I had been driving B4's and X6's up until now.
Just bought a TRF201 and can't wait to race it.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I cant wait to build and race this car. That one class im looking
forward to this year. 2WD MOD BUGGY. Looks like tekin/tamiya/and futaba.
I should have the car next month. Im probably gonna run the kit setup
since I'll be racing it outdoors.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I'm a mid pack Sportsman driver. Although the car probably isn't going to make me faster, I'm still interested in which one is best. That being said, I just spent a week setting up 2 cars. 1) the venerable Kyosho RB5 WC and the 2)TRF201.....I'll have a 22 in a week to try out as well. I had a Durango DEX210 and it was great but not for me. Anyway, here are my findings so far:

The WC- went together great. Spent a lot of time with set up. After the 3rd trip to the track it felt really good.

The TRF201- had a little set up help and admittedly setting up the WC gave me some ideas. Anyway, I got the car ready to race last Friday @ 4:00. I didn't even practice a single lap. Threw down on the track and raced it without even trying it and did pretty well. Its almost dialed. Wow, what an easy to drive car! I have the yellow (medium Tamiya springs) all the way around, aluminum rear C hubs, aluminum ABC...rear hinge pin holders and did the T-Plate mod. Even with questionable tires it was hooked up. I'll probably end up selling another one of my RB5's. I'm really impressed!
I bought this car of a ex sponsored local driver,rebuilt the car fresh will all new parts i had when i got it,by far this was the most stout car I've owned.The shocks are super smooth.i ended up selling it due to some finacial stuff i was going through,wish i had a little more time with it.The car had every option that trf had out.Man i miss the car,i heard if you run the 3b pistons it really makes a huge difference in the handling.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF2WD thread-photo-2.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-photo-3.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-photo-4.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-photo-5.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mxracer458 View Post
I bought this car of a ex sponsored local driver,rebuilt the car fresh will all new parts i had when i got it,by far this was the most stout car I've owned.The shocks are super smooth.i ended up selling it due to some finacial stuff i was going through,wish i had a little more time with it.The car had every option that trf had out.Man i miss the car,i heard if you run the 3b pistons it really makes a huge difference in the handling.
Does Tamiya have a 3b or are you referring to a Kyosho 3b piston?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Does Tamiya have a 3b or are you referring to a Kyosho 3b piston?
Yea kyosho pistons,Westcoast was out the 1 day I had on the car,I bet some 3b pistons and bb springs would help it out alot
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,
can some one tell me what i have to look for to buy Kyosho 3b pistons??
Part #? Link? .....
Thanks.
WWD
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I noticed that after a couple of minor crashes / body roles, the wingmounts are deformed to the left side when viewed from the back of the chassis. Meaning the wing isn't mounted flat anymore.

Have you guys the same thing? Is there something you can do to keep the wing nice "straight"?

Any help is welcome
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

I have a couple of sets of 3b's but if I'm going spend the $ on Kyosho springs I may as well use Kyosho BB too....I have a set. No big deal.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wildwillydriver View Post
Hi,
can some one tell me what i have to look for to buy Kyosho 3b pistons??
Part #? Link? .....
Thanks.
WWD
KYOW5181-03

You'll need two packages I believe, as each package will only have one pair of each piston size. I use 3Bs in all 4 of my shocks.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Racing this weekend

I'll be running my TRF 201 this weekend at the Castlehill Offroad track (Sydney, Aus). it is that clubs major event for the year and part of an interclub challenge. Large field for 2wd stock - down to D. I managed to get some bigger pinions as well to improve top speed down the straight.

Set up with a 32t pinion and 72t spur gear. A 33t pinion rubs on the gear cover. Knowing this (thanks Jimmy) I purchased a B4 gear cover. It will need some adjustments to make it fit, but at this point I don't think I'll need it. I was only just getting realed in at the end of the straight with the 28t pinion at recent club meet at the Castlehill facility.

Good luck with your racing this weekend! Go TRF!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AussieTopForce View Post
I'll be running my TRF 201 this weekend at the Castlehill Offroad track (Sydney, Aus). it is that clubs major event for the year and part of an interclub challenge. Large field for 2wd stock - down to D. I managed to get some bigger pinions as well to improve top speed down the straight.

Set up with a 32t pinion and 72t spur gear. A 33t pinion rubs on the gear cover. Knowing this (thanks Jimmy) I purchased a B4 gear cover. It will need some adjustments to make it fit, but at this point I don't think I'll nJusteed it. I was only just getting realed in at the end of the straight with the 28t pinion at recent club meet at the Castlehill facility.

Good luck with your racing this weekend! Go TRF!
Just dremel the inside a bit and you will be fine
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone running a Tekin RS Pro and 7.5 motor?
What kinda gearing are you running in the car if you are?
I just like to get an idea of what my gear ratio is gonna be. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.