Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya TRF2WD thread >

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

None that I have ever seen other than maybe 3 Racing's aluminum idler gear.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Funny thing about what associated is doing with the B4 is a reaction to what is going on around them. TLR had lengthened their cars, then K and AE did at the worlds. K cars had big bores, then TLR, Randy Caster put K BB's on his Tamiya and we followed suit along with BB springs on the std shocks, and a couple weekends ago Pudge shows up with BB's on his B4 and then ran BB springs on std shocks the next week......

Funny a friend of mine just came back from a big offroad race in Ohio. All the teams where using big bores if they had them or running larger big bore springs with standard shocks. The longer chassis setups where all in full effect as well at this race. Now it looks like K is making yet another new car as some saw at this race as well. Lots of stuff going on thats for sure.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default My new TRF 201

Hi All,

I just purchased and built a new TRF 201 (Limited Edition). I intend to run it this year on Tracks in Sydney NSW Australia. Most of tracks are hard pack, but can have layer of dust on them until the 'blue line' appears. I'm looking forward to sifting through this thread to find some set up ideas.

I haven't raced since 1997 and I'm looking forward to it all again and champion my old favorite Tamiya. I ran a Top Force Evolution back in the day.

All the best with your 2012 racing endevours!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF2WD thread-_mg_9610.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-_mg_9618.jpg   Tamiya TRF2WD thread-_mg_9620.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all, new to the trf201 and offroad in general so sorry to ask such a noob question, but here goes...

I'm having an issue which feels and sounds like the slipper is too loose, but when I try tightening it still occurs. Here's the bit I'm not sure on...

The entire clutch assembly is spinning, including the counter gear shaft so it appears the slipper is tit enough even under load so I can only assume the issue is inside the gear case, but when I check that - everything is spinning correctly, so now I'm stumped...

So my question is, is it possible the diff is too loose and that is causing the same effect as a loose slipper clutch...

Edit: in true noob fashion I totally missed the sticky which is right at the top of the off road forum, ok so I have my answer on with the fixing!

Last edited by BCZero; 01-19-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BCZero View Post
Hi all, new to the trf201 and offroad in general so sorry to ask such a noob question, but here goes...

I'm having an issue which feels and sounds like the slipper is too loose, but when I try tightening it still occurs. Here's the bit I'm not sure on...

The entire clutch assembly is spinning, including the counter gear shaft so it appears the slipper is tit enough even under load so I can only assume the issue is inside the gear case, but when I check that - everything is spinning correctly, so now I'm stumped...

So my question is, is it possible the diff is too loose and that is causing the same effect as a loose slipper clutch...

Edit: in true noob fashion I totally missed the sticky which is right at the top of the off road forum, ok so I have my answer on with the fixing!
Glad you found the fix.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default bodies

Just curious on what bodies have been found to fit the 201x.. I'm looking for a cab forwad body...one that my lhs might carry...?
Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

so is there a giant parts list of thing you need besides a kit?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default ?

Are you refering to me porkchop?..Im looking to see if there is a body I can by that is cab forward with min. chopping to make fit corectly...
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Noob alert!

I have been on-road only, but our club is going to build a offroad track.
We been looking at what chassis to buy, and i want to go for 2wd buggy like TRF201 or Tamiya DN01 Zahhak.

Being totally noob on offroad what car to recommend?
What wind of motors?
Is it any point running turbo's?
Will we be better off with basic car or any other chassi that will suit us noobs?

We will be using Hobbywing Xeruns in the cars.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

Is this thread dead?

I ended up buying the DN-01 Zahhak as it's a watered down TRF201.
All options from TRF201 fits so i can upgrade later if wanted.

Bought Xerun 13.5 turn with 60A Xerun esc. Have the 2in 1 programmer so will test with different boosts. Also bought 77 tooth spur and 22, 23, 24, 25 pinion.

Next up is the slipper clutch, i think this is a musthave option.

Does all tires fit? What tires are best?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RossoTorro View Post
Is this thread dead?

I ended up buying the DN-01 Zahhak as it's a watered down TRF201.
All options from TRF201 fits so i can upgrade later if wanted.

Bought Xerun 13.5 turn with 60A Xerun esc. Have the 2in 1 programmer so will test with different boosts. Also bought 77 tooth spur and 22, 23, 24, 25 pinion.

Next up is the slipper clutch, i think this is a musthave option.

Does all tires fit? What tires are best?
The DN-01 is a great platform to start off with. Inexpensive and ready for upgrading with what you want when you want. 13.5 is a good choice I would start gearing right around 25/77 depending on the size of the track and go from there if the track is big.

Slipper is better suited to more power. If you can learn throttle control without a slipper it will make you a better driver. If you go 10.5 with boost or beyond a slipper will be needed to keep the tranny alive especially on higher bite surfaces.

Tamiya wheels for the front unless you upgrade to the "Imperial" axles which will allow you to run B4 front wheels and bearings. The rear uses Tamiya, B4 or older Losi pin drive wheels. Tire choice will greatly depend on your track surface. Loose dirt? Hard packed? Clay? Wet? Dry etc etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

LMR (Lee Martin Racing) Products now in stock at Track Star R/C!

(Parts are being loaded up as I type this)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
The DN-01 is a great platform to start off with. Inexpensive and ready for upgrading with what you want when you want. 13.5 is a good choice I would start gearing right around 25/77 depending on the size of the track and go from there if the track is big.

Slipper is better suited to more power. If you can learn throttle control without a slipper it will make you a better driver. If you go 10.5 with boost or beyond a slipper will be needed to keep the tranny alive especially on higher bite surfaces.

Tamiya wheels for the front unless you upgrade to the "Imperial" axles which will allow you to run B4 front wheels and bearings. The rear uses Tamiya, B4 or older Losi pin drive wheels. Tire choice will greatly depend on your track surface. Loose dirt? Hard packed? Clay? Wet? Dry etc etc.
Thanks for reply, seems i was not that off after all.
We have not built track yet, not sure what surface to use. Guess that comes down to costs.

What are the parts number for universals?
I know the spares number independent but not as a hop up.

Seems Tamiya don't list them on their site and hobbyshops/ebay comes up blank also.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Jimmy, nice drive in your 2wd main for you to bump up! Scotty sure makes things exciting! Way to keep those nerves in check!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Regular

Is the rear antisquat on the TRF201 0 degr when builded as for manual with the 1mm shim under the front block ?
Is there a guide regarding the different block configurations .
Thanx

Last edited by guinnes.s; 01-31-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.