I need help

Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default I need help

I have a t4 with the lrp sphere comp esc with the novak 5.5 motor on it and I am running a 87 tooth spur gear with a 16 tooth pinion gear and I have tried several different set ups and no matter what i do it starts running really hot, what should I do?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudslinger2 View Post
I have a t4 with the lrp sphere comp esc with the novak 5.5 motor on it and I am running a 87 tooth spur gear with a 16 tooth pinion gear and I have tried several different set ups and no matter what i do it starts running really hot, what should I do?
How hot? How long do you run it at one time?

Fastest motor I have run in my T4 is a 6.5 and that was a couple years ago. Don't recall what I had it geared but would guess about 18 or 19. 16 on yours should be in the ballpark but not sure exactly. A buddy of mine once ran a Sphere/4.5 in his T4 and had a lot of trouble.

Anyway, you need to know how hot, because it might be just fine even if it feels really hot. Every finger is different so are you talking 140-150* or like 180-200*??? If you can hold a finger on the motor for at least 2 seconds it's probably not hot enough to do damage. 180-200 hurts to touch even for 1 second.

Also, keep in mind that typically racers don't run out a full pack. A "run" is something like 5-7 minutes. Today's brushless/lipo can run way longer than that and temps can keep climbing the longer you run it. There are a lot of setups (like in mod 4wd and truck) that work fine for a 5-7 min race but might burn up if you run a full pack in practice.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default temp

when i put the temp gun on it after about 5 minutes of pracitce it was running around 135ish and then i ran about another 5 minute run and put the temp gun on it and it was up to 187, i just don't know. This is my first time ever owning electric so I am still learning, my wifes t3 has almost the same setup and runs perfect with no over heating issues. I am just so frustrated.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well if you're running a 5.5 motor that thing will heat up crazy-like no matter what. What kind of battery are you running in it?
I would say maybe try adding some ventilation but on a T4 that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If anything move to a 6.5T and see how that fairs? Like I said earlier the lower turn motors heat-up (and wear) very quickly, its just the nature of them.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default problems

i am running a 5000mah lipo, my buddy has the exact same motor but he has the novak gtb esc and he has not one issue, its just weird. thanks for any help
Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I use this to help with gearing. May need to bump up a couple teeth.

http://www.comeseethis.com/gearing/Default.aspx
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Make sure the drive train spins free... check for bad bearings too, in the tranny, rear hubs, and motor.

How is the power? You actually able to use that much motor? Might help to gear up a tooth as mentined, and back off the epa a few clicks.