Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transmission on rustler xl-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Transmission on rustler xl-5

I was bashing today pretty hard i think somethings striped. Theres a weird clicking nosie comeing from the back of my truck. Any suggestions????
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donald rustler
I was bashing today pretty hard i think somethings striped. Theres a weird clicking nosie comeing from the back of my truck. Any suggestions????
the same thing happened to me the other day. did you ever find out what it was?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Look for a small rock stuck in spur gear, tooth chipped off spur gear, bad gear mesh; none of these, open tranny and look for something broken in the inside gears.

Those trannies are usually pretty reliable, so I expect it is in the spur gear area.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
Look for a small rock stuck in spur gear, tooth chipped off spur gear, bad gear mesh; none of these, open tranny and look for something broken in the inside gears.

Those trannies are usually pretty reliable, so I expect it is in the spur gear area.
now the spur gear is the big black gear that goes against the motor gear right? the slipper clutch? that all looks fine. its just a ticking noise, but i can't really tell where its coming from.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

it might be an oblonged gear...if you figure it out let me know cause my xl-1 is doing this to but i haven't been able to spend time to figure it out
Old 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcdragon2
it might be an oblonged gear...if you figure it out let me know cause my xl-1 is doing this to but i haven't been able to spend time to figure it out
yea could be. right now im just running it. if something happens, i'll take it from there. i'll go ahead and open up the tranny probably.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Last time i ran mine i thought it might be a bearing but that was like 6 months ago. I got bearings for it anyways so when i have time i'm going to swap those in and check gears
Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcdragon2
Last time i ran mine i thought it might be a bearing but that was like 6 months ago. I got bearings for it anyways so when i have time i'm going to swap those in and check gears
yea thats a good idea. yea like i said, when something happens and it won't go no more, i'll take a look in the tranny. and repair what ever needs fixed. hopefully its something easy and not a lot of money.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd start by carefully checking the spur gear for a small rock stuck in it. If it's not there, then you'll have to open up the tranny and inspect the gears in there. If that doens't do it open the diff and check those gears.

I shredded my diff gears (because of worn diff case) and it made a sound similar to what you describe.

That's on my Slash, but as far as I know the trannies are both the same.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Does the shaft that the spur/slipper sit on wobble at all? I had something similar happen in an older BL Slash I had. I forget the exact piece it was but it is what the main shaft rides on so check that first before opening the diff.

Whole trannies are able to be picked up for around $30 NIB from Ebay or elsewhere from people parting out vehicles.

As for the XL-1. They are NOT the same. You should definitely upgrade to the Magnum transmission and it would be far cheaper to just buy one complete instead of replacing all the gears and other things inside.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

sounds to me youre slipper has moved if not check what other readers have mentioned
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris.s.
I'd start by carefully checking the spur gear for a small rock stuck in it. If it's not there, then you'll have to open up the tranny and inspect the gears in there. If that doens't do it open the diff and check those gears.

I shredded my diff gears (because of worn diff case) and it made a sound similar to what you describe.

That's on my Slash, but as far as I know the trannies are both the same.
yea i can look over it again.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Does the shaft that the spur/slipper sit on wobble at all? I had something similar happen in an older BL Slash I had. I forget the exact piece it was but it is what the main shaft rides on so check that first before opening the diff.

Whole trannies are able to be picked up for around $30 NIB from Ebay or elsewhere from people parting out vehicles.

As for the XL-1. They are NOT the same. You should definitely upgrade to the Magnum transmission and it would be far cheaper to just buy one complete instead of replacing all the gears and other things inside.

Good luck!
no it doesn't wobble.not that i saw.i can check though. yea if everything looks fine at what was mentioned to check, i'll just keep running for now.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i bet the motor wiggled loose and the gear mesh is too tight. you want your pinion's (motor gear) teeth to not quite bottom out in the spur gear's teeth. (slipper clutch). the old rule of thumb is to put a piece of notebook paper between them and tighten the motor down. roll the gears to get the paper out and run the truck. typically an internal tranny problem will give you performance issues too, not just a clicking noise.

for the wobbling topshaft. i split my tranny and cleaned it out and swapped the bearings and the wobble went away.. that was in my slash.

ben
Old 04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bschanz
i bet the motor wiggled loose and the gear mesh is too tight. you want your pinion's (motor gear) teeth to not quite bottom out in the spur gear's teeth. (slipper clutch). the old rule of thumb is to put a piece of notebook paper between them and tighten the motor down. roll the gears to get the paper out and run the truck. typically an internal tranny problem will give you performance issues too, not just a clicking noise.

for the wobbling topshaft. i split my tranny and cleaned it out and swapped the bearings and the wobble went away.. that was in my slash.

ben
could be. after the screws came loose, i put the motor back in place. i used red locktite so the screws would not come loose again. well, after i saw there was still a problem, i went to loosen the 2 screws for the motor, and one came out, the other would not. i tried everything. now the head of the screw is stripped.it wont budge! so until i have to get to it, i guess its gonna stay. because i don't want to break the threads in the back of the motor. if i could get that screw out, i would put a new one in and do that with a piece of paper and the slipper clutch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.