Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a good 4WD electric buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default Looking for a good 4WD electric buggy

I am searching for any and all input on a reliable, 4WD ELECTRIC buggy. (That is until Associated gets off their @$$ and makes one!!!) I have all the other equipment so I'm just interested in the car itself. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Tech Rookie

My Schumacher CAT 3000 has survived everything I could throw at it for a year, with only wear&tear parts breaking . A new model is due out anytime, so the old one should be reduced soon to clear stock.

Watch out though, as it only takes saddle packs
Old 04-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

the losi XXX-4 is a good 4x4, i recomend getting the graphite plus one though. i heard that it's alot better then all the other ones, and so easy to setup, and you don't break as easy as you use to.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The Losi xxx-4 G+ is by far the best performer in the class right now but if you are looking for durability the MR4-BC Special and the cat3000 are a bit more durable.

If you are interested I have a G+ in excelent condition available for $200 + shipping.

Mark
Old 04-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Check out www.jconcepts.net They are designing a TC3 B4 hybrid 4wheel drive offroad car. Looks very nice i plan to pick one up once it goes into production.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

The J Concepts one looks nice, but availability might be low and cost high for a TC3 hybrid. It uses a lot of B$ parts so that won't be ass much of an issue for breakage. I have the Yok BC Dogfighter 2 and have had problems with stripped belts, but it seems to be only me. Others say it holds up really well, but so far its been a bit of a headache. Yokomo is rumored to be working on a shaft drive version, but don't hold your breath. There's also an Academy one due to come out soon. The XXX4 Losi is good, but I've heard of people complaining about it being fragile, although I 've also heard it handles really good. There is also a XX4 Losi conversion that is coming out in the next couple months that looks good too.; maybe a little too exotic though. You ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different responses, although the Losi is probably the most common and has the most support.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks so far for the advice, hoping to avoid Team Losi, not happy with their products in the past. I would prefer a shaft drive, makes more sense since belts strip even in on-road racing. Not in any hurry, thankfully, wait and see what's on the horizon this year.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am sort of in the same boat as you. If I do go to a place that runs offroad, I may pickup a 4wd buggy. But I don't think I want a losi again ( had the XX4, broke too much ).

So far the BJ4x4 probably will be about $500 dollars. I bet you get a lot of nice things with it, but that price range I might as well pickup a 1/8 buggy and run that instead.

The X-5 XX4 conversion looks interesting, but parts will be an issue since the XX4 has been discontinued for awhile now.

The TC3-O is nice, and you can bolt alot of the parts on to a TC3, but even that is alittle pricey for what you get as well ( about $200 ).

After reading around, one dark horse vehicle that has my interest right now is the one coming from Academy, the SB4 Sport and I believe they will make a pro model. It is only $199 shipped from MRC. Looking at the vehicle it does have potenial if it can stay together. Just need someone to do a test on it.

If someone could write Car Action or WildHobbies to do a review would be great. Seems 4wd racing may pickup this year and a class of 19 turn 4wd buggies would be pretty cool.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

very impressive first try by mrc..sb sport
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

If you're worried about parts for the XX4 conversion, I bet the Academy will be hard for parts too. Yet to be seen, but that's my guess. Either way, with either car, I bet it would be a good idea to stock up on common parts like a-arms so you won't be out of commission when a basic part breaks and your LHS doesn't sell parts.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

juss get the dominate 4wd that the lhs will have parts for....XXX4
Old 04-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

All 4wd electric buggies are not that common. its just not a popular class. The Losi is probably the most common of all of them, but if you check 10 shops, I bet most won't have parts for it.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

sice losi sold their sole to the devil, my hobby shop no longer carries their products
Old 04-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

? Not sure what that means. Explain.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by edseb
? Not sure what that means. Explain.
Team Losi has joined forces with Horizon Hobbies and have now been alienated by all other distributers. It's ok, I don't buy from Team Lousy anyway. (Oops, did I just say that outloud? LOL)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.