What do I need to buy for an RC-8B?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do I need to buy for an RC-8B?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? What do I need to buy for an RC-8B?

Hi U guys have a kick ass Forum going...
I'm receiving this RC8B in about a month and have some newb questions.
All that's included is in the pictures ,what else will I need to buy to make this thing go close to 80-100mph and be tough enough to be bashed on lots of high jumps etc ?

I know hardly anything about these including hex or tire/wheel sizes.Can I use larger scale tires in one such as Proline Masher 40?
If I run Sand Paddles which size?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acid8
All that's included is in the pictures ,what else will I need to buy to make this thing go close to 80-100mph and be tough enough to be bashed on lots of high jumps etc ?

With that plan I would expect alot of broken parts...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Icey101
With that plan I would expect alot of broken parts...
OK do you own one?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

just so i'm understanding you right, you're converting this to electric and intending on using it for bashing and speed runs ?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Are you going to stay nitro ? You wont get near those speeds if you do .

Even if you go with a high powered brushless system the fastest your gonna get and still stay reliable is 50-60 mph , still VERY fast IMO (have you ever seen a 1/8 buggy at 50+ ? Its insane !)

If you are going electric you will need

A motor and ESC , I am partial too Castle products ..

A nitro conversion kit , this will have a motor mount , battery tray and other things needed too convert fron nitro too electric .

A decent servo , something with AT LEAST 150oz of torque .

A 2.4Ghz radio system , you dont want to use AM or FM systems cause large motor system (like the Mamba Monster and T8) will cause interference and that is the last thing you want when running high speed .

BTW the buggy looks great in the pics , looks like it wasnt used much by the bottom of the chassis ...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Are you going to stay nitro ? You wont get near those speeds if you do .

Even if you go with a high powered brushless system the fastest your gonna get and still stay reliable is 50-60 mph , still VERY fast IMO (have you ever seen a 1/8 buggy at 50+ ? Its insane !)

If you are going electric you will need

A motor and ESC , I am partial too Castle products ..

A nitro conversion kit , this will have a motor mount , battery tray and other things needed too convert fron nitro too electric .

A decent servo , something with AT LEAST 150oz of torque .

A 2.4Ghz radio system , you dont want to use AM or FM systems cause large motor system (like the Mamba Monster and T8) will cause interference and that is the last thing you want when running high speed .

BTW the buggy looks great in the pics , looks like it wasnt used much by the bottom of the chassis ...
Thanks I was lucky to pick it up for the price ...

Not nitro ...I've never run nitro but have used a few brushless setups ...

I already have some Chinese 1/8 Car ESC capable of 6s LiPo So I will go with like a maybe a HobyKing motor to start with.
As soon as any of the first setup breaks I will go for a MMM ,I'm also totally sold on Castle products

So it will be a cheaper start including the conversion kit being a Chinese one http://www.okhobby.hk/product.php?id_product=1077

What wheel/tire/hex sizes for this buggy?
And I'm guessing size 40 Masher tires are too big yes?

Thank you !!!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks I was lucky to pick it up for the price ...

Not nitro ...I've never run nitro but have used a few brushless setups ...

I already have some Chinese 1/8 Car ESC capable of 6s LiPo So I will go with like a maybe a HobyKing motor to start with.
As soon as any of the first setup breaks I will go for a MMM ,I'm also totally sold on Castle products

So it will be a cheaper start including the conversion kit being a Chinese one http://www.okhobby.hk/product.php?id_product=1077

What wheel/tire/hex sizes for this buggy?
And I'm guessing size 40 Masher tires are too big yes?
Yeah , dont do MT tires , if you wanted a monster truck then you should have bought one . Not trying too be an ass , just trying too save you money and heartache trying too do something that wont work very well .

That buggy has diffs that are geared for smaller diameter wheels like the buggy wheels , if you put large diameter MT wheels on you will have trouble gearing it too stay cool .

As an electric buggy the RC8b is awesome ! Very responsive chassis and pretty tough too . I have a RC Monster converted RC8 which I converted too a 4x4 Short Course Truck and I have a blast running at my local track .
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a RC Monster converted RC8 which I converted too a 4x4 Short Course Truck and I have a blast running at my local track .
Man that thing is nice!!!

Still no idea which wheels fit the RC8B ????
Is it all 1/8 buggy wheels? How would I search for the wheel type say in Tower website or other on-line shops?

Also non dish type wheels , do I have lots of funky options?

Sand Paddles too???
What size will fit???
Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Man that thing is nice!!!

Still no idea which wheels fit the RC8B ????
Is it all 1/8 buggy wheels? How would I search for the wheel type say in Tower website or other on-line shops?

Also non dish type wheels , do I have lots of funky options?

Sand Paddles too???
What size will fit???
Any 1/8 buggy wheel with a 17mm hex will fit , dont know if anybody makes paddles for a 1/8 buggy ? Their are MANY different tire and wheel designs to choose from for a 1/8 buggy .
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Hi U guys have a kick ass Forum going...
I'm receiving this RC8B in about a month and have some newb questions.

I know hardly anything about these including hex or tire/wheel sizes.Can I use larger scale tires in one such as Proline Masher 40?
If I run Sand Paddles which size?

Thanks!!!
Look here

Dont use monster truck tires. Use OFNA Foams or some OFNA belted tires. You will need to get a very small spur and I have a feeling your Chinese electronics will fry. You will need some Castle equipment. Any wheel with a 17mm hex will fit. If you want a lot of info go to ISC.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Thats freakin sweet ! But I think he wants to be able too run it off road and on road . If he gears it for speed runs and then takes it out and bashes with that gearing he will burn up the motor or ESC within minutes .

Acid8 is new too this and I dont want him too become one of those "I was running my brushless buggy when all of a sudden fire came shooting out from under the body !" guys ....

Never said 100+ wasnt possible , just not the way he wants to run the buggy .
Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Thats freakin sweet ! But I think he wants to be able too run it off road and on road . If he gears it for speed runs and then takes it out and bashes with that gearing he will burn up the motor or ESC within minutes .

Acid8 is new too this and I dont want him too become one of those "I was running my brushless buggy when all of a sudden fire came shooting out from under the body !" guys ....

Never said 100+ wasnt possible , just not the way he wants to run the buggy .
I understand what he meant, Im just trying to help him with the speed run part of the situation.

For bashing hes going to have to change the gearing and the pack voltage. i.e for speed runs use a MMM on 6s with a 2200 geared 23/34. Then for bashing switch to 4s and 16/46.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys a hell of a lot of great info !!!
I might start off as a basher...

b4maz I've been following your videos on youtube for the last month ...and you already offered some advice there too

What a coincidence to meet here too thanks

For my first set I might just get regular belted tires and maybe sand paddles and after I get to know the buggy more I will definately try foams too!!!

I will try to find out more about changing the spur!