Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Short Course brushed motors? >

Short Course brushed motors?

Short Course brushed motors?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Short Course brushed motors?

I'm new to the electric "racing" scene, but not the rc scene by any means. I'm soon going to be buying the traxxas slash(Best mix for me), and I was wondering what my best choices would be for a brushed motor ranging from 12 turn to 19 turn for my local intermediate short course class would be? I was thinking 15-17turns would be ideal, but things, even with the brushed motors, have changed so much in a few years that I don't know where to start anymore. I can't afford to go brushless yet so this is my only option. It's not a very long track, so a good mix of torque and speed would be ideal, Basically I just want to find the most powerful brushed motor for these conditions.
any info or input would be great, thanks in advance.
-Brock
Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

best bet for torque and speed would probably be a high quality 19 turn motor

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Motor-19T-Spec

or the team checkpoint ones

gear it right and have fun
Old 02-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't really understand the 12t and 19t, is 19t stronger than the stock 12t
Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Arrow

By most specs, a 19t would have more torque than a 12t, a 12t is capable of spinning at a higher RPM, but has less windings, making the power to get there less. A 19t has more windings giving it the ability to spool up faster(thus more torque.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it goes. The more the windings, the slower max RPM, but more torque. The fewer the windings, the lower the torque and the more the max RPM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

sct class has rules, probably stock motor and esc there locally, the only option is batteries which is probably limited to 2s lipo. you don't want to spend the money then not qualify to race.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Our local track rules for the intermediate class runs 12t up to 19t brushed or 13.5t brushless, so until I can afford the brushless, I'll be using a brushed motor/esc combo. I plan on sticking with the xl-5, mainly because it's waterproofed(for bashing purposes) and it generally runs pretty cool from what I've experienced, so it seems like a good choice esc wise...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a slash with the stock Titan 12t, if I put in a stock motor from another kit, would it still count as stock? I'm asking this because I don't like the way my Titan performs.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Rookie

depending upon your track rules. Mine states that as a spec car you must have a motor from one of the RTR Short course trucks, but in intermediate, You are eligible to use any 12t to 19t motor that is ROAR legal.

So basically it comes down to the track you race at, and how many classes there are.

-Brock
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Basher View Post
I have a slash with the stock Titan 12t, if I put in a stock motor from another kit, would it still count as stock? I'm asking this because I don't like the way my Titan performs.
depending on your track rules..however what is your titan not doing? I loved mine geared it up 22/87 and that motor ran like crazy
Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

@nitroluver I like how it runs once I get it up to speed but it is very slow getting there and I have geared to 19/86 is that good?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

From what I've seen, the titan is the best performing 12t spec motor of all the SC trucks available. Just play with your' gearing until you find the mixture that suits your' driving style. Going lipo I've heard tends to really wake up the Titan. I'd go that way, or brushless before switching to a slower motor...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm already at lipo haha but thanks I'll play around with the gearing.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Basher View Post
@nitroluver I like how it runs once I get it up to speed but it is very slow getting there and I have geared to 19/86 is that good?
a little late sorry...umm have you cleaned or oiled the motor? I ran a brand new one on 22/87 and had to be teched because I was pulling other slashes on the straight with enough to clear every jump on the track with ease..with 19/86 should be fine..how old is the motor? they don't last forever so get another and you could probably go 21/86 or 23/90 depending on your track with good results