Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SC10 which differential gear or ball??? >

SC10 which differential gear or ball???

SC10 which differential gear or ball???

Old 02-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
I'm planning to get SC10 and wondering if the stock differential is good enough or i need to upgrade to MIP ball diff?

Any input on this and what will be the main difference between these two diffs?
Cheers and thanks
Cliff - What class do you plan on running? Stock or Mod SC? if its stock then you probably can't run the ball diff depending on your track rules. The only time I would even consider running a ball diff was if I ran modified with some serious horsepower and the gear diff started "diffing out", and that would be after I tried tuning the gear diff with various 1/8 silicone oil. But I will tell you, if you plan to only run Stock SC the gear diff is awesome, just make sure you properly build with black grease, its dialed!....
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks for all response.
I'll be racing mode going to buy my secound Tekin 8.5 combo it thing.
So is the MIP good or Associated is better???
Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
thanks for all response.
I'll be racing mode going to buy my secound Tekin 8.5 combo it thing.
So is the MIP good or Associated is better???
Any part no. for the ball diff! Need to order.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by andre lim View Post
Any part no. for the ball diff! Need to order.
Thanks
ASC9853: SC10 Ball Differential $35.99

Can't find it available anywhere. Seems that AE decided to announce it without actually mass producing the friggin product. Towerhobbies as an order pending but who knows when they're going to get it in.

On another note, dude at the lhs said that the gear diff can handle a lot more power than the ball diff. Don't know how much water that holds but, I'm just looking for more acceleration out of the turns and prior to the jumps to clear a table top on a 3 hill jump. LHS dude also said that if your track kicks up a lot of dirt/clay, a ball diff will get more dirt/clay in it more than a gear diff. Don't know how much water that holds either. If anyone can elighten me on this topic, that would be much appreciated.

The whole reason why I started looking for a ball diff is becase a racer at the track said that he had a ball diff in and he was just hooking into the turns and accelerating and stickin jumps like crazy and he was completly stock aside from the ball diff.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duke_SC View Post

Can't find it available anywhere. Seems that AE decided to announce it without actually mass producing the friggin product. Towerhobbies as an order pending but who knows when they're going to get it in.

On another note, dude at the lhs said that the gear diff can handle a lot more power than the ball diff. Don't know how much water that holds but, I'm just looking for more acceleration out of the turns and prior to the jumps to clear a table top on a 3 hill jump. LHS dude also said that if your track kicks up a lot of dirt/clay, a ball diff will get more dirt/clay in it more than a gear diff. Don't know how much water that holds either. If anyone can elighten me on this topic, that would be much appreciated.

The whole reason why I started looking for a ball diff is becase a racer at the track said that he had a ball diff in and he was just hooking into the turns and accelerating and stickin jumps like crazy and he was completly stock aside from the ball diff.
I built my sc10 with a ball diff and i just recently put the gear diff back in it it is so much better with the gear diff.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Duke_SC View Post

Slap the guy at your LHS for misinforming you and buy a ball diff. Try one for yourself. They outperform and outlast the gear diff hands down. And if you are racing you need one.

Also, tell that guy at the LHS after you pimp slap him that the Ball diff is installed in the same place as the Gear diff, WHICH IS SEALED IN A DIFF CASE... So, no dirt/clay/dog poo whatever has EVER gotten into my ball diff.
As for the gear diff handling more power, I am not 100% sure about that, but I had 2 fail during races running an 8.5. No problems with a ball diff though. Get that guy a book, and have him read it.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SC10 Rookie View Post
Slap the guy at your LHS for misinforming you and buy a ball diff. Try one for yourself. They outperform and outlast the gear diff hands down. And if you are racing you need one.

Also, tell that guy at the LHS after you pimp slap him that the Ball diff is installed in the same place as the Gear diff, WHICH IS SEALED IN A DIFF CASE... So, no dirt/clay/dog poo whatever has EVER gotten into my ball diff.
As for the gear diff handling more power, I am not 100% sure about that, but I had 2 fail during races running an 8.5. No problems with a ball diff though. Get that guy a book, and have him read it.
Or just copy and paste that ^^^ and send it to the guy at the hobby shop, it's right on.

And if you can't get the direct drop in ball diff you can get the T4 ball diff, get a T4 diff case $7.00 and two $7.00 bearings for the out drives and everything else drops in.

I ran both the gear and ball diffs on a MM5700 & 40C 2S lipo and had no issue with either failing, but with the bigger motor I did notice the ball diff was better for hard traction. My first set-up with the ball diff I used the wrong grease and had a hard time getting it to not slip. I re-greased with the AE ball diff grease and it works great (yea don't use the black grease on the diff rings ).
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Been running the gear diff in my mod SC10 since I got it. Only change was to use AE 40wt shock oil in it instead of black grease. No one's been able to touch my SC10 in mod CORR on a smaller indoor dirt/clay track. So I'd say a ball diff is an unnecessary expense and requires a lot more maintenance. Now I got a 4x4 CORR to play with, and give the 2wd mod CORR guys a break.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Been running the gear diff in my mod SC10 since I got it. Only change was to use AE 40wt shock oil in it instead of black grease. No one's been able to touch my SC10 in mod CORR on a smaller indoor dirt/clay track. So I'd say a ball diff is an unnecessary expense and requires a lot more maintenance. Now I got a 4x4 CORR to play with, and give the 2wd mod CORR guys a break.
I also run 40 ae shock oil and a little bit of 1000wt diff oil.
So much better that a ball diff. Ive tried both i prefer a gear diff.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SC10 Rookie View Post

I take it this is your first ball diff? A ball diff will NOT last longer or take more abuse than a gear diff. Thats just a fact. And yes dirt can and will get inside the tranny case. That fine dust/dirt has a larger impact on a ball diff.
A properly built and maintained ball diff can be smoother than a gear diff but its harder to do, harder to maintain, and will cost tons more replacing diff rings and balls.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dockman2 View Post
I take it this is your first ball diff? A ball diff will NOT last longer or take more abuse than a gear diff. Thats just a fact. And yes dirt can and will get inside the tranny case. That fine dust/dirt has a larger impact on a ball diff.
A properly built and maintained ball diff can be smoother than a gear diff but its harder to do, harder to maintain, and will cost tons more replacing diff rings and balls.
Exactly.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

brb, stocking up on gear diffs to sell to SC10 Rookie
Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Bought into all of the ball diff hype with my Speed T that I converted to and SC truck. It sucked, always coming loose, hard to keep the truck moving straight most of the time.

Bought the Losi Desert Truck gear diff parts to replace it, much much better, smooth as butter. Also used the AE 40wt shock oil instead too.

ben
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool. Thanks for all the info. Going to stick with Gear diff and 40wt fluid in it. Seems easier to maintain from what the majority says. I can sacrifice a little less performance for much less maintanence. Now if I was getting paid to race than ya but, I'm just racing for hobbie dollars and bragging rights for buddah's sake!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dockman2 View Post
Actually yes it is my first Ball Diff. And? I had veteran racers tell me exactly how to prep the diff rings to make the diff smoother and the balls last longer than they should before installation. Let's see my experiences with gear diffs. Bought the kit with the old tranny shims. It died within 2 full days of racing. Went to ball diff for a few months while I was waiting on AE to get their shims together. Bought a brand new diff rebuild kit, installed it perfectly. It lasted 1 eight minute heat before it started clicking (maybe I got a bad one?, but I KNOW I installed it correctly as that was not my first tranny rebuild). It went out on the first heat, so I took it apart to make sure the tranny screws were evenly flush. Put it back in and it still was clicking. SO, after that I put my ball diff in for the rest of the night. No more problems since then. You tell me why veteran racers choose ball diffs over gear diffs. So when the balls in my diff start to go, I'll go pay 2 dollars or 8 dollars for the ceramic balls and rebuild it. Currently I've had these balls in for about 2 months of racing and my tranny is still smooth. It's in how you prep the diff rings. If you are going to race, I would strongly suggest running a ball diff. Even if your ball diff starts to grind and show wear in the middle of race day (or even before), it's not going to stop working like a gear diff eventually will. Trust me, I lost two races because of it. I guess it comes down to preference, and I prefer to win/finish races.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service