Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Getting back into it again >

Getting back into it again

Getting back into it again

Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting back into it again

Looking to get back into 2wd electric. I still have my old bk2. Need some ideas on going brushless and lipo. Both seem like they will be cheaper in the long run. I do not need pro gear since I am not going to be going and hitting up any of the big races. I am just looking to do a little club races a couple times a month. So for brushless. How about the castle stuff? Everyone seems to love it from what I can tell. What system would equal a 13.5 with them? Ok onto Lipo. What to use? Am I better to get 1 5000 pack? or two 3200's? Chargers for lipo? I would almost prefer ac/dc. Anything decent for around 100 dollars?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Idk how good the castle stuff is but if your looking into it. Superiorhobbies.com has them right now in stock but hurry cause they wont last long. Also for chargers im going with a hyperion 0606i which they have on sale for 110 right now and is normally 130. And to top it off the thunder power batteries are on sale right now also.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Should I have included something about a SCT to get a few more responses? Any input on what would be decent on a budget?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Try hobby king .com for cheap lipos i have several batts from them and they seem to bo OK.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ThunderbirdJunkie is, so far, happy with the performance of his Sidewinder 4600. You have the option of running 3S with that combo, whereas you're stuck on 2S with the 5700.

Also, have a pair of Zippy 2S 4000mah hardcase lipos from hobbycity.com, along with a Dynamite Passport AC/DC charger (the $65 model).

This is how ThunderbirdJunkie got started in LiPo and Brushless after an 8 or so year hiatus from being hardcore about electric. He also ran his old GP3300 6 cell SXS packs while waiting for his Zippy LiPos to arrive on the slowboat from Hong Kong, and the whole package had decent performance, but the LiPo just made it more "Zippy"

the two packs cost about 75 shipped from HK, and the charger was $65, and Tower had the Sidewinder 4600 combo on sale for $120.

You should be happy with it.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
ThunderbirdJunkie is, so far, happy with the performance of his Sidewinder 4600. You have the option of running 3S with that combo, whereas you're stuck on 2S with the 5700.

Also, have a pair of Zippy 2S 4000mah hardcase lipos from hobbycity.com, along with a Dynamite Passport AC/DC charger (the $65 model).

This is how ThunderbirdJunkie got started in LiPo and Brushless after an 8 or so year hiatus from being hardcore about electric. He also ran his old GP3300 6 cell SXS packs while waiting for his Zippy LiPos to arrive on the slowboat from Hong Kong, and the whole package had decent performance, but the LiPo just made it more "Zippy"

the two packs cost about 75 shipped from HK, and the charger was $65, and Tower had the Sidewinder 4600 combo on sale for $120.

You should be happy with it.
Are the HK lipo's roar approved? I am not exaclty sure I will have to have roar approved ones but if they were it would be all the better.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

All roar approved lipos will be hardcased with a roar approved sticker going around it. If you want roar approved at a decent price, I would go with (2) 3800 Orion batteries (very good quality). Also if some does go wrong with them Orion will treat you good. As far as the castle system goes, the price is very hard to beat. It is not sensored though unless you buy the mamba max pro. But then the price thing went out the window. You need to decide on your budget and what kind of racing/bashing you will be doing first. Buying stuff twice is never cheaper. I have over 20 years in this hobby and help out at my local track and store. If you need anymore help you can send me a PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mwiley View Post
All roar approved lipos will be hardcased with a roar approved sticker going around it. If you want roar approved at a decent price, I would go with (2) 3800 Orion batteries (very good quality). Also if some does go wrong with them Orion will treat you good. As far as the castle system goes, the price is very hard to beat. It is not sensored though unless you buy the mamba max pro. But then the price thing went out the window. You need to decide on your budget and what kind of racing/bashing you will be doing first. Buying stuff twice is never cheaper. I have over 20 years in this hobby and help out at my local track and store. If you need anymore help you can send me a PM.
I have been in and around the hobby for around 20 years myself I just took a break for a while. The brushless/lipo was just getting started and roar approved when I got out a couple years back. I figured since the lipo and brushless seem to be cheaper in the long run when i get my stuff I would just update with it. Do you have a suggestion on a good budget charger? Considering I already have the car/radio. I would like to get back into it for under 400 dollars.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I dunno i would get a nice sensored speedo. The servo is gonna be massively important. Also if you wanna cut cost's get one cheap hong kong lipo for practice and one roar approved lipo. SMC makes great affordable dependable lipos that are roar approved.

I would stray away from sensorless cheap bL systems for racing. Their are differences and i have seen them firsthand when marshalling.

Everybody runs sensored at my track and most tracks i visit. You can get a lrp sphere comp cheap. The tekin stuff is good too. Novak motors are awesome.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I would stray away from sensorless cheap bL systems for racing. Their are differences and i have seen them firsthand when marshalling.
Could you enlighten us?
You have ThunderbirdJunkie's interest piqued with the cheap used spheres.