Search

Losi/associated Slipper Gear Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Losi/associated Slipper Gear Questions

Hey Guys,

I have some questions on the Losi/Associated Slipper Gears. I also need to get some feedback as well. PRS (Precision Racing Systems) has just designed a Losi slipper gear and a well known driver will be testing them at the Cactus Classis. I have been told that the Losi gear will work on an Associated and vice versa. These gears will have a 3/16" x 5/16" non-flanged bearing in the center so the gear does not ride on the slipper shaft. Beings these gears are machined we can offer every size from say 76-96 in 48 pitch. Give me a little feedback.This is what I need to know.

Do you guys glue your slipper pads to the gear?

If the Losi gear did not have the "key" to hold the gear and you had to glue it, do you think this will be a problem?

Bearing supported gear yes/no?

Please post your opinions, comments, and or questions.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Losi keys the pad to the spur gear and I think AE does too, though they use different methods for the key. This allows easy changes of spur gear and/or slipper pad. Further, the pad is thus reversable so you can use both sides. (Also, you can clean the pad with an hobby knife for re-use.) I wouldn't consider a spur gear that required me to glue the slipper pad on. Also, I'd hesitate before using a spur that didn't use the stock pad. I wouldn't want to have to carry two types of slipper pads.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Re: Losi/associated Slipper Gear Questions

Originally posted by Tornado_Racing

If the Losi gear did not have the "key" to hold the gear and you had to glue it, do you think this will be a problem?

Bearing supported gear yes/no?

Please post your opinions, comments, and or questions.
did you mean [losi gear did not have the "key" to hold the slipper]?

that would make it mantadory to glue the slipper to the gear which i use to do all the time. the main concern when doing this is to get the pad glued perfectly square on the gear so you would get a smooth consistant slip (not warped). i would say no as that way you still have an option.

i assume these gear would be made for the electric (48 pitch). these were common problems with the spur gear when i had my xxxnt, "key" wearing out and slipper would slip on the gear and center hole of the spur gear rounding out to a bigger diameter and causing gear mesh inconsistancies. so bearing support, yes.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Brian Kinwald won Mod Truck at the Cactus Classic running one of the new prototype bearing support slipper gears. I will see if he can post so of his thoughts on the gears.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

I like the idea of having the gear supported by bearings. I know people that didn't like the std Losi pad material and were looking for an alternative. The Schumacher pads are basically the same, but the inner diameter was like th einnder diameter of the losi pad locating notch (not sure if that makes sense - bit i know what i mean!!) so this meant glueing the pad. Didn't seem to be a problem.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

why would you want a bearing in the middle of the gear?
Old 03-27-2004, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Ok, i just got done reading this thread.
First off , I wont even put a spur on my 2wd without glueing the pads on.
Why- it makes working on your car way easier and some times the slipper
doesnt have enough pressure to completely flatten out the pads making them wear uneven.Plus if the spur is not totally flat "molded" you have to put the pads back on the exact same way you took them off to get even wear.I just weighed the bearing it is 0.4 grams a 4-40x3/8 flathead
screw is 0.5 grams so it weighes nothing.Being so close to the center
of the top shaft you wont see a flywheel effect,How often do you see a
factory driver strip a spur? When you run your slipper loose the gear gets really hot,there is no telling what is going on in there."HOT PLASTIC RUBBING ON YOUR TOPSHAFT" HMMMMMM? I wonder if thats why people
who run there slippers loose stirp gears..I dont know sounds good..
Anyway the bearing makes the gear run way truer.Also,"they don't wear"
If you look in the dictionary under "PRShiznit" there is a picture of the gear.

P.S. this is a quote by Brian Kinwald from Tech Talk.. He took the words right out of my mouth... http://techtalk.teamtrinity.com/tt/s...&threadid=7524

Last edited by Chad Phillips; 03-27-2004 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:52 AM
Suspended

I didn't think you wrote that Chaddy boy!

Also, Kinwalds comments on gluing your slipper pads is correct. If you don't glue your pads you should. It's a $3.00 part on a $1,000 race car/truck! Glue it to your spur gear, go win some races and get on with it!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Legend

Hummm...

glue the slipper pads for the losi only ?

or

sould we be glueing the Ae pads the same way, for the same reasons .