Search

New Tr/Buggy set and confused ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default New Tr/Buggy set and confused ramblings

x

Last edited by TheCore; 10-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Around me, the tracks let you run whatever you want. They don't enforce ROAR rules unless its a ROAR sanctioned event. This means 4s, 6s, hardcase, softcase...doesn't matter. ROAR currently has an Open class that allows different cell counts and pack types as many are against the hardcase 4s rules or can't afford the high priced roar sanctioned packs.
Tekin setup will be nice. I wish I could afford those. I plan on picking up a RC8Te soon als (sold me Losi Tekno 8ight-T).
For batteries most will day the Turnigy and Zippy brands to be as good as the higher brands. Mine work great althoguh the last cell in each of my 4s turnigy packs don't balance as well as the other cells. You likely won't find the need to upgrade packs unless you need roar sanctioned stuff.
I got my wife a truggy also. I wish she had the same emthusiam in the hobby as your wife.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'm thinking of putting the tekin rx8 in both and a T8 1900kv in the buggy and a T8 2000kv in the truggy. any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to consider swapping those. You want a lower Kv rated motor for the truggy, because it's heavier. Too high a Kv rating can lead to heat issues. I've had success running the Castle 2200 system in my Truggy, so it should still work. I did however, switch to an RX8 1700 system for that truck. I'm running on 5S with it, and it has all the speed I need, with plenty of capacity.

Motor choice should be based on where you plan to race. I'd ask the locals what they run, and why.

also i'm having a little trouble tracking down batteries, and i hate to make a mistake and pick up batteries that either don't fit or i wouldn't be able to use at the track. are most tracks roar sanctioned, which means 4s right ? from what i can dig up there's very few 4s roar approved batteries that fit these buggers and the $240.00 just really isn't in my budget especially since everything is 2x the cost.
For batteries, there's simply no need to spend that much $$. Look here:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack

While it is out of stock at the moment, this demonstrates what a lipo battery SHOULD cost. I have several of these. A bunch of the guys I race with have them too. The failure rate is no different than the Uber-expensive packs sold state side. Measure your battery tray, and keep that in mind. When you look at each pack, they will list dimensions, weight, etc...

I would suggest 4S or 5S, 4000-5000 mah, and 20C-30C. There are many many packs in that size range. If I were you, unless you race at a specific ROAR track, then don't bother with hard cased packs. All they do is hide issues and give you a false sense of security.

The site also has several chargers. I have this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...alance/Charger

This charger will charge ANYTHING. Pick up a pair so you can keep both your wife's packs charged. Got any Q's?... post'em up.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think you should just get a 2nd of the charger you have 1st of all, I havent heard anything bad about them. I actually was thinking about getting myself 1 to check out since they are cheap. I do agree with the turnigy packs they are the best bang for the buck and really are becoming standard for 8th scale. If you do have to get hardcases you dont have to pay $240 there are a few new ones released by Racers edge, Promatch, and TP has a sport race 25C 4s hardcase that all of these are in the $160-$180 range.