R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT
Default Race Breed 1/10 2wd Nitro Truck...which one?

I would like to know whats a good setup for truck for racing in a big big track....with 1/8 buggy jumps.

If possible can you tell me the brand of the truck with engine, pipe, clutch setup, and aftermarket parts (if needed).

thanks guys
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

MUGEN MST-1 all the way
Old 03-29-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
Tech Addict

nah go were u get parts support and the 2 dominating trucks team losi xxxt adam drake or associated rc10 gt factory team
losi site is www.teamlosi.com and the associated site is www.teamassociated.com
craziracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite

how about engine, clutch setup, and pipe?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by craziracer
nah go were u get parts support and the 2 dominating trucks team losi xxxt adam drake or associated rc10 gt factory team
losi site is www.teamlosi.com and the associated site is www.teamassociated.com
no problem with parts support ...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
Tech Addict

im really liking the orion .12 wasp its really fast and smooth also never heard a complaint about the fantom
craziracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:04 AM   #7
Tech Addict

I run the orion wasp in a gt and it's great. Race it every two weeks and it just keeps going hard.
Ybakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

My vote is for the xxxnt drake edition. everyone here runs losi's, and for motor i suggest the os12tr, and for clutch just sprung.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I'm leaning towards the drake.......I don't know about the engine and pipe though.......I hear people are using X12s and Novarossi engines with specific pipes......anybody using this combo? how is it?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

If you want to finish races and not break buy the GT. The losi is faster at times but it is on the fragile side. To finish first you first must finish. The mst-1 is the most fragile truck on the market (axles even the new ones are a problem)

As for engines the mugen mt-12 with a os rotary carb is a pretty hot setup. I like the pipe that comes with the adam drake truck.

I own both an adam drake and a ftgt and I prefer the GT it requires much much less maintence. The losi diff sucks bigtime and requires frequent rebuilds. The Gt you basically build it and forget it.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #11
Tech Elite

thanks Jesse
Old 04-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

I've owned a FTGT, an MST1, and a Drake, and I'm running the Drake now. The Mugen handled well, but required a few custom mods to get it to that point (dremeled GT diff rings, drilled pistons, I swapped the axles out for CVD's, and I changed the brake linkage). My main problem with the Mugen was that the axles do really suck, and there's pretty much no parts support near me for it (had to order everything from Nitrohouse).

I really like the XXXNT. For my driving style, it's the truck to have. It doesn't need to be driven as hard as the GT (the Losi favors a smoother driving style, while the GT favors an aggressive driving style). As long as you build the diff right (and don't use the white lube that comes with the truck..use AE grease) and adjust it right, it will last forever. The Losi definitely isn't as durable as the GT, but that's also to be expected, since the Losi is an all graphite truck while the GT only has graphite towers. The NT isn't as easy to work on as the GT, by far.

The FTGT was the first gas truck I owned, and for tracks with big jumps where the truck will be abused nonstop, the GT is probably the truck to get. AE is known for their trannies, and the GT is no exception. The GT requires a little more patience with setup (takes a bit longer to get a good setup, at least on tighter tracks), and the shocks seemed to need more frequent rebuilds for me. However, it's reliable, handles well (once you get the hot setup down), very durable, and easy to find parts for and work on. Solid choice, and probably what I would recommend for a track with large 1/8 style jumps.

As far as clutches go, for the Mugen and the Losi, I'd just leave the stock clutches in there (that's what I ran/run). For the GT, I'd recommend the MIP 4-n-1 clutch. For pipes, the Drake pipe is awesome, and the FTGT pipe is great, too. For hopups, tell us which truck you decide on, then I'll reply about that.

For engines, there are lots of choices. The OS CVR and TR are solid choices, but most people go for NovaRossi's or Piccos. If you just want a smooth, reliable engine, the CVR would be great (and if you can find it, they make a short shaft version for the GT...there's a short shaft TR, too). I run an MT12 with OS 10ER rotary carb in my NT (took it from my MST1), and I love it. For a bigger track, I'd probably recommend something like that, or a Picco Wasp. I've never driven a Picco, but I have heard that they are smooth on the bottom end, but scream on the top end. NovaRossi's scream, too, but they're not quite as smooth on the bottom end.

For most of this, however, it's all personal preference. See if you can drive some people's trucks, and if possible try trucks with different engines, too. A big part of picking the truck and engine is your driving style, so try some out and see which you like best.

Feel free to IM me if you have any more questions.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:18 PM   #13
Tech Elite

thanks Dave.