Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting 1/8 scale nitro buggy HELP WANTED

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Converting 1/8 scale nitro buggy HELP WANTED

this is the chassis i am going to convert is it do able or should i get a hyper 7 chassis to convert
What ESC to use and motor
to gain about 60 mph
using 2/3/4 cell lipo or more if possible

thunder tiger mirage
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I would go with the hyper 7 chassis, just make sure you can find a compatible conversion kit. You might want to talk to others that have the hyper 9e. That would be probably the best route. For motor and esc I recommend any of the castle creation combo's. To get up to 60mph you probably would need at least 4s or higher. Good luck with the build and keep us posted!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Hyper 7 and conversion kit from www.rcproductdesigns.com will be very nice.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

I started experimenting with my 1/8 electric conversion with an old Duratrax Axis chassis. I made it very fast, but it handled like crap. I have to recomend starting with the best chassis you can afford as the handling is the hard part. Making power with a 4S brushless system is easy.

I got a great deal on a Z-Car at Hobby People. Bought it brand new and built it as an electric from day one. WOW, this thing handles great and even with the extra pound on board, it takes the turns and jumps just perfect. My first choice was going to be an Associated RC8, but the price for new was a bit out of my budget, and the used ones I found were just plain beat. I have a Hobby People near me, and they stock the Z-car parts, so I am good to go.

For the conversion, take a look at RC Monster. They have the replacement center diff mout for most cars, and it is a very good starting point for any conversion. I turned mine around backwards, and spaced it up and to the left with a plate for better packaging, but their plate didn't need any mods to work. I did end up milling the motor mount holes to allow me to use a smaller pinion for better gearing with my high KV motor setup, but that was just me. If I was doing this again, I would use a 2000 to 3000 KV motor and it would be fine. My 3300 is pushing it a bit. The toughest part will likely be the battery box. I bent up one out of 0.032 sheet aluminum. It hold two Roar 1/10 2S packs standing on edge. This is lower than stacking the two flat on each other. I am using one of my old Mamba Max ESC's. I would buy a Mamba Max Pro if I was doing it now. Can't beat the price and the performance is amazing.

Have fun
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

love to see nitro guys converting to electric
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Get a current good name car that your LHS carrys parts for. I done my first conversion on a Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 which is generation or two past the mirage. I had to make my mounts and all. It was fun making it all work, but the buggy can't handle a tumble at all-stuff starts breaking. I would go with 4S or up. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcCrafty
this is the chassis i am going to convert is it do able or should i get a hyper 7 chassis to convert
What ESC to use and motor
to gain about 60 mph
using 2/3/4 cell lipo or more if possible

thunder tiger mirage

like mentioned what brofroe said, for sure would get a car you can get parts for a your "Local Track" or area this will help ALLOT.
converting a Hyper7 ?
may want to take a look at the Hyper9e most of the manufactures have done some good work to the Nitros to be able to convert them to electric the 7 can find conversions? but the 9e will be better suited for it
for ESC's for sure would go with the Castle Mamba Monster V3
motor wise? well just about most will be able to hit a 60mph mark geared that high? but after about 45 there a good hand full !!!
but sounds like a fun project !! keep us all posted