Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
LiPo Battery Connectors? >

LiPo Battery Connectors?

LiPo Battery Connectors?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ZiG-87
who knows, maybe the tamiya connectors are even WORSE than they gave them credit for, but because they only measured the temperature of the external case, their results didn't show the true extent of how awful they are.

I'm not going to say I think deans are good or bad, because I truly don't know, all I meant was that I definitely feel that their testing method was flawed and therefore do not entirely trust their results. monkey logic my ass.
It's not rocket science dude. Just think for a damn minute and just ignore that compaison test.

Dean claims their connector has less resistance than a piece of 12g wire....that's right 12...not 11 or 10. That means their connector has a limit of around 70A. Try to draw more current than that and the connector increases in temp which means power is being lost/wasted through the connector as heat...at which point it then becomes a bottleneck.

Originally Posted by Briguy
PaPeRo ,
Why don`t you grow up and get over yourself ? Each time you post your gibberish B.S., non-sense , name calling sh!t , you look more and more like an idiot .
LMAO...nonsense? Just because you can't refute the inferiority of Deans connectors with FACT it makes me look like an idiot? Riiiiggggghhhhhtttt....

Dodgy Electrics Amps Not Sufficient

Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Let this guy hate Deans all he wants. Anyone that hates something this much clearly has a reason. Maybe Deans picked on him in school or stuffed him in a locker.

Novak did that to me and CaseyDDR got beat up by a Revo. We all have our reasons.

Deans and I are friends. I have pushed 93amps constant through one with 22.2V on a MMM 2200kv according to a Watts Up meter and never had him come out even warm. I will stick with him.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x60Driver
Yeah i was at the winter champs at CRCRC and i met Tebo and Cavi and i didnt see thows on there. Umm and you say we need them to play with the big boys. Yeah deans are ONE of the best out there.
Dude, you get that this is a joke right? I mean if you actually look at the link you can see that half of a connector weighs 1lb. Obviously not an RC connector.

By the way what connectors did you see at CRCRC? I'm betting lots of DEANS.

Know why? They're the best! Again end of story! They're the best!

Bullets suck badly. Yeah they may be fine for current handling but the good ones are very difficult to plug in and unplug. If you get ones that are easy to unplug they will do exactly that while being used. They just aren't a convenient option.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Dude, you get that this is a joke right? I mean if you actually look at the link you can see that half of a connector weighs 1lb. Obviously not an RC connector.

By the way what connectors did you see at CRCRC? I'm betting lots of DEANS.

Know why? They're the best! Again end of story! They're the best!

Bullets suck badly. Yeah they may be fine for current handling but the good ones are very difficult to plug in and unplug. If you get ones that are easy to unplug they will do exactly that while being used. They just aren't a convenient option.
Yeah Bullets dont suck because that is what they where using!! And it really depends on the Bullets, My SP motors are bullests and I havent had a problem.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
LMB
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
It's not rocket science dude. Just think for a damn minute and just ignore that compaison test.

Dean claims their connector has less resistance than a piece of 12g wire....that's right 12...not 11 or 10. That means their connector has a limit of around 70A. Try to draw more current than that and the connector increases in temp which means power is being lost/wasted through the connector as heat...at which point it then becomes a bottleneck.

LMAO...nonsense? Just because you can't refute the inferiority of Deans connectors with FACT it makes me look like an idiot? Riiiiggggghhhhhtttt....

Dodgy Electrics Amps Not Sufficient

It is not rocket science but it does prove your ignorance, dubro claim less resistance than a piece of 12ga wire, what has that got to do with current capacity. If that is your fact than you need to go back and do year 11 electrics 101 again, current flow and cross sectional area just for a hint. Have you tested the current capacity of the copper bus bar, I doubt it, it may just have more than your might 10ga wire.

Dubro may not be the best but they are a good connector, personally I use bullets but for a newb the deans are better.

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/connectors_2.html

http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/busbars/...sbars/sec3.htm
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

EC5 Will do the job and he! just $ 1,29 a pair!
(Also known as Losi connectors)
Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Let this guy hate Deans all he wants. Anyone that hates something this much clearly has a reason. Maybe Deans picked on him in school or stuffed him in a locker.

Novak did that to me and CaseyDDR got beat up by a Revo. We all have our reasons.

Deans and I are friends. I have pushed 93amps constant through one with 22.2V on a MMM 2200kv according to a Watts Up meter and never had him come out even warm. I will stick with him.
Yep. HPI Savage Flux HP, two SMC 2S 9000mAh 28C battery packs with Deans, my colleague Eagle Tree eLogger V3 150A measured 120 amps peaks and ~100 amps constant - no problems with connectors...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

You guys pulling 90 and 100A constant, how long are your runtimes?

A 9000 pack would literally be yanked down in 5:24.

I've seen some hard 3D heli pilots pull down a 5,000 to 20% in 4 minutes. That's 60A AVERAGE. A true continuous 60A. Dean's plugs come off a bit warm after that. They're not hot, or what I'd even consider near failure. But they're getting close to their practical limits.

I really don't think any of us car guys can pull down much more than 20A constant... That's 15 minutes of runtime while using 5,000mAh. The typical 1/8 buggy runtime seems to be pretty close to that.

-Eric
Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Good point . To run a constant 70A 100A , or whatever rate . Means you running full throttle the entire time with a big load on the system . Typical racing you might hit that once for a second down the straight . Constant rating is what is states , a rating . Not what you are actually doing in the cars/trucks . I can see it happening in planes , helis , boats , and some on-road applications .
Old 01-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Because wire diameter makes more of a difference than some microscopic difference in chemical copper wire makeup. Take for example two 50 feet length of copper wire. One that is 10g and the other 12g. Lets say the 12 gauge uses a tiny bit "better" copper than the 10 gauge that's still not enough to make up the deficeit in the amount of current it can carry. The 10g will still be able to carry more current. The general rule is for every 3 gauges difference in wire equals doubling or halving of current carrying capacity...that is HUGE. In other words a 13g wire can only hand HALF the current of a 10g wire.
Copper purity makes a much bigger difference in current handling than minuscule differences in size. Did you happen to forget how electricity works?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HJJFFFAA
Copper purity makes a much bigger difference in current handling than minuscule differences in size. Did you happen to forget how electricity works?
Wrong, cross sectional area AKA gauge is much more important. What kind of copper would you need to cut amperage in half? 1% copper and 99% lead?
Keep deluding yourself, maybe you should buy one of these cheap battery packs to test the wire's copper purity. While you're at it maybe you could splice a couple inches of MONSTER CABLES onto them...

If you can find me a piece of 12AWG wire that uses this mythical copper that drops ampacity by 50%, I'll show you Elvis is still alive...ROTFLMFAO!!!

Last edited by PaPeRo; 01-30-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Wrong, cross sectional area AKA gauge is much more important. What kind of copper would you need to cut amperage in half? 1% copper and 99% lead?
Keep deluding yourself, maybe you should buy one of these cheap battery packs to test the wire's copper purity. While you're at it maybe you could splice a couple inches of MONSTER CABLES onto them...

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardude04
You guys pulling 90 and 100A constant, how long are your runtimes?

A 9000 pack would literally be yanked down in 5:24.

I've seen some hard 3D heli pilots pull down a 5,000 to 20% in 4 minutes. That's 60A AVERAGE. A true continuous 60A. Dean's plugs come off a bit warm after that. They're not hot, or what I'd even consider near failure. But they're getting close to their practical limits.

I really don't think any of us car guys can pull down much more than 20A constant... That's 15 minutes of runtime while using 5,000mAh. The typical 1/8 buggy runtime seems to be pretty close to that.

-Eric

That is a good point and thinking about it, you are right.
It is very possible I was pulling 93amps burst and read the meter wrong. I know it was 93 amps. I wasn't racing but bashing outdoors. Either way, I have never felt one even warm in any vehicle I've owned under any circumstances.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LMB
It is not rocket science but it does prove your ignorance, dubro claim less resistance than a piece of 12ga wire, what has that got to do with current capacity.
Ever heard of something called resistance? The more resistance the more heat with a given amount of current. This heat is wasted power aka power loss which means less efficient.

If that is your fact than you need to go back and do year 11 electrics 101 again, current flow and cross sectional area just for a hint.
LMAO...you're actually PROVING my point.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6922571-post54.html

Have you tested the current capacity of the copper bus bar, I doubt it, it may just have more than your might 10ga wire.
So you're saying Deans connectors have MORE ampacity than 10AWG wire? Where's the proof?

Dubro may not be the best but they are a good connector, personally I [use bullets but for a newb the deans are better.

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/connectors_2.html
Deans are popular because they're easy to connect/disconnect...good for lazy people. Heck even a 5yr old kid could pull apart a Deans connection by tugging on the wires. With 4mm bullets it's very hard to pull apart which is good...but not so good for lazy people...lol.

As to those URL links to the connectors what the hell does that prove? They don't even menion 4mm or larger bullets. The bullets with 70A capacity are 3.5mm not 4. The 4mm bullets are rated 93A, 5.5mm 150A, 6.5mm 200A. Not really sure where they got that 100A+ on the Deans...lol...probably just pulled that out of their @ss.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
LMB
Tech Initiate

Ever heard of something called resistance? The more resistance the more heat with a given amount of current. This heat is wasted power aka power loss which means less efficient.
I know of resistance, but less resistance than 12gauge, how do you know the resistance is less than 10gauge, have you tested a Deans with a mico ohm meter. Just for you I will say it again, what has the statement "less resistance than similar 12 gauge wire" have to do with current carying capacity.

Young fulla, Deans claim less resistance than a similar length of 12gauge wire, nothing about cross sectional area. You are assuming that deans is similar in cross sectional area to 12 gauge, your argument is flawed to say the least.

I did not say Deans have better current carrying capacity as I do not have any data, I simply stated that possibly the copper bus could have, unless tested we do not know. Where is your test data, oh thats right you have none, just wild assumptions.

You do realise that 8 gauge is < than 12 gauge, in fact 2 gauge is < than 12 gauge... so with your assumptions Deans could be good for much more than what you give them credit for.

Last edited by LMB; 01-30-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.