Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
LiPo Battery Connectors? >

LiPo Battery Connectors?

LiPo Battery Connectors?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

+1 on deans
I like not being able to reverse the poles - even after 10 years of RCing I managed to fry a lipo this summer by accidentally reversing power poles in my 1/8 scale where the batts run in series.

The deans do get sticky as they age and can become very difficult to separate. I'd rather deal with that than fried electronics though...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Note in the picture I put up on the other page. The wires cannot be put in backwards - as red is male, black is female. The LiPO from the OP is also setup that way so you can't do it backwards unless you force them in backwards and that would be kinda dumb.

I'm going to a hetero 5.5mm connection (make red male, black female on the ESC side) to replace my 4mm. I would go with Deans too but want to give the 5.5mm a try for a little while.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Usually the only people who don't like Deans plugs are the people that can't solder them. I know I've never had a Deans connector fail on me. I guess if you can't solder very well and your joints are weak or you overheat the plug and distort the poles so they don't fit properly then I can understand why you wouldn't like Deans plugs. Any experienced hobbyist will tell you that in the world of plugs Deans are supreme.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Usually the only people who don't like Deans plugs are the people that can't solder them. I know I've never had a Deans connector fail on me. I guess if you can't solder very well and your joints are weak or you overheat the plug and distort the poles so they don't fit properly then I can understand why you wouldn't like Deans plugs. Any experienced hobbyist will tell you that in the world of plugs Deans are supreme.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Any experienced hobbyist will tell you that in the world of plugs Deans are supreme.

Why would any smart person waste time even trying to solder an INFERIOR connector? Bullets are superior with cleaner solder joints and don't have tiny crappy plastic connectors that are made for girly fingers...lol.

If you're happy with your Deans plugs then continue to use them, just don't pretend they can keep up with the newer superior connectors.

I guess sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks...lol.

Oh and a turd with a pretty solder joint is still a turd.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 01-27-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

... Any experienced hobbyist will tell you that in the world of plugs Deans are supreme.
I have converted all of my stuff to Traxxas plugs based on the recommendations of two guys at the local track who have been in the hobby for 20+ and 15+ years. They both switched from Deans connectors. I guess if they had more experience they would not have changed.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

It's the guys with 30+ years of experience that still stick to Deans because they're really OLD DOGS that can't change their old habits.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

Deans are just as good as any other "superior" connectors .
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

I know Deans are good connectors, as are Traxxas, as are bullets, as are ...

Pick the connectors that you are comfortable with and are easy for you to use. My personal problem with Deans is that they are too small for my fingers. I find the Traxxas plugs much easier to connect and disconnect because they are easier for me to grip. This makes them better for 'me'. The majority of people at our track use Deans and I also know several that use bullets. Find what you like to work with and put those on your stuff.

Use anything but Tamiyas and you should be fine.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JMYBFFT
I know Deans are good connectors, as are Traxxas, as are bullets, as are ...

Pick the connectors that you are comfortable with and are easy for you to use. My personal problem with Deans is that they are too small for my fingers. I find the Traxxas plugs much easier to connect and disconnect because they are easier for me to grip. This makes them better for 'me'. The majority of people at our track use Deans and I also know several that use bullets. Find what you like to work with and put those on your stuff.

Use anything but Tamiyas and you should be fine.
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!

only reason those batteries come with bananas/bullets on them is that they are cheap. remember where these batteries come from. sure you can use them, if ya got them on everything else. doesnt make sense to change everything you have over to them if they come on one battery.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hm, that article said the traxxas connectors didnt get quite as hot as the deans. There was like a 3 degree difference. They also didn't factor in the fact that the traxxas plug is considerably larger and better insulated. It also sinks the heat to the environment better because of its larger surface area.

For this reason I feel that the experiment's results should not be taken as, you know, ...true.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by grizzkiller
only reason those batteries come with bananas/bullets on them is that they are cheap. remember where these batteries come from. sure you can use them, if ya got them on everything else. doesnt make sense to change everything you have over to them if they come on one battery.
Those batteries come with 10AWG wires and 4mm bullets for lower resistance not lower cost. It would actually be cheaper to not have ANY connectors preinstalled on the battery and to use thinner wires.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
Those batteries come with 10AWG wires and 4mm bullets for lower resistance not lower cost. It would actually be cheaper to not have ANY connectors preinstalled on the battery and to use thinner wires.
FYI , they come with 12 AWG wires .
Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Briguy
FYI , they come with 12 AWG wires .
Yeah I noticed that in the picture. That's probably because it's a 30C rated pack. On the higher rated packs they use 10AWG wires. They actually could've used 3.5mm bullets on those packs but instead they chose to use the higher current carrying capcity of the 4mm bullets. On some of the really high discharge rated batteries they have 5.5mm bullets.

At the end of the day it's not to save costs, it there to match or exceed the discharge capability of the battery.

My cheap $20 Turnigys come with 10AWG wires. Even the 20C Turnigys use them.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10098

Last edited by PaPeRo; 01-28-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ZiG-87
Hm, that article said the traxxas connectors didnt get quite as hot as the deans. There was like a 3 degree difference. They also didn't factor in the fact that the traxxas plug is considerably larger and better insulated. It also sinks the heat to the environment better because of its larger surface area.

For this reason I feel that the experiment's results should not be taken as, you know, ...true.
Going by that type of monkey logic the Tamiya connectors would've been cool too since it also uses a *cough* large plastic heatsinked connector....lmao.

Sorry man plastic is not a good heatsink especially when the air is static and the temperature from the current draw is continuous, but you are free to delude yourself in thinking Deans are equal or better...lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.