Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
My 5lb 1/8-buggy (DBX8e) >

My 5lb 1/8-buggy (DBX8e)

My 5lb 1/8-buggy (DBX8e)

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I wonder how the car handles there has be a point where the car can be too light, but the question is where at?

all and all its pretty cool looking build.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

In hoping to have time this weekend to track test it. On a smooth track lighter shouldn't be a problem. But your right Nick, if a track or surface is rough, you reach a point where there's not enough weight to let the suspension work and the vehicle will just get popped up constantly. I think 5lbs is fine though as SCs are similar weight and run in the same tracks as buggies. The suspension just needs to be tuned appropriately. I'll report back after some track testing. I just like the that I can run small, lightweight brushless setups without giving up any speed.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think this would be an awesome app for the V2 Sp motor to get 1 of the higher kv winds and throw 3s at it and just see what happens LOL. With this light load it would handle it all day and running 3s I think it would be fun. My 9.5 should be here tomorrow. I will get it in there as soon as my RX8 gets here too and give it a go and tell you whats up. I they both arrive tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

great job man!!

just for kicks i looked up how much weight you would have to add for this to be completely legal in 1/8 scale roar racing and it was almost 2 lbs!!! and by then you'd probably need to look into a real 1/8 scale brushless system as a 1/10 scale would most likely overheat and then you may as well have gotten an 1/8 scale buggy in the first place lol. BUT for screwing around and maybe cheating in club races, I can't think of a better way to go good stuff
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
JSR
Tech Master

malik - I'd like to try a MMPro with a SP SAv2 motor, but unless I can find a SAv2 for really cheap, I can't justify replacing my Medusa. The Medusa just runs so nice, torquey, and cool. And with the EZRun 60A, it's so smooth. I don't notice any cogging while on the track, even while going slow. Let me know how your SAv2 is when you get it all set up.

lunchbox - yeah, min ROAR weight is 7lbs, although I've never heard of a 1/8 e-buggy weighing any less than 7.5lbs (and that was with a lot of upgraded lightweight parts). At the local track, they usually let you run if the other drivers are ok with it. They'll probably look at it and think it will break so they won't worry about it...many people are heavy doubters of these types of setups, even though they've never tried it. I don't ever plan to run a ROAR event with my DBX8e. I don't have the time these days. Yeah, if I weighted it up to 7lbs, that would probably be the limit at which the 1/10 setup would operate well. I think it would be fine on a normal weather day (70-80F), but considering it breaks 100F where I am, I don't think the ESC would handle it. I think the motor might be ok still, but wouldn't run cool like a larger 1/8 motor would.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Well, I FINALLY got to take my DBX8e to the track, albeit only for an hour. The result...it ran great! Well balanced and handled great. It does seem slower with the heavier chassis vs. the stock one, but still quick. I wasn't any slower than the nitros, but I wasn't any faster either down the straight. I was the only electric out there today. Power isn't explosive like many 1/8 e-buggies with the large motors...it comes on very smooth, so I can punch it full throttle coming out of a turn to hit the straight. It jumps better than I expected with good balance in the air and pretty easy mid-air correction. I really like my DBX8e...1/8-scale performance with 1/10 scale weight and electronics reliability. And I noticed a couple of people were surprised at how easily I could pick it up holding just a bit of the nose...they expected it to be heavier. All my electronics popped off the chassis though...I need stronger double-sided tape.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bump, pics?

I was wondering if there were any pics of your conversion? I don't see any here on RCTech. I have been thinking of doing much the same with my DBX. I have had way more fun with my electric (and reliable) 8ight 1.0 then I ever did with my DBX. I thought it would be a good time to convert the DBX and have it for a second car.

Cheers,
Spiro

Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Well, I FINALLY got to take my DBX8e to the track, albeit only for an hour. The result...it ran great! Well balanced and handled great. It does seem slower with the heavier chassis vs. the stock one, but still quick. I wasn't any slower than the nitros, but I wasn't any faster either down the straight. I was the only electric out there today. Power isn't explosive like many 1/8 e-buggies with the large motors...it comes on very smooth, so I can punch it full throttle coming out of a turn to hit the straight. It jumps better than I expected with good balance in the air and pretty easy mid-air correction. I really like my DBX8e...1/8-scale performance with 1/10 scale weight and electronics reliability. And I noticed a couple of people were surprised at how easily I could pick it up holding just a bit of the nose...they expected it to be heavier. All my electronics popped off the chassis though...I need stronger double-sided tape.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spironi View Post
I was wondering if there were any pics of your conversion? I don't see any here on RCTech. I have been thinking of doing much the same with my DBX. I have had way more fun with my electric (and reliable) 8ight 1.0 then I ever did with my DBX. I thought it would be a good time to convert the DBX and have it for a second car.

Cheers,
Spiro
did you look at the original post of this thread or are you looking for something else?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:24 PM
JSR
Tech Master

As Lunchbox mentioned, pics of my conversion are in the first post. The only thing I've changed is moving the RX box from atop the servo to in front of the ESC.
Even stock, it was a blast to drive in electric form. It's reliable and low-cost to maintain. But I must say, it handles a lot better with the extended 1/8-size chassis.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

yeah, min ROAR weight is 7lbs, although I've never heard of a 1/8 e-buggy weighing any less than 7.5lbs (and that was with a lot of upgraded lightweight parts).
just thought id throw this out there. I built josh's MP9 and it weighs just under 7pounds rtr (6.9something) and my 808 is 7.09 pounds rtr..... these are both running 5s and 6s setups with 1512 motors and neither are short on power and are laidout to finish a 10 minute race with only a couple minutes to spare on larger outdoor tracks.

altough i do like the idea of running a 1/10th based light weight car, except id rather have slighty more powerful motor a 1800kv Neu 1509 motor with a 5s 2500 lipo would be light and plenty to push it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

As Lunchbox mentioned, pics of my conversion are in the first post. The only thing I've changed is moving the RX box from atop the servo to in front of the ESC.
Even stock, it was a blast to drive in electric form. It's reliable and low-cost to maintain. But I must say, it handles a lot better with the extended 1/8-size chassis.
Strange. I see the pictures now... I had read this thread (and others referring to it) several times before but the pictures never displayed! The text body of your original post in this thread kept mentioning the pictures, but I could never see them.

Anyways, they are there now, perhaps some problem on my end. Looks great! Thanks very much for sharing this. You mention you are happier with the handling using the extended chassis, and that you drove this on electric power before with the 'stock' chassis? Can you provide some more details as to how the handling has changed, and what sort of tracks you are running on? I have my old nitro DBX up on the bench right now and am deciding if I want to start drilling up the stock chassis, or go long as you did. Great idea, by the way, I had never even considered it. I already have the 1/8th wheel adapters on it, as well as some wheels/tires and some suspension mods for longer travel. Pics here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ml#post7043377

Great work,
Spiro
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Rootar - wow those are very light 8scale buggies. I've thought about a bigger motor...maybe a 1509 2250kv or 36x60mm 2000kv Medusa on a small 4s but the power of the 3300kv is just so smooth right now that I don't see the need.

Spiro - thanks for the comments. I ran it with the stock chassis at Pegasus and Revelations. On the extended chassis I've only run it at Rev. The main difference is stability. With the stock chassis and 299mm wheelbase it sometimes felt unstable, especially through the roughs. The longer wheelbase, now about 326-327mm, is more stable when putting down the power and through the roughs. I can push harder. Is basically an ultralight 1/8 buggy so it now has the handling characteristics of one. Let me know if you have any more questions on what's needed. Ice considered making an extended chassis from 7075T6, but don't think there's enough interest. Its easier to convert a 1/10 SCT to a 1/8 buggy as the chassis is long enough, though the end wheelbase would be a bit shorter than my DBX8e.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I weighed it this morning.

5lbs 2oz in ready to run form!

Sweet!
Nice build JSR!! I am loving the weight!! I think that is where e-1/8 is headed.1/8 size with 1/10 weight.Think how long 1/8 tires would last on a car that weighs half of what they were designed to handle, LOL!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default Where to get parts?

I was considering just ordering the required DBX-VE parts to do an electric conversion, but it looks like very few places sell them! I was wondering where you ordered parts from. Specifically I am looking for the TR113B Servo Saver / Steering Set, which I can't find anywhere. Full list of parts I am after here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7073485-post402.html

Also JSR, what type of pinion did you end up using? Do you have any pictures of the drilling and dremel work you did on your D8 chassis?

Thanks much!

Spiro
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

My 8ight will be around that 7 lb weight when its finished. I'm going to use a novak 6.5 on a 6s 2.5k life w/ mm pro. It will make around 900-1000watts. The battery, esc, & motor will shave about 300-400 grams off of these heavey setups. That is equal to around 3/4-1lb of weight. I am going to use the truggy gearing to get the ratio where it needs to be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service