Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Balancing problem with MaxAmps 3s lipo. Only 5th cycle >

Balancing problem with MaxAmps 3s lipo. Only 5th cycle

Balancing problem with MaxAmps 3s lipo. Only 5th cycle

Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
everyone has a right to go with what they want for packs. If you don't want maxamps for whatever reason, you don't have to buy there stuff. And this is coming from someone who doesnt' run there packs right now, but has in the past and didn't have issues with them.

Do I know guys who had reported issues online about the packs, sure, same as I know guys who have reported issues with a variety of manufacturers packs.

Ultimately, you got to take that info, and make a decision that works for you. For me, the Zippys and turnigy prices sound great, but I am not comfortable buying battery packs with little to no customer support. Works for others, not for me.
Exactly my point, you may pay $100 for the name but atleast youll have great customer service if something does happen to go wrong. Plus you get warranty on all the packs you get from maxamps. Ultimately I wanna know that if something happens to my packs that I am not alone in the dark with them and have to end up chucking them out wasting money, that the company will offer you ways to either fix them or replace them.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

In my perspective the most important thing I would really want to know is , is a lipo of the same capacity perform as well as a maxamps ? If that was the case i would buy those batteries all the time. Has anyone compared these ? I would love to know so I can purchase some! So if anyone has a good honest comparison on a expensive brand vs a cheap brand when it comes to performance I would love to know. If someone hasnt made a thread on this i think we should start!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have been running Maxamps packs for three years and I must say that there stuff has been good. I had a saddle pack on my B44 for around 6 months and it failed to balance. I called them and they replaced it free. My 2c stick pack did the same and they replaced it free as well. I ran a 4 cell on my 1/8 scale and it was awesome, no problems...only two issues in three years and they took care of me.
I do have a couple Zippy packs and they do well. I see very little to no difference in my Zippy and Maxamps packs so far.

Originally Posted by RaV3N View Post
In my perspective the most important thing I would really want to know is , is a lipo of the same capacity perform as well as a maxamps ? If that was the case i would buy those batteries all the time. Has anyone compared these ? I would love to know so I can purchase some! So if anyone has a good honest comparison on a expensive brand vs a cheap brand when it comes to performance I would love to know. If someone hasnt made a thread on this i think we should start!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Sawyers View Post
I have been running Maxamps packs for three years and I must say that there stuff has been good. I had a saddle pack on my B44 for around 6 months and it failed to balance. I called them and they replaced it free. My 2c stick pack did the same and they replaced it free as well. I ran a 4 cell on my 1/8 scale and it was awesome, no problems...only two issues in three years and they took care of me.
I do have a couple Zippy packs and they do well. I see very little to no difference in my Zippy and Maxamps packs so far.
Except price !
Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

True, Zippy was $35

Originally Posted by ALLERACER View Post
Except price !
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Sawyers View Post
True, Zippy was $35
And that is my point. There is virtually no customer service from HK and if there is you pay shipping back there and shipping of the new pack to you from there so its cheaper to buy a new pack at that point.

Many would see that as a negative and it kind of is. .... However, you can literally buy 6-8 packs for the same exact price as 1 MaxAmps. Say 1/2 of everything you buy from HK is bad. (which is nowhere near true) You are still getting at minimum 3 packs to 1 and as someone else said, they see none to very little difference between those and the Maxamps.

So my question to the poster a few above that said buying a pack with no customer service concerns you, would you buy these packs if they were based in the states?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

When I buy lipos from HC, I buy them knowing there is no support practically. If you've ever read their "warranty" you realize there's basically not one at all. Anything you do to one of their lipos voids the "warranty". Some interpretations of their 'warranty' even includes that charging a new lipo voids the warranty (this was HCs interpretation posted in a review).

If you do get a DOA lipo, thats literally the only case they cover. If you do anything to it to try and save it, the coverage is gone. They are notorious about telling you to send a 'defective' lipo back and then not covering it. Even with the DOA case, you're money ahead just forgetting about it and just buying another.

I buy from HC and I can deal with most lipo probs. My latest was a pr of 3S Turnigy lipos - one had a cell at 0.28v that required remedying on my part. Now it works as well as the other. I bought a spec charger that charges individual cells to deal with these kinds of issues cause I expected my luck to be less than perfect with their lipos.