Wiki Posts
Search

What were some vintage schumacher buggies

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default What were some vintage schumacher buggies

My first real race buggy was a schumacher in early 1992. What buggies did they produce at that time? can someone please help. Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I had a Schumacher Cat from that same time period. It was my second "race" RC after my RC10. The Cat was a 4wd buggie that was belt driven and had a very unique brake-away front suspension, which made front suspension breakage almost impossible. Also it had a front one-way diff which if I remember right was also a new and unique feature Schumacher introduced. The problem with this car (for me anyway) was the belt system. It had this beveled belt gear setup with no sides to stop the belt from walking off. I spent more time adjusting the belt and bevel gear then driving. Finally resorted to CA'ing some plastic to the sides of the bevel gear to keep it from walking.

Fun car, wish the current 4wd's incorporated the brake-away front suspension idea. Would help me with current issues with my B44.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default early Schumacher cars

The following are in sequence Cat SWB (1986), Cat XL (1987), Cat XLS (1988)
ProCat (1989), Bosscat (1992), CAT 2000 (1993). If you had a 4wd Schumacher buggy it would be one of those. For 2wd Topcat (1988), Cougar and variants (1990-95).
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I ran a season with the Schumacher Top Cat 2wd car around 1989. This car was really off the wall with a belt drive tranny and laydown front shocks that were under the body. They were actuated by pushrods similar to a current Traxxas setup, but the rods weren't completely connected which meant the front wheels had compression dampening but no rebound dampening. Not exactly the best on a rough track. It wasn't horrible on a smooth surface but the tranny wasn't the most efficient so it took a ton of motor and back then batteries were an issue.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks for all the info