Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Rear Sway Bar on a SC10 >

Rear Sway Bar on a SC10

Rear Sway Bar on a SC10

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Rear Sway Bar on a SC10

Here is my question. I race my SC10 on track that is very hard pack that gets dusty. I have changed the shock location, shock Oils and piston. My next change is as adding a rear sway bar. My truck is very loose in the corners, It keeps rolling over on the left rear tire. Has anyone used a rear sway bar on a SC10. WHat about adding some AntiSquat to the rear??
Old 01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I'm no pro but a rear sway bar does not sound like the way to go? one in the front mabey but not in the rear.. when are you losing traction. coming in the corner? exiting,on power off power lets see if we can help you get this thing under control?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 19_mustang_96 View Post
Here is my question. I race my SC10 on track that is very hard pack that gets dusty. I have changed the shock location, shock Oils and piston. My next change is as adding a rear sway bar. My truck is very loose in the corners, It keeps rolling over on the left rear tire. Has anyone used a rear sway bar on a SC10. WHat about adding some AntiSquat to the rear??
Have you added weight to the rear of the truck behind the battery? most of the setups use 1.5 oz. I run 2 oz. I run a sway bar on very high grip tracks and it works well. On lower grip you'll want to stay away from one though. It sounds like something one the left side is mis ajusted. Check your camber, or shock oil to see if they match the right side.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you added rear toe? what springs did u use? battery location? and have you added any weight? whats your camber?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default sway bar

I use a sway bar on a high grip carpet track. if your car is loose a sway bar on the rear is the last thing you would want to do. it would just increase traction in the front
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I added six 1/4-oz weights in the rear, behind the battery. Also, how is your truck rolling?

If it snaps and rolls instantly, your suspension might be too stiff in the rear. If it leans then rolls, your suspension might not be stiff enough...

Do one thing at a time though, try the weights, then, try tweaking the shocks, once you see no more improvements, try the sway bar...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Come on guys, the sway bar takes away grip from the side its added only applies when that sides suspension is actually working well.

If the trucks rear has EXCESSIVE roll, then the sway bar my add grip to both ends.

I don't know what surface your running on. But i've found that the Silver bar works very well. The black sway bar deos very little and the gold bar is way, WAY too much.

Don't add weight if your running 5000mah 2s 30c packs. You can add a little for a lesser pack but I wouldn't recommend it. keep in mind that the body and bumpers add 250+ weight to this truck over the T4 it's based on.

Deos the truck traction roll alot?
I'm running real soft without roll problems. I roll more than most SC10's but I can also turn inside them allmost anytime I want to. I'm useing springs softer than stock as well. Roll hooks the truck up and makes it stick, not slide. Let her roll. %2

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-18-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Put your stock pistons, oil, and shock position back to the factory settings, as they are a good average for most tracks. Starting over from the factory settings is your best bet, as what you have already done is not working.

If the truck keeps rolling over on the left rear tire, it sounds as if your differential is allowing the inner most tire to unload, spinning it out.

Hard pack and dusty is the least type of traction surface your going to find on a track. A sway bar will not help you.

You need to change your tires as the factory ones are just about useless.

JConcepts Goosebumps are a good tire for the sc10.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I race my SC10 on track that is very hard pack that gets dusty.
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

I don't know what surface your running on.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am running a sway bar on my SC10 but we also have a dirt track that is usually tacky. When I initially bought my truck it had around 90 grams of added weight and sway bars on the front and rear. I was also running the stock tires. Just before I pulled my hair out (because I couldn't get it to handle anything like my last two SC10s) I pulled all the weight off, pulled both sway bars off, changed all the shocks out and put goosebumps on it.

To make a long story short the tires and proper amount of weight in the correct spot along with proper shock adjustment made the truck feel nothing like before. As stated above, make sure you keep adjusting but only make one change at a time.. Just FYI, I also had the truck rolling over slightly in high speed turns and a silver sway bar on the rear along with a little "tweeking" on the radio solved this. I am not running a sway bar on the front though.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

The track I mostly run with my SC10 2wd is carpet and super grippy. I get real bad roll over, would a rear sway bar help? Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

If the trucks rear has EXCESSIVE roll, then the sway bar my add grip to both ends.
A swaybar never add's traction ontop of the traction that the truck already has.
a swaybar just helps to get the traction where the truck needs it.

lets say that a swaybar in the front takes away 10% of the traction in the front, that swaybar could help to get that 10% that yoy took away at the front and shift it to the back.