Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Just getting back into racing and need help with what extras I need to buy. >

Just getting back into racing and need help with what extras I need to buy.

Just getting back into racing and need help with what extras I need to buy.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is there any advantage of using a 3 channel radio? I see some people are, thats why I ask. Maybe another thing I need to find more about.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

not that I have seen in racing the kind of classes you are looking at other than another slot I can plug stuff into, and even then from what I understand you can just run a y harness for that functionality.

Telemetry is a nice feature on the DX3S. The DX3R does not have this.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

So I should either be looking at the DX2S or the DX3S? You think I would need the third channel for anything? Or what would you guys do in this situation?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Legend

honestly I think you will be fine with either one of the "S" series of radios.

Once you find your skills warrant a more serious race type radio, then probably look around more.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, thanks for your help on that! Also, what other things might I get later down the road where I would need the extra channel?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I've decided I'm going to go with the DS3X for now. Then later down the road if I ever need an extra channel its there and I dont have to upgrade everything again.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Seriously, you don't need to drop an arm and a leg for a $100 or so dollar hex tool set like Hudy. Going to your local Lowes and getting a Kobalt tools set will do the job just fine.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Tech Legend

For tools, I have been using the Integy hex drivers for quite a few years now. The ones with the gold shafts. They work quite well. The only thing and i am not sure if they changed this now is that the handles on really tight screws can slip in your hands as the ones I have are not bump raised. if they changed this, then they are really good to get for the money.

I also have a 2mm Dynamite hexdriver, not the cheapo ones, and that works quite well too.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Now, a lil help with esc and motors.... before somebody montioned the Tekin RS and the mamba max pro. I know the Tekin has the turbo, and the Mamba has more tuning abilities. My gut feeling tells me the mamba would probably be better since it has better tuning abilities but maybe you guys can help...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

tekin has waaaay more tunability than the castle setup i run tekins in all my cars id go tekin with trinity duo2 motors
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Legend

the main thing I would look for with any ESC you go with for racing is that the speed control setup is firmware / software updateable.

The Tekin, Speed Passion, and Castle Creations systems can do this.

To get all the features for the Tekin and Castle, you need the hotwire and castle link units respectively. The hotwire for the Tekin is extra, and I believe castle gives you a coupon to send in and get it.

Speed Passion includes a nice hand held programmer unit, but doesn't have the update on it. They sell an LCD Programmer that will let you update the software (like a hotwire), but also lets you configure all the settings with the LCD Programmer unit as well. This can be a very nice thing when you go to the track, not to use a laptop if you are messing around with the more extensive settings, or, just don't like listening to or watching light changes on the ESC.