Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

here is a quote from the link you posted:

"In terms of car handling, this means that the end where the link is angled down the most (highest RC) has the most grip initially, when turning in, or exiting the corner, and that the end with the lowest RC when the chassis is rolled will have the most grip in the middle of the corner. So if you need a little more steering in the middle of the corners, lengthen the front upper link a little. (Be sure to adjust camber afterwards) If you'd like more aggressive turn-in, and more low-speed steering, either set the rear upper link at less of an angle, or increase the front link's angle a little."

so in laymans terms:

more shims decreases initial turn in while increases mid turn steering
less shims (more angle) increases aggressiveness,low speed steering and turn in.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I found this amazing setup guide from Hudy. It's 1/8th scale oriented for a few things, but it's a great guide to read. I've gone through it twice already and have several things I'm going to test out on Tuesday when I go back to the track.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...a2b2b6691d6023

It's the third one down. Hudy Off-road & Truggy Setup Book
Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The car pushes on corner entry because it has too much ackermann effect. When you first turn into the corner, weight transfers to the outer quickly, and this wheel hardly has any steering angle. As the car slows through the corner, some weight is transfered back to the inside wheel and the car increases steering.

I have found that by drilling a new hole in the steering block next to the existing hole, you will reduce the ackermann effect and really improve the steering feel throughout the corner. All the Durangos that run at my track have tried the mod and everyone has felt it made the car much better. My car currently has fastest lap and fastest run up here on the current layout.

Hopefully I can find time to write down my current setup and post it, but if you try just the steering mod I think you will like it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Tech Master

Got any pics, Jack?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Here you go

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Here you go

Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Are you doing this mod even after moving the inner rack mount all the way back?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

I'm running the inner position in the middle hole. The outer position is a much bigger change than the inner position.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Heres my current setup, its working really well on our current layout but on the previous layout I felt as if the rear shocks could still use a bit more pack.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/...erg 010912.pdf
Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Heres my current setup, its working really well on our current layout but on the previous layout I felt as if the rear shocks could still use a bit more pack.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/...erg 010912.pdf
im going to try your setup almost exactly except the pistons and shock oil and see how it goes later this week along with the ACKerman mod.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have found that by drilling a new hole in the steering block next to the existing hole, you will reduce the ackermann effect and really improve the steering feel throughout the corner.
I'm running the inner position in the middle hole. The outer position is a much bigger change than the inner position.
So does this mod slow down the steering or just make it smoother or something else that makes it better?

With the second quotation above, are you not using the new hole you made because you say you're using the "inner position"? Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The car pushes on corner entry because it has too much ackermann effect. When you first turn into the corner, weight transfers to the outer quickly, and this wheel hardly has any steering angle. As the car slows through the corner, some weight is transfered back to the inside wheel and the car increases steering.

I have found that by drilling a new hole in the steering block next to the existing hole, you will reduce the ackermann effect and really improve the steering feel throughout the corner. All the Durangos that run at my track have tried the mod and everyone has felt it made the car much better. My car currently has fastest lap and fastest run up here on the current layout.

Hopefully I can find time to write down my current setup and post it, but if you try just the steering mod I think you will like it.
You don't get less or more steering with less or more ackerman. You get the MOST amount of steering, when the ackerman angle matches the required radius for each of the two front tires. Running too much ackerman, or not enough ackerman, you create a slip angle for the inside tire. Even with 6mm of bumpsteer spacers there is still a bit of bump-in bumpsteer. If you push the outside front of the car down just a bit (simulating a turn), and turn the car's steering rack all the way to the other side, you will see there is zero (and sometimes negative amounts of) ackerman. With zero ackerman, the inside wheel will be scrubbing instead of gripping. This will create a push. My car doesn't have enough ackerman... it certainly isn't a case of having too much.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 01-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I would agree with that, my car became much more controllable when I added 2mm to 4mm for a total of 6mm to the outside steering link ballstud..my car would "bump steer" when landing from a jump...let us know what you find...

I'm having the same problem, the car becomes uncontrollable when landing. I'll try with some extra washers because its clear it has a lot of bump steer. I have the car reasonable dialed, but the front end needs work.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are any of u guys going to switch to the gear diff when it becomes available fof the dex210?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I would agree with that, my car became much more controllable when I added 2mm to 4mm for a total of 6mm to the outside steering link ballstud..my car would "bump steer" when landing from a jump...let us know what you find...
Originally Posted by Yellow Wheels
I'm having the same problem, the car becomes uncontrollable when landing. I'll try with some extra washers because its clear it has a lot of bump steer. I have the car reasonable dialed, but the front end needs work.
Even with spacers maxing out the ballstud on the steering block, there is still bump-in bumpsteer. My mod from last night let me go down to 2mm on the steering block, and I am literally at 0 bumpsteer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.