R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree46Likes

Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #13336
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrankito View Post
I wasn't knocking the RTR. That is why I was asking. Sometimes the RTR of other brands you end up having to dump money into them before you can drive it properly. Example is the b4. I had one and it was horrible until I upgraded shocks, +8 chassis etc... I wanted to make sure if I was going to have to do anything to it which it sounds like I won't to be able to be competitive out of the box. My desc210 was not an rtr and people were saying to get the kit not the RTR.
Well you can always swap out the ESC, Motor and Radio from the RTR and sell it. I would assume most people would change it anyways if they are running anything but a blinky spec class. But between the RTR and the PRO kit, there isn't much difference. I prefer the +8 plastic chassis on dirt and low bite clay anyways. Shocks are the same. So I don't get the aluminum rear hanger but that's ok. Upgrading to a ball diff would be a nice option though, and it would probably be one of the few upgrades. The type B hangers are much stronger. If you break your existing ones, just replace with type B.
Also shim the shock tower 1mm away from the gearbox. It helps save the rear shock tower from cracking due to the flex. Cause there is almost no clearance between the motor mount and rear shock tower. Upgrading the front shock tower is another good investment until they make type B front towers.
For carpet, I still think the heavier aluminum chassis is better.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #13337
Tech Rookie

Hi!! I have a couple of questions, i just received the DEX210 RTR version, i must say, im really impressed, i didnt know what to expect...

I would like to know a couple of things... First, what is those two things that come in the bag of the wing?? i just do not know where to put them lol

Second, it has a good amount of leak on the rear arms, i think is from the differencial, how can i check if it is from inside or if it is from outside or if it is normal...??

It is super fast for me, im just playing in the streets and is amazing, i cant imagine how fast a 7.5 motor would be!

Thanks!!
mrs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #13338
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1986 View Post
Hi!! I have a couple of questions, i just received the DEX210 RTR version, i must say, im really impressed, i didnt know what to expect...

I would like to know a couple of things... First, what is those two things that come in the bag of the wing?? i just do not know where to put them lol

Second, it has a good amount of leak on the rear arms, i think is from the differencial, how can i check if it is from inside or if it is from outside or if it is normal...??

It is super fast for me, im just playing in the streets and is amazing, i cant imagine how fast a 7.5 motor would be!

Thanks!!
Also in the bag, is it 2 black flaps? If that is what you are talking about, its something that you can attach to the sides of the wings to increase straight line stability. But a few flips or crashes, and those things are gonna come off anyways.

Best way is to spray some simple green and wipe it clean and see where the leak is coming from. But normally you will see the leak from the underside of the transmission if it is the diff. Also check your shock caps and shock bottoms to see if the caps are loose.

Sometimes some RTR kits have leaky diffs. I just swapped out the oil, which was almost empty to thicker silicon grease. Also if you are planning on running the gear diff, is to upgrade or add 2 more spider gears and 1 axle. as the RTR only comes with 2 spider gears, instead of the 4 gears that is normally found in the 4wd cars.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #13339
Tech Addict

so is 35 in the front and 30 in the rear a good starting point for shocks? I put that in my two XXX cars and to be able to do it to all three would be awesome.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #13340
psl
Tech Adept

Default Help!

I could use your help. I just changed the steering knuckles and c hubs on my 210. My tie rods all match up. I have the steering mod on my buggy. Here is my problem. Front wheels are straight when the buggy is at rest. When I compress the front end the back of the front tires both turn in, the fronts turn out. Think of both front tires in a V shape. My sons buggy does not do this. I am having problems downloading a picture at the moment. I cannot figure out what is going on. The reason that I replaced the items is that my son noticed this during a race. Any ideas would be great.
Kyosho SC6
Radiopost
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #13341
psl
Tech Adept

Default pictures

Help with front end.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-dex2101.jpg   Durango DEX210 Thread-dex210.jpg  
Kyosho SC6
Radiopost
Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #13342
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
I could use your help. I just changed the steering knuckles and c hubs on my 210. My tie rods all match up. I have the steering mod on my buggy. Here is my problem. Front wheels are straight when the buggy is at rest. When I compress the front end the back of the front tires both turn in, the fronts turn out. Think of both front tires in a V shape. My sons buggy does not do this. I am having problems downloading a picture at the moment. I cannot figure out what is going on. The reason that I replaced the items is that my son noticed this during a race. Any ideas would be great.
When you say steering mod, what are you referring to? What you are noticing is called bump steering, did you change your front axle location?
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #13343
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_D View Post
Also in the bag, is it 2 black flaps? If that is what you are talking about, its something that you can attach to the sides of the wings to increase straight line stability. But a few flips or crashes, and those things are gonna come off anyways.

Best way is to spray some simple green and wipe it clean and see where the leak is coming from. But normally you will see the leak from the underside of the transmission if it is the diff. Also check your shock caps and shock bottoms to see if the caps are loose.

Sometimes some RTR kits have leaky diffs. I just swapped out the oil, which was almost empty to thicker silicon grease. Also if you are planning on running the gear diff, is to upgrade or add 2 more spider gears and 1 axle. as the RTR only comes with 2 spider gears, instead of the 4 gears that is normally found in the 4wd cars.
Thanks a lot, I have 50k traxxas differential oil, will it work??
lovethebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #13344
Tech Regular

Whtas Wrong with the front end
Quote:
Help with front end.
RCNYWOLFTEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #13345
psl
Tech Adept

I kept the axles the same. By steering mod I meant that I flipped the steering rack. I checked my other trucks. When I compress their front ends the front wheels move in parallel. My buggy does not.
Kyosho SC6
Radiopost
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #13346
Tech Regular

Does The Mod Make Your Kit Better Than Now Or What Because If The Mod Isnt Working Out Maybe You Should Keep The Kit Stock Or Not Another Member Of The Forums May Help
Quote:
I kept the axles the same. By steering mod I meant that I flipped the steering rack. I checked my other trucks. When I compress their front ends the front wheels move in parallel. My buggy does not.
RCNYWOLFTEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #13347
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
You probably need to add a shim or 2 to the outside ballstud on the steering link. That mod works well, but there are a few different ways of doing it, and most require shims depending on where the axles are located (inline vs trailing). If you just flipped the rack, then shims will still be needed, but its hard to say where unless I could see it in person..When I did mine, I shimmed the whole steering assembly up 1mm, and have the rack mounted on top, instead of underneath, and still need 2mm shims on the steering hub.
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #13348
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
What you are experiencing is called Bump Steer, depending on what castor insert you are using, you need to change how many spacers are under the steering knuckle ball studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
4mm of spacers gives you zero bump steer when running 30 deg of castor, factory setup is 3mm spacer. As you move the castor either up or down you'll have to adjust accordingly to maintain zero bump steer.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #13349
Tech Apprentice

Can someone give me a hand about the differential oil if I can use 50k traxxas in the RTR differential??

Thanks.
lovethebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #13350
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebuggy View Post
Can someone give me a hand about the differential oil if I can use 50k traxxas in the RTR differential??

Thanks.
You can use it but 50k is way to thick the buggy will push like a freight train. I run 2k I would start with 5k if I were you.
Walkman is offline   Reply With Quote