Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
anybody else have this happen to their diff outdrive?

This is only after 5 weekends of racing on this car. The other outdrive looks perfectly fine, but this one looks like its gone through several seasons of racing. The wear actually caused the cvd to pop out in the middle of my main today.

Anyway, I think I might go with a gear diff instead of just replacing the outdrives. Who runs and likes the gear diff?
Mine did the same thing after a month or 2. I really like my gear diff, run it with with just a little bit of black grease inside of it and I have not touched it since the beginning of summer and it just gets smoother and smoother. So I really like using it over the ball diff and stays smooth way way longer. Ya if you put the ball diff together with all ceramic balls and treated rings it can be smoother but at a much much higher cost and more maintenance. So with just a small fraction of performance downside (which the majority wont notice) its worth it.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

This is only after 5 weekends of racing on this car. The other outdrive looks perfectly fine, but this one looks like its gone through several seasons of racing. The wear actually caused the cvd to pop out in the middle of my main today.

Anyway, I think I might go with a gear diff instead of just replacing the outdrives. Who runs and likes the gear diff?
I'm running the gear diff with 2000wt. I run on carpet though, I haven't had this car on dirt. The gear diff is feels real stiff and tight when you 1st drop it in to the point it feels wrong. Just RUN the car the diff will smooth out in 5 mins or so and be perfect and smooth. Also do NOT use the gold ball diff shims. The gear diff doesn't require the shims.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ripped a ball stud out of the transmission case tonight. this was my fix Does anyone run this http://www.tresrey-usa.com/tresrey-a...est210desc210/ If so how do you like it and is it worth it. It got me threw the night and I even took 2nd in the main but it pushed like a school bus.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Durango DEX210 Thread-qf-008.jpg   Durango DEX210 Thread-qf-009.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Too much droop would do this on my 410. At full extension the cvd would bind and either wreck the outdrive or break the drive shaft. Always on one side.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Czechexican
I ripped a ball stud out of the transmission case tonight. this was my fix Does anyone run this http://www.tresrey-usa.com/tresrey-a...est210desc210/ If so how do you like it and is it worth it. It got me threw the night and I even took 2nd in the main but it push like a school bus.
Thanks
Lol, wow how many shims would it take to raise roll center that high?
I use the part you are referring to, though I have never had a problem with the stock ball stud mount. Its definitely a permanent fix to your issue..
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Peli
+8 mm Carbon chassis...worthy upgrade,more flex,more traction outdoors,all I run.Plus,its nearly on the 1500 weight limit with this.

Was ripping ballstuds out of the gearbox every heat...crap engineering and plastics,went for the Tresrey CF brace or the Rango was getting binned.

Electrics layout,REC sits vertically behind shorty,super neat,no wiring outside battery tray

Avid springs and Tresrey red spacers everywhere,new Hitec servo

Brass Ballstud mount 8ight racing CF V2 towers

TSR racing wheel nuts and clear shock seal sets with red bleeder screws....
The TSR seals are magic....just run a 4hr enduro on the weekend,probably run for 1 and half hrs,no leakage anywhere.they have already done 4 club days.
Ghea Tapered pistons inside shocks

The AE 12mm big bores spring retainers are the same...few colour and material options then.

Love the DEX210,but its definetly overrated in a few area's,strength being 1 of them.
I ripped probably 6-8 ballstuds out of the gearbox in 2 weekends.
The sidepod plastics are shit.Strip so easily,just from use.
The gearbox removal is a nightmare.
The arms and hub inserts slop out super quick compared to 2 yrs running a B4.1.
Can't handle the torque hit down low from Mod motors as well as a B4.1,it will twist the chassis up,the B4.1 just drives through the torque hit.

Shocks are awesome
Slipper is great
Balldiff is in another world,love it.
Steering is amazing,so much,and so sharp and slop free.
Now I have a setup on it,it flys,and will kick my B4.1s ass easily....
Incredible car in the air,can whip it hard,the torque hit that upsets the chassis on the ground can save some huge angles in the air,and level itself for the down ramp....

Now it is strong enough to deal with my 7.5 and my hack driving,it's unreal!! Faster,easier to drive,but far from stock,and super exxy!!
I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the honesty. Most people think thier stuff is great because it's what they have. My local shop owner has 1 & he's the only 1 running them. I've been racing off & on for 30 yrs & as soon as i saw rear ballstud placement, all thoughts of getting 1 went in the trash. Now i see there's an allturnitive, it will be my next car. Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Czechexican
I ripped a ball stud out of the transmission case tonight. this was my fix Does anyone run this http://www.tresrey-usa.com/tresrey-a...est210desc210/ If so how do you like it and is it worth it. It got me threw the night and I even took 2nd in the main but it pushed like a school bus.
Thanks
Worthy upgrade in my opinion. Have not had an issue since. My car did not push at all after the upgrade.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Update. I upgraded to Lunsford turnbuckles, with rpm long ball cups and AE ball studs from the tc6. Have not popped one ball cup, or had to make a camber adjustment since. Recommended upgrade over stock.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
So you think it's the slipper and not the diff? The diff is really strange feeling but it doesn't explain the not going part...

I was replying to rcjunky but you got in there first. Happy you got your solution
Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Lol, wow how many shims would it take to raise roll center that high?
I use the part you are referring to, though I have never had a problem with the stock ball stud mount. Its definitely a permanent fix to your issue..
Ya know I had hard time understanding how roll center worked. Now I know exactly how it works. Awsome going to order one today. Thanks mx.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok, so next question for you gear diff guys. Do you have the same problem with your outrdives wearing out?

It seems the TD gear diff will be out of stock for a bit. Should I wait for that, or go with the AE gear diff? Is there a difference in quality between the two?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

I have ran a durango geardiff the whole season on outdoor dirt. the outdrives still look brand new.
the AE gear diff need more shimming
Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ok, so next question for you gear diff guys. Do you have the same problem with your outrdives wearing out?

It seems the TD gear diff will be out of stock for a bit. Should I wait for that, or go with the AE gear diff? Is there a difference in quality between the two?
AEGear diff needs a lot of shimming, like 8 shims or so each side. Also the AE main gear is a touch smaller than the Durango one, so I am not sure how people are using it as a direct replacement.. or if they really checked it out before they put it in.

That is why I build a hybrid ball diff using the the Durango main gear and balls and every thing else is AE.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

With the dex210 kit you do have to set the rear limiter so while at full extension you don't have binding, this will put additional stress on the motor and will wear the outdrives much faster. I'm pretty sure this would be the same with the gear diff. Maybe certain setups are more prominent, but using the 1.5 kick and 3 toe, I absolutely have to set the droop.

Originally Posted by jnslprd
Too much droop would do this on my 410. At full extension the cvd would bind and either wreck the outdrive or break the drive shaft. Always on one side.
+1

Originally Posted by brokenmoto
Thanks for the honesty. Most people think thier stuff is great because it's what they have. My local shop owner has 1 & he's the only 1 running them. I've been racing off & on for 30 yrs & as soon as i saw rear ballstud placement, all thoughts of getting 1 went in the trash. Now i see there's an allturnitive, it will be my next car. Thanks again!
I've had the ae and losi buggies in the past (not the 22) and not enough can be said for not crashing into the pipe or wall in terms of breakage with any of them. If you are just starting with the buggy format maybe limit the throttle until you are making perfect laps..then add speed as needed. In months I've only popped one cup off and it's cause I caught a pipe. While it sucked that I lost two laps, the vehicle did not break and thanks to the marshall finished the race only 1 lap back as I was throwing some wicked fast laps down. This last week I broke my first part on what seemed to be a soft hit, but it must have caught the wheel just right on a wall area as it tore my inner hinge pin right out of the front plastic retainer. If you replace anything on these durango's it should be (as with any vehicle mind you) the FF,FR(or bulkhead),RF,RR hinge pin holders.. that plastic is just way too soft on that part iMO.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Worthy upgrade in my opinion. Have not had an issue since. My car did not push at all after the upgrade.
+1
U need to adjust your rear ball stud washer and your push will go away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.