R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree44Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #5566
Tech Elite
 
aloksatoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N California
Posts: 3,099
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonski View Post
You need to put a 2mm spacer under the ball studs like the original instructions.
So no need to put 6mm washers right?
__________________
MP9 TKI3 | ZX6 | RB6 | MBX7r Eco
aloksatoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #5567
Tech Master
 
hopsing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,169
Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
So no need to put 6mm washers right?

correct, 2mm under the outers and 1mm under the inners if you followed Cpt Americas way of mounting the ackerman plate.

I still run mine "normal" with the 6mm under the outside ball stud...no bumpsteer, works perfect.
__________________
Steve Butts
AKA, TrakPower, Serpent America/Desoto Racing, TrackStar, Futaba, EKD Paints
hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #5568
Tech Champion
 
Jmuck69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 5,061
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
correct, 2mm under the outers and 1mm under the inners if you followed Cpt Americas way of mounting the ackerman plate.

I still run mine "normal" with the 6mm under the outside ball stud...no bumpsteer, works perfect.
I am running 4mm and seems to have no bumpsteer, but how are you running 6mm and still have enough thread for the nut in the steering arm?
__________________
B6D | B64D

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #5569
Tech Master
 
hopsing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,169
Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
I am running 4mm and seems to have no bumpsteer, but how are you running 6mm and still have enough thread for the nut in the steering arm?
As long as you are running the 10mm ball studs part number TD330347 which is called for in that location, it will work. It has just enough thread. I put a drop of blue loctite on though since it doesnt quite reach the nylon inside the nut.
__________________
Steve Butts
AKA, TrakPower, Serpent America/Desoto Racing, TrackStar, Futaba, EKD Paints
hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #5570
Tech Champion
 
Jmuck69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 5,061
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
As long as you are running the 10mm ball studs part number TD330347 which is called for in that location, it will work. It has just enough thread. I put a drop of blue loctite on though since it doesnt quite reach the nylon inside the nut.
Got it. I will try it tonight.
__________________
B6D | B64D

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #5571
Tech Master
 
BOLISARIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S. Corona
Posts: 1,762
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO
Default

So the Captain America mod involves placing the ackermann bar under the pivot arms and placing 2mm spacers between the pivot arms and the plastic mount that bolts to the chassis to raise the whole assembly? And of course the usual spacers on the inner and outer ballstuds.

Or just K.I.S.S. and go with the stock instructions and place 6mm spacers on the outer ballstuds?
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #5572
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,996
Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
correct, 2mm under the outers and 1mm under the inners if you followed Cpt Americas way of mounting the ackerman plate.

I still run mine "normal" with the 6mm under the outside ball stud...no bumpsteer, works perfect.
+1 on the normal way. No bumpsteer here with 6mm.
__________________
XRAY XB4 '18, 2X Yokomo YZ-2 DTM , YZ-4 SF, Mugen MBX7R Eco, Hobbywing, Sanwa, LRH Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, iCharger.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #5573
Tech Master
 
hopsing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,169
Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLISARIO View Post
So the Captain America mod involves placing the ackermann bar under the pivot arms and placing 2mm spacers between the pivot arms and the plastic mount that bolts to the chassis to raise the whole assembly? And of course the usual spacers on the inner and outer ballstuds.

Or just K.I.S.S. and go with the stock instructions and place 6mm spacers on the outer ballstuds?
Personally, I like K.I.S.S. Not that the other way isn't effective, but this way works so I don't see a reason to "re-engineer" the geometry.
__________________
Steve Butts
AKA, TrakPower, Serpent America/Desoto Racing, TrackStar, Futaba, EKD Paints
hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #5574
Tech Elite
 
aloksatoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N California
Posts: 3,099
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
+1 on the normal way. No bumpsteer here with 6mm.
I went with the complex mod because the control arm sits flatter. The 6mm might put too much stress on the steering knuckle 3mm hole. Force is appled 6 mm higher from servo as opposed to normal 2 mm... just my 0.02...
__________________
MP9 TKI3 | ZX6 | RB6 | MBX7r Eco
aloksatoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #5575
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

I don't run this car anymore, but maybe I can shed some light on bumpsteer. How many washers you run on the turnblock to keep your bumpsteer at 0 depends on how much caster you are running. When running 25 degrees of caster (which I ended up at), you can run very few bumpsteer washers with a normal (not modded) steering rack. But when running 30 degrees, the caster block is rotated back, which lowers the turnbuckle mount on the turnblock, which means more bumpsteer washers to eliminate bumpsteer. I found that 6mm didn't quite get rid of the bumpsteer, and I wasn't about to go to 7mm. There is so much leverage against the hole at that point, that I didn't want to risk a DNF due to the ball stud ripping out of the turnblock. The only other option, was to lower the steering rack, which is where my mod came into place. Worked perfectly.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #5576
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 112
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default



You can get this one if you can wait a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Looking for a tried and trued method of closing holes in pistons. Some say to use glue, some say epoxy, it will be my first time doing this. Also any leads to a cheap 1.3mm drill bit would be helpful.
goofy4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #5577
Tech Fanatic
 
onekiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden but from New Zealand
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Closing holes I have taken a solder iron and melted over holes, works well, even filling them with bits of plastic from the parts tree then melting it works well
__________________
XB2 CE
XB4 16
Sanwa
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #5578
Tech Master
 
Fast410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plainfield IL.
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone want to buy a highly upgraded dex 210 it has full carbon options from digity designs and some tresery hop ups car comes with suburbs and scrubs mc compound mounted on white rims and comes with 2 painted bodies
__________________
GRUDGE RACING $$ PROMOD KUSTOMZ real race car fabrication and custom painting -airbrushing CHICAGO WISEGUYS RACE CIRCUT-1/4 mile Door Slammers @ 200mph plus
Fast410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #5579
Tech Master
 
BOLISARIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S. Corona
Posts: 1,762
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BOLISARIO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I don't run this car anymore, but maybe I can shed some light on bumpsteer. How many washers you run on the turnblock to keep your bumpsteer at 0 depends on how much caster you are running. When running 25 degrees of caster (which I ended up at), you can run very few bumpsteer washers with a normal (not modded) steering rack. But when running 30 degrees, the caster block is rotated back, which lowers the turnbuckle mount on the turnblock, which means more bumpsteer washers to eliminate bumpsteer. I found that 6mm didn't quite get rid of the bumpsteer, and I wasn't about to go to 7mm. There is so much leverage against the hole at that point, that I didn't want to risk a DNF due to the ball stud ripping out of the turnblock. The only other option, was to lower the steering rack, which is where my mod came into place. Worked perfectly.

If I use this mod, I place the bar under the pivot arms and place 2mm washers under the pivot assembly before mounting it to the plastic mount/bracket that is bolted to the chassis, correct?
BOLISARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #5580
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLISARIO View Post
If I use this mod, I place the bar under the pivot arms and place 2mm washers under the pivot assembly before mounting it to the plastic mount/bracket that is bolted to the chassis, correct?
Correct.

If you just moved the steering bar to the bottom of the pivot arms, the bar would be far too low, and the it would actually hit the front suspension arms... so it has to be shimmed up just enough to clear the front suspension arms.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Ives RC Club B4Bandit Australian Racing 16584 12-06-2017 03:53 AM
EPMTs check in here. (a subsidiary of TNT) overtki11 Singapore R/C Racers 55470 05-08-2017 12:57 AM
Team Durango DEX410 ASH93A Australian Racing 925 04-08-2013 10:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:59 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net