R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree44Likes

Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3811
Tech Adept

Update-

Drove the car, Wheeled the DANGO and had some impressive lap times at Airland Raceway in San Jacinto. Made one change on the car and was pulling consistent 21.8's/22's and had a fast lap of 20.4. VERY VERY pleased with this thing! Honestly one of the best 2WD bug's I have ever driven. Thank you for your help Steve.

Concerned about breaking the diff case and bulkhead. I have almost everything else I need for the car except those items and ball diff rings. Anyone have an ETA from durango as to when HRP/Durango or possibly even GP/AMAIN will have them back in stock?

See all you suckas at Reedy on Sunday!

Thanks
Z
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #3812
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

interested in this car but wondering what is the major complaint as well as the most praised part of the car?
slowguy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #3813
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy2012 View Post
interested in this car but wondering what is the major complaint as well as the most praised part of the car?
The most major complaint has to be parts availability. Second, would be the stock ball cups. They seem to be hit/miss on if you have a batch that's going to be easier to pop off.

Honestly, drive smart, smooth, and don't try to push the car too hard on the jumps and you shouldn't really be breaking anything; doesn't matter what car it is.

If you don't know how to drive a pro-level 2WD buggy, you're going to break stuff.

The kit setup is very forgiving, and is pretty easy to drive out of the box. Don't throw a crazy motor into it until you get used to driving the car on your local track.

I made that mistake. Started with a 17.5, then moved to a 6.5 way too early and realized I wasn't getting any faster even with making change after change. I moved to a 13.5 and pretty close to box setup, and I was immediately 1.5 seconds faster than I was able to run with the 6.5.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #3814
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
Why you selling?
I bought a 22T and have Losi everything else. Common spare are a good thing- Less $ for a good spares supply. I do have the Durango in good shape, setup wise. It is a very confident feeling car around the track and drives easy. For the longest time, I had to drive it on the edge, but now with spring changes being a big part of it, this car is driving sweet!
sparkwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #3815
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Parts support is really the only major complaint, but we have broken very few parts on the car- a bellcrank and a steering rack, the latter has since been upgraded with the Tresrey CF rack plate.

The positives are overwhelming- good base setup, excellent tunability, great build quality, likely the best ball diff in the industry, easy to build and smooth shocks, the list goes on.

Driving wise the car is very easy to drive and seems forgiving at the limit. Tons of rear traction in almost any condition- I've never experienced a car that you actually had to dial out rear traction. The buggy is so good that after driving my brother's I have decided to race buggy myself, and that's a big statement for me.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #3816
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My major complaint is the parts supply right now also. It is very frustrating to drive a car that knowing if you break it at a race it may end your racing that day.
The car itself is an amazing package, even in my hands it is very capable and faster then my B4.1FT was right out of the box. And after a couple of practices and some setup tweaks is faster by a whole 1.5 seconds per lap. I am very pleased with its build quality and its features.
I hope Team Durango releases an 1/10th 2WD Stadium Truck.
UltraLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #3817
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Pros:
Superb build/materials quality
Extremely durable
Fantastic shocks, second to only the Koyosho big bores
Best, smoothest, and lowest maintenance ball diff in the RC industry
Most tunable car on the market
Rear hubs and capture CVDs are amazing
Amazing tech help from durango's website
Extremely planted car (see cons list)

Cons:
Poor parts support
Ackerman/Bump geometry issues
Most difficult car to work on (rear end)
Poor quality ballstuds and ballcups (might be batch related)
Questionable engineering design on rear-inner ballstud mount
Poor manual / instructions
Finicky build
Extremely planted car

You'll notice I listed "extremely planted car" for both pros and cons. That is because the car is SO planted, that it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get the car to feel really really aggressive on the track, like a lot of drivers like. (rear motor/clay) It is 180 degree opposite of the B4, for example, that feels very very aggressive naturally, and can be hard to get it to feel very planted. It depends on the type of car you are looking to drive.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #3818
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Received my McMaster CARR order today and spent 15.00 shipped for 100 diff balls and 50 circlips

Diff Ball: 9292K33
Circlip: 98455A108.

Durango DEX210 Thread-img_0388.jpg

Also Bought a Align Trex 450 Thrust bearing for 5.00. And it comes with 2!!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

I will give you guys a full review on my McMaster / Align Diff in a week or so.
DNX408V2-NovaP5, DETC410-Reventon 1.1ex-5.5t MMM
RC10 , RC10GT2- CV-R- SAVOX,
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #3819
Super Moderator

Im sure the circlips will work fine, but I would avoid both of the ball choices you have listed there. The steel balls are just like what you get in the kit, and will notch up quickly. A simple set of carbides will last significantly longer, and will run smoother.

for the thrust, the align thrust assembly is also steel, and will yield a pretty limited life span. Go with the ceramic schumacher assembly for $8 and it will be considerably smoother and probably last forever.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #3820
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Pros:
Superb build/materials quality
Extremely durable
Fantastic shocks, second to only the Koyosho big bores
Best, smoothest, and lowest maintenance ball diff in the RC industry
Most tunable car on the market
Rear hubs and capture CVDs are amazing
Amazing tech help from durango's website
Extremely planted car (see cons list)

Cons:
Poor parts support
Ackerman/Bump geometry issues
Most difficult car to work on (rear end)
Poor quality ballstuds and ballcups (might be batch related)
Questionable engineering design on rear-inner ballstud mount
Poor manual / instructions
Finicky build
Extremely planted car

You'll notice I listed "extremely planted car" for both pros and cons. That is because the car is SO planted, that it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get the car to feel really really aggressive on the track, like a lot of drivers like. (rear motor/clay) It is 180 degree opposite of the B4, for example, that feels very very aggressive naturally, and can be hard to get it to feel very planted. It depends on the type of car you are looking to drive.

Thanks
slowguy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #3821
Tech Master

Quote:
Im sure the circlips will work fine, but I would avoid both of the ball choices you have listed there. The steel balls are just like what you get in the kit, and will notch up quickly. A simple set of carbides will last significantly longer, and will run smoother.

for the thrust, the align thrust assembly is also steel, and will yield a pretty limited life span. Go with the ceramic schumacher assembly for $8 and it will be considerably smoother and probably last forever.
Yeah, wasn't sure if these were of a better grade of steel than the stock ones. And I'm not too worried about the thrust bearing, as the stock thrust is still smooth today. Like your review said, its one of the best diffs on the market. And I just wanted to let people know that there are other options. For about 7 bucks you can rebuild your diff with new balls 9 times. Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #3822
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:

+1. I looked into the mcmaster balls and the hardness is not on par with the rc industry standard carbides. Also, after much looking around for a bulk source of carbide balls I concluded that the cheapest route is to buy from ine of the companies currently selli g them. Cush's car with a BFast kit in it has been rock solid since a week before the Spektrum race, which was the first weekend in December. If properlt built a ball diff can last quite a while, especially this one with 14 3mm balls.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #3823
Tech Master

Yeah, I agree that the carbide balls are nice, however rings still need to be replaced and for 6 bucks why not throw new balls in. Performance wise I feel with a properly built "stock" diff and a carbide diff, you'll notice it less in a off road application. IMO.. One slip with a carbide diff your rings are toast..

On road is a whole other story for me though. Nothing but ceramics ...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #3824
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMAK View Post
Yeah, I agree that the carbide balls are nice, however rings still need to be replaced and for 6 bucks why not throw new balls in. Performance wise I feel with a properly built "stock" diff and a carbide diff, you'll notice it less in a off road application. IMO.. One slip with a carbide diff your rings are toast..
With this buggy I would disagree. I have used the same side of the same rings since I built my buggy the day it was released... same set of carbide balls... I have taken the diff apart TWICE to clean and re-grease, and the diff feels 100% completely butter. The diff never slips on the track, but it has a couple of times for a fraction of a second while setting tension on the table... zero issues. At this rate, I will be able to use the stock plates and carbide balls for a year.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #3825
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

New aftermarket parts for the 210. They will have axles to run associated wheels and titanium shock mounts. Take a look.

http://www.liverc.com/news/new_produ...EX210_hop_ups/

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote