R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree45Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #3391
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

here is a quote from the link you posted:

"In terms of car handling, this means that the end where the link is angled down the most (highest RC) has the most grip initially, when turning in, or exiting the corner, and that the end with the lowest RC when the chassis is rolled will have the most grip in the middle of the corner. So if you need a little more steering in the middle of the corners, lengthen the front upper link a little. (Be sure to adjust camber afterwards) If you'd like more aggressive turn-in, and more low-speed steering, either set the rear upper link at less of an angle, or increase the front link's angle a little."

so in laymans terms:

more shims decreases initial turn in while increases mid turn steering
less shims (more angle) increases aggressiveness,low speed steering and turn in.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #3392
Tech Master
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I found this amazing setup guide from Hudy. It's 1/8th scale oriented for a few things, but it's a great guide to read. I've gone through it twice already and have several things I'm going to test out on Tuesday when I go back to the track.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...a2b2b6691d6023

It's the third one down. Hudy Off-road & Truggy Setup Book
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors for 2015!
XFactory RC | Proline Racing | Fantom Racing | Avid RC | Speed Passion USA | Factory1 | Hy-Traction Juice | Mike's Hobby Shop
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #3393
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

The car pushes on corner entry because it has too much ackermann effect. When you first turn into the corner, weight transfers to the outer quickly, and this wheel hardly has any steering angle. As the car slows through the corner, some weight is transfered back to the inside wheel and the car increases steering.

I have found that by drilling a new hole in the steering block next to the existing hole, you will reduce the ackermann effect and really improve the steering feel throughout the corner. All the Durangos that run at my track have tried the mod and everyone has felt it made the car much better. My car currently has fastest lap and fastest run up here on the current layout.

Hopefully I can find time to write down my current setup and post it, but if you try just the steering mod I think you will like it.
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #3394
Tech Master
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Got any pics, Jack?
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors for 2015!
XFactory RC | Proline Racing | Fantom Racing | Avid RC | Speed Passion USA | Factory1 | Hy-Traction Juice | Mike's Hobby Shop
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #3395
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Here you go

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #3396
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Here you go

__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #3397
Tech Master
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Are you doing this mod even after moving the inner rack mount all the way back?
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors for 2015!
XFactory RC | Proline Racing | Fantom Racing | Avid RC | Speed Passion USA | Factory1 | Hy-Traction Juice | Mike's Hobby Shop
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #3398
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I'm running the inner position in the middle hole. The outer position is a much bigger change than the inner position.
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #3399
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Heres my current setup, its working really well on our current layout but on the previous layout I felt as if the rear shocks could still use a bit more pack.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/...erg 010912.pdf
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #3400
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
Heres my current setup, its working really well on our current layout but on the previous layout I felt as if the rear shocks could still use a bit more pack.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/...erg 010912.pdf
im going to try your setup almost exactly except the pistons and shock oil and see how it goes later this week along with the ACKerman mod.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #3401
Tech Addict
 
Dog Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 605
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Runner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post

I have found that by drilling a new hole in the steering block next to the existing hole, you will reduce the ackermann effect and really improve the steering feel throughout the corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
I'm running the inner position in the middle hole. The outer position is a much bigger change than the inner position.
So does this mod slow down the steering or just make it smoother or something else that makes it better?

With the second quotation above, are you not using the new hole you made because you say you're using the "inner position"? Or am I misunderstanding?
__________________
JR
Need a real estate agent? I can help.
Dog Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #3402
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
The car pushes on corner entry because it has too much ackermann effect. When you first turn into the corner, weight transfers to the outer quickly, and this wheel hardly has any steering angle. As the car slows through the corner, some weight is transfered back to the inside wheel and the car increases steering.

I have found that by drilling a new hole in the steering block next to the existing hole, you will reduce the ackermann effect and really improve the steering feel throughout the corner. All the Durangos that run at my track have tried the mod and everyone has felt it made the car much better. My car currently has fastest lap and fastest run up here on the current layout.

Hopefully I can find time to write down my current setup and post it, but if you try just the steering mod I think you will like it.
You don't get less or more steering with less or more ackerman. You get the MOST amount of steering, when the ackerman angle matches the required radius for each of the two front tires. Running too much ackerman, or not enough ackerman, you create a slip angle for the inside tire. Even with 6mm of bumpsteer spacers there is still a bit of bump-in bumpsteer. If you push the outside front of the car down just a bit (simulating a turn), and turn the car's steering rack all the way to the other side, you will see there is zero (and sometimes negative amounts of) ackerman. With zero ackerman, the inside wheel will be scrubbing instead of gripping. This will create a push. My car doesn't have enough ackerman... it certainly isn't a case of having too much.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -

Last edited by Cpt.America; 01-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #3403
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hellgium
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I would agree with that, my car became much more controllable when I added 2mm to 4mm for a total of 6mm to the outside steering link ballstud..my car would "bump steer" when landing from a jump...let us know what you find...

I'm having the same problem, the car becomes uncontrollable when landing. I'll try with some extra washers because its clear it has a lot of bump steer. I have the car reasonable dialed, but the front end needs work.
Yellow Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #3404
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 484
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Are any of u guys going to switch to the gear diff when it becomes available fof the dex210?
shark2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #3405
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
I would agree with that, my car became much more controllable when I added 2mm to 4mm for a total of 6mm to the outside steering link ballstud..my car would "bump steer" when landing from a jump...let us know what you find...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Wheels View Post
I'm having the same problem, the car becomes uncontrollable when landing. I'll try with some extra washers because its clear it has a lot of bump steer. I have the car reasonable dialed, but the front end needs work.
Even with spacers maxing out the ballstud on the steering block, there is still bump-in bumpsteer. My mod from last night let me go down to 2mm on the steering block, and I am literally at 0 bumpsteer.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Ives RC Club B4Bandit Australian Racing 16584 12-06-2017 03:53 AM
EPMTs check in here. (a subsidiary of TNT) overtki11 Singapore R/C Racers 55470 05-08-2017 12:57 AM
Team Durango DEX410 ASH93A Australian Racing 925 04-08-2013 10:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
oldsavage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:42 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net