R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree44Likes

Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #2926
Tech Apprentice

Thanks a lot Brandon! After reading your post, I have order a few packs of shorties! Hope I can try your setting very soon.
joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #2927
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Dog Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
OK, for those of you that have been waiting, here is my final setup sheet...
What benefit was there in using the shorty lipo that put it in "a whole other league"?

Generally speaking, what types of steering results did you get from experimenting with droop? More steering with more droop, vice-versa, etc?

Thanks for the sheet.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #2928
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Runner View Post
What benefit was there in using the shorty lipo that put it in "a whole other league"?
Have you ever driven a B4.1? In general, there is a MUST have for your setup amongst the AE team drivers, and that is the weight placement in the rear of the buggy. You add a 1/4oz in each side pod, 1/2 under the shock tower, and 1/2 next to the receiver. Without it, the buggy drives like butt because the rear of the car is too light. The weight there transforms the traction balance of the car, to a balanced state. The same thing happens with the short lipo. in the 210... in using one, you are able to remove weight from the rear of the car, and shift it forward where this buggy needs it. And considering the buggy needs a diet as well, the lost weight overall is beneficial. With a heavy lipo, I found the car rolling a bit too deep, lifting inside wheels, and felt a little like a pig. Lightened up, the car comes alive. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Runner View Post
Generally speaking, what types of steering results did you get from experimenting with droop? More steering with more droop, vice-versa, etc? Thanks for the sheet.
Most of the steering I was able to pull out of the car was done with the shock setup, battery placement, and front camber. Droop is set front and back to compliment it. Too much droop gets the car rocking too much front to back making the car overreact to throttle and braking inputs.... too little, and you don't get enough weight transfer front-back... its the middle ground that makes the car easy to drive. I was able to eliminate about 80% of both the on-power and off-power push.

In general I found the car to have PLENTY of forward/rear-tire traction, in almost all circumstances, so the setup has a lot of room to shift traction to the front tires. That includes plenty of rear droop, and a nice limited amount of front droop.
- RCSpecialties -

Last edited by Cpt.America; 12-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #2929
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmhobbies View Post
..I can only laugh like that because I did the same thing at first!!!...must be our 1/8 scale instincts Stav?!?!?!

its gunna take me MONTHS to forget all those years of NITRO embedded in my OLD BRAIN.....

LOL

Car did drive SWEET

Gunna move the Battery Forward Like Capt. did..... and check my setup with That one... Bremmerton should be alot like the indoor place here and MINE when its complete

Thanks again guys for all the help......

FUN TIMES AHEAD

Stav
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #2930
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Newbie question- what is droop and how do you adjust it? New to the whole buggy thing and I'm getting my kit this week
jurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #2931
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post

In general I found the car to have PLENTY of forward/rear traction, in almost all circumstances, so the setup has a lot of room to shift traction to the forward tires. That includes plenty of rear droop, and a nice limited amount of front droop.

My front droop screws work great but the rears seem to back out during a run. I tried some ca in the arms but it did not work. I'm thinking about trying some very thin washers under the droop screws. Whats your method for limiting rear droop? I still think the rear shocks are too long. You could add 3-4 mm of internal limiters and still be riding on the droop screws.

I have been running some old 3800 packs to keep the weight down compared to my 4600 as I like it lighter too, time me to pony up for some shorties I guess. Did you notice the holes for the forward battery stop right next to the servo? Looks like its for the mid motor setup.

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #2932
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurquhart View Post
Newbie question- what is droop and how do you adjust it? New to the whole buggy thing and I'm getting my kit this week
Droop is the difference in chassis height, at each end of the car, between ride height, and the moment the tires begin to lift off the ground.

Make sure the car is at the exact desired ride height first, and is sitting on a flat surface in ready-to-race trim. Next, settle the car, and hold a ruler up to the nose of the car and measure some arbitrary landmark, somewhere directly down the centerline of the car. In the 210s case, I just used the very top of the front bumper. Next, lift the front of the car up until the tires are JUST touching the ground, and remeasure the same spot. In my case, there is an 8mm difference. So, the front droop is 8mm.

Then repeat for the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdav View Post
My front droop screws work great but the rears seem to back out during a run. I tried some ca in the arms but it did not work. I'm thinking about trying some very thin washers under the droop screws. Whats your method for limiting rear droop? I still think the rear shocks are too long. You could add 3-4 mm of internal limiters and still be riding on the droop screws.
I use normal ol long metric set screws. The heads on the stock ones broke a long time ago, so I just used some set screws I found in my pit box. I put the allen wrench side of the screw facing down, so i can easily compress the arm to expose the screw, to make adjustments. They are very tight in the arms, and don't move at all. I imagine a bit of locktite would help if you are getting movement.

You CAN use limiters, but when playing with droop back and forth 10 times a day, I can't afford to be doing that with limiters. I have zero issues with my droop screws, so they work great. Also, I am running the gold colored shock shafts, which the rears are shorter than the stock ones. But I have the eyelets unscrewed a few turns to compensate. As long as you measure droop instead of wishbone length, it won't matter if the shock is a little long (as long as it isn't too short)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdav View Post
I have been running some old 3800 packs to keep the weight down compared to my 4600 as I like it lighter too, time me to pony up for some shorties I guess. Did you notice the holes for the forward battery stop right next to the servo? Looks like its for the mid motor setup.
I did.... didn't get a chance to move the battery brace up there yet
- RCSpecialties -
Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #2933
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks!
jurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #2934
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I can't open the file. It mentions that it is damaged, when I try to open it. Not sure if anyone is having this problem. Thanks.

Had the same problem go to team durangos site and as if you are going to grab a set up from there and install the pdf reader that they have linked to on their site.
I had the same problem

I did try the shorty pack once early in my playing but didn't like it as the set up wasn't really right for me so seemed to only make it worse. Defo try it again now that I have the car a little more to my liking

Im running MM4 carpet high grip, intresting to try it
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook

Last edited by onekiwi; 12-19-2011 at 11:02 AM.
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #2935
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Thought I would post this pic of my 210 after a hit I took on the final lap of my A-main Friday night....TQ'd 2wd mod by 8 seconds, made 2 small bobbles giving up the lead, chased the leader down and got by him making up an almost 5 second deficit. Entering a sweeper, I was on the outside and he was coming in hot on the inside so I chose to stay wide and leave him some room on the inside and not cut him off.....well as you enter the sweeper it dips so if you come in too hot on the throttle, the car will unload and push out which is what happened and he t-boned me sending me into the outside wall....HARD. As you can see, broke the arm..............but the BALLCUP is still holding......and yes its the stock HD that comes with the 210.

My car on our loose/Med grip clay track is soooooo good right now....... completely stock car, with kit springs still. RM3 and a shorty pack. Super consistent with great all around traction.

I also attached my main sheet showing my fast lap and my avg laps (my top 15 avg was still under 20 secs).....this was my first time on the particular layout and I only had 2 practice packs before racing started....this car is that good.
Attached Thumbnails
Durango DEX210 Thread-wp_001459.jpg   Durango DEX210 Thread-wp_001425.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #2936
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekiwi View Post
I did try the shorty pack once early in my playing but didn't like it as the set up wasn't really right for me so seemed to only make it worse. Defo try it again now that I have the car a little more to my liking

yep.. you won't be able to follow the setup sheets/advice from guys like me who are running on lower traction, clay, rear motor.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #2937
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know but will be interesting to try it out, see what if gives or takes from the set up I have
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #2938
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekiwi View Post
Had the same problem go to team durangos site and as if you are going to grab a set up from there and install the pdf reader that they have linked to on their site.
I had the same problem

Thanks, I just ended up adding the app on my phone. Good to go now!

www.rchr.biz------www.Wolcotthobby.com
Bman's 3XNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #2939
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
Thought I would post this pic of my 210 after a hit I took on the final lap of my A-main Friday night....TQ'd 2wd mod by 8 seconds, made 2 small bobbles giving up the lead, chased the leader down and got by him making up an almost 5 second deficit. Entering a sweeper, I was on the outside and he was coming in hot on the inside so I chose to stay wide and leave him some room on the inside and not cut him off.....well as you enter the sweeper it dips so if you come in too hot on the throttle, the car will unload and push out which is what happened and he t-boned me sending me into the outside wall....HARD. As you can see, broke the arm..............but the BALLCUP is still holding......and yes its the stock HD that comes with the 210.

My car on our loose/Med grip clay track is soooooo good right now....... completely stock car, with kit springs still. RM3 and a shorty pack. Super consistent with great all around traction.

I also attached my main sheet showing my fast lap and my avg laps (my top 15 avg was still under 20 secs).....this was my first time on the particular layout and I only had 2 practice packs before racing started....this car is that good.

My car has taken some hard hits as well during this setup period. It hit the pipe full speed on a sweeper to only pop the off the front spindle. Landed a big double on the left rear tire and didn't pop a ballstud, but pulled it out of the rear hub. So far still good on the ballstud situation...

www.rchr.biz------www.Wolcotthobby.com
Bman's 3XNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #2940
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

More new 210 parts in stock today at Amain.
fullsyzz is offline   Reply With Quote