Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Durango DEX210 Thread > Durango DEX210 Thread
Like Tree66Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Durango will always have a special place in the heart, but I need a relationship where I am not Tina and the company is Ike when it comes to how it treats the customers.
LOL!!!
wyd and Cain like this.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Look what i got in the mail today! The result of many long distance calls to the UK. Yes they speak English over there, but good god was iy hard to understand them on the phone. The further north i got the harder it became. But in the end many were more than happy to try and help the crazy American looking for parts for his toy car...lol
You should have posted here. I got three gear covers and don't use em (indoor carpet), good to see they will help out.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It looks like some people are using longer rear shocks and a taller tower to get more up travel on the B64.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 249 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
It looks like some people are using longer rear shocks and a taller tower to get more up travel on the B64.
you do that on the b6 as well. I have the tall rear tower and longer shock bodies here, I felt that it felt more consistent over bigger jumps.

Other than saving weight, still not clear where the stock shocks have an advantage.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Same here....running the long tower on my b6d. And the kashima shock bodies. Best upgrade ever. I've never felt shocks so smooth. Not even kyosho. The associated cars are unreal. I was sold when I got the b6d, but now that I have the b64d too, I don't think I'll get another brand 10th scale anytime soon. All this said, I still love my Durango. It's still pretty competitive, but the low lap times require a lot more driver skill.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BryanAZ View Post
Does Exotec not make the aluminum gear cover anymore?
They do, but a lot of outdoor racers feel they are hot garbage because there is a giant whole in the cover where rocks can get in. You have to plug it with a glue gun or something. They are expensive too.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
Banx- the deal was i would either buy them from the donor and the deal would end there or if someone sent me the bodies on their dime, i would pay to have the whole lot over nighted to Team Blue Groove, then when they returned everything to me, along with a couple free replicas, i would send the original AND a free new body back to the donor on my dime as well. I was ok with doing this and eating the cost because the alternative is me buying the four other kits i think are short, having them overnighted to me, then pull the bodies and turn right around and overnight the whole package to TBG.

As it stands, that may be what i end up doing anyway.I think the time crunch was just to short to get the word out and get this messy deal put together. You know, back in December I had thought about contacting TBG but at the time i was 1) not aware of the seriousness of the body shortage and 2) unaware of the March 31st deadline.

I do have another option though, I could just arrange for TBG to make the molds next year. That gives me another 9 months or so to come up with the bodies myself.

However this brings up the question of my dedication to the brand. This deal benefits everyone by providing a high quality source of bodies for the long run. As some of you may remember, running Team Durango this year was an experiement, basically just trying something new. I had planned on moving over to Team C next winter to try them out. However (way off subject here) Ive started building some of the kits ive picked up and so far, im not sure i will be moving to them. Lets just say after building all these Durango cars and the new 6th Gen Associated lineup, building the Team C kits felt very 1997.....what may save them is if they perform as good as everyone says they do.

So I guess at this point Ill keep anyone interested updated on the TBG status. Which as of right now, might not be alive until next year.

that's a great way to help the community. If I had one uncut I would help you out for sure.

I didn't mind the 90's, sanding parts before you put them together. buffing hinge pins lol. definitely forced you to slow down if you wanted to build a kit nice and tight.

as for going to another company... I have yet to see a team c car. But the last car I built was an xray xb8. It was a pleasure, I have a feeling I might be picking up their 10th scale 4wd shortly if the rc bug continues
Old 03-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

As far as Exotek and a gear cover, I haven't been able to find any of the aftermarket; STRC or Exotek, gear covers. I've actually got two originals rigged with larger washers holding them on.

Way off topic but regarding the Team c cars, I did finish the TC02C EVO Team Edition car. It's pretty sick but I was referring to the build and design practices used with the cars. Cars like the DEX210, while an older design, use modern practices such as captured hinge pins and things like that. The Team C car, while being a modern, Big bore equipped mid motor car, felt similar to building an Associated B3 series car. I will say though that having taken the extra time to blueprint the entire build, I think the car will be fast.

The Gen 6 AE cars are quite ridiculous. I'm an AE guy at heart, I currently have a running example of almost every single off road car/truck they've ever produced. I raced them in the mid eighties onward and have kept up with them ever since. I truly believe, no insult intended, that they are the gold standard for off-road buggies. The World Championship count speaks for itself. Lap times don't lie either, the only Team Durango vehicle I have run so far that turns faster lap times than the equivalent AE cars would be the DESC410V2. That however has much to do with AE offering only the outdated SC10 and Prolite-with the Durango only beating the PROSC because it is easier to drive more consistently with. Just my personal experiences.

Next week I start on the restoration of my DEX210V1, being done up as a 6.5T Orion powered RM3 car. This will give me a RM3 210, MM4 210V2 and MM3 210V3 to play with. Wherever I end up, one of those cars will work I'm sure. I decided to go a different direction with the "Fast Freddy Suspension Mod" lol. I'm going to pick up one of Exoteks chassis' and apply those mods to it. Basically an aftermarket 210V3.5. Perhaps late this summer I'll grab all four of them, head to the track and record lap times over a five minute span using identical running gear just to compare the numbers. I love doing testing like that. I'm way behind schedule but hopefully I'll have my travel trailer / race rig setup done this year so I can travel all over the US racing at all these tracks I hear about. What better way to experience all these awesome tracks and meet everybody than to actually attend races at them.

I don't remember if it has its own thread or not but all you guys running indoors, high traction clay and astro, you're running the 210f right? Is the F better suited than a modified V2/V3 on clay?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

After reading my last post I thought I should clarify paragraph three.

This comparison was made using out of the box setups and supplied tuning aids. My Durango's are getting really really good. I brought a B5M to the track the other day to run in between practicing with my DEST and DEX210V3. I actually couldn't wait for the session to be over so I could get back to the 210. It just feels better connected to me with the setup currently on the car. However, it has taken a lot of work to get the car to this point. It's been torn down so many times I've actually had to replace wear parts. The B5M required very little to be competitive. I could definitely empathize with someone getting one of these kits and coming to the conclusion that either the 210 doesn't handle very good or that it doesn't work for them. Double this issue if that someone is new or doesn't have the time to spend days at the racetrack. Maybe the Durango cars are just not initially setup for American tracks. Time will tell.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Alan,
I run both the 210v2 and 210F on indoor clay. My son drives better than I can. He's 11. He drives the V2 and I drive the F. I will let you know more as we are going to the track next week. Thinking the 210F can be very competitive.
Edit: we have been running both cars for about 4 months. The rear of the F is a little loose on power but figuring it out.

Last edited by WallyRC; 03-26-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

I thought I'd show off what my 210 currently looks like after everything I've done to it. I still have a couple of little things to tweak on it but sadly with the death of offroad here, I'm actually going to sell it. I going to do it this time! Although I haven't driven it in this configuration, I'm confident that I've solved the geometry issues that have plagued me over the past several years with this car. I can let it go happy, knowing I've reached my goal.

Over the past week I looked around and realized that my life is too cluttered. I need to greatly simplify things before I turn into a hoarder. Should something happen to me, and I hope nothing does, it would be unfair to my family to have to sort through so much random crap and most of it is in random pieces scattered everywhere. I'd really like to see this car go to someone who will actually enjoy it. I've had lots of frustration but also lots of fun with it. The 22 2.0 that I just bought is going back to rear motor just so I can run it in the street stock oval class. I'm trying to sell about 10 of my cars in the next month but this one will hurt the most. My DEX8 is also going away. Anyways, here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Durango DEX210 Thread-buggy-overview-1.jpg   Durango DEX210 Thread-buggy-overview-2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 249 (100%+)

The 210F needs a high traction situation, but when you have it, is wicked fast. If durango didn't go defunct I would have been curious to try doing light weight mods to the vehicle for spec racing like they 17.5 blinky class.

If running in situations where traction is scarce, don't be suprised you start doing mods to plant the rear end (a lot more toe, etc)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

I'm happy with the B6D. But ill still run the Durango DEX 210 in stock latemodel.
The B6D can be my modified latemodel.

My friends on facebook got confused when I mention "Stock" Latemodel
because I forgot there was a Stock Slash Latemodel class also, but that died off
and its just trucks again.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

fred, wanna a post a setup summary? I know you aint got room for sheets
Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I thought I'd show off what my 210 currently looks like after everything I've done to it. I still have a couple of little things to tweak on it but sadly with the death of offroad here, I'm actually going to sell it. I going to do it this time! Although I haven't driven it in this configuration, I'm confident that I've solved the geometry issues that have plagued me over the past several years with this car. I can let it go happy, knowing I've reached my goal.

Over the past week I looked around and realized that my life is too cluttered. I need to greatly simplify things before I turn into a hoarder. Should something happen to me, and I hope nothing does, it would be unfair to my family to have to sort through so much random crap and most of it is in random pieces scattered everywhere. I'd really like to see this car go to someone who will actually enjoy it. I've had lots of frustration but also lots of fun with it. The 22 2.0 that I just bought is going back to rear motor just so I can run it in the street stock oval class. I'm trying to sell about 10 of my cars in the next month but this one will hurt the most. My DEX8 is also going away. Anyways, here it is.
So that's the finished car, the one with the suspension travel mods. You said you haven't had time to test it though? Basically it's a modded on theory? I'm curious and was going to replicate your mods to see how it fairs outdoors. But if you're letting that one go, might be interested. Shoot me a PM with what you have in mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service