R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree46Likes

Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #17671
Tech Adept

This might be another odd question for you guys, but do any of you have those inner shock boots installed on your cars? I have installed them on mine to protect the shock shafts from dirt and grime.
If you wonder which ones I refer to it's the ones shown in the pic below placed inside the spring.

Last edited by Hitokiri_2000; 04-17-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Hitokiri_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #17672
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsantana92 View Post
I might try the 31/78, but I think I'm pushing the limits already. I ordered a programming Card and play around with the settings a bit and see if it improves.

My problem with the Ball Diff originally was that it was sliding too much and I was loosing power. I tried tightening it up a bit, which helped, but it seemed to be looser in one side than the other one and one I hit the power it would steer to one side. I might have tighten it a bit too much and have to loosen it up a bit, but still seems weird to me... First time I've had a Ball Diff though.

Pic of the track:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxa034rd8z..._3237.JPG?dl=0
I had the same issue, running mm4 and alway wanted to shot off to the left. I have changed to a gear diff and it's stopped. Before changing I noticed the output drives are worn on the right-hand side which is the side with the T but on it.

Last edited by Pistol123; 04-17-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Pistol123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #17673
Tech Regular

The problem is if you get titanium outdrives, then you wear into the CVD driveshaft.
I'm pretty sure you could buy titanium outdrives back in the day but they were pricey.
Castle Creations( Since April 2016)
bmag5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:15 AM   #17674
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmag5000 View Post
The problem is if you get titanium outdrives, then you wear into the CVD driveshaft.
I'm pretty sure you could buy titanium outdrives back in the day but they were pricey.
Personally I was not worried about the general wear, more the uneven wear that corresponded with the pulling to the left on take off. I confirmed my suspicion that the right hand side was receiving more torque.

Now running a gear diff which has sorted it, but interesting that others are having the same issue.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #17675
Tech Regular

Not this Sunday but next Sunday I'll order the Version 3 at my local track.
I did notice it comes with Aluminum hinge pin braces. I also think it comes with 2 spur gears. One for stock and one for mod.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #17676
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol123 View Post
I had the same issue, running mm4 and alway wanted to shot off to the left. I have changed to a gear diff and it's stopped. Before changing I noticed the output drives are worn on the right-hand side which is the side with the T but on it.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely be changing to a Gear Diff then, never had these problems with my other cars with gear diff
jcsantana92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #17677
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Are you guys sure you have your ball diff assembled correctly? You might want to check and see if you have the E-clip and/or the thrust bearing in correctly.

Looking at Pistol's pictures, I also have to wonder if its not an issue with the outdrive bearings. One side looks more worn than the other, which makes me think that one side isn't spinning as well as the other. I siezed up a bearing on my DESC210 last summer and one of the outdrives was worn like that when I pulled it out.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 PM   #17678
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Finally got it out!

Ok, finally got the car out on the track set up for Stock! Car has alot of speed with my current setup and handled really well. One of the better drivers took a couple laps with it and liked it ALOT! Just couldn't get over how well it handled. Neither can I for my first time out with it. Wanted to race it this weekend but finished up the perpendicular battery mod too late to get in on the action. However, practiced afterwards and can't wait to get it out this wed night! Thought car was kinda heavy but came in at 1557g. Pretty happy with that weight considering there are some areas I can lose more weight but not really gonna sweat 58g at this point. It is fast enough right now with the current setup!

Killshot 17.5 geared 35/69 with Exotek Slipper Eliminator.

Bought used from racer on here and not sure how he has his shocks set up with oils or pistons but I like them! Have to try and get in touch with to get that info! Otherwise, curious what everyones preference's are on here with their shock weights and pistons? Running on a Med to High bite dirt track!
Turtle Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #17679
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
Are you guys sure you have your ball diff assembled correctly? You might want to check and see if you have the E-clip and/or the thrust bearing in correctly.

Looking at Pistol's pictures, I also have to wonder if its not an issue with the outdrive bearings. One side looks more worn than the other, which makes me think that one side isn't spinning as well as the other. I siezed up a bearing on my DESC210 last summer and one of the outdrives was worn like that when I pulled it out.
Maybe the thrust races but I followed all the tips - larger diameter washer on second and the kit was A later v1 so the E clip has been changed to symetrical one.

I think in the pictures the left looks shinier as the lighting is on the left. Rebuilt with the same bearings on the gear diff and the issue has gone.

Always made me slow off the line, any stabbing of the throttle would have it shooting left and me fishtailing down the straight. I'm not fast enough to trouble the quick guys at our track but hopefully with a more stable platform I'm hoping to become more consistent and get a bit closer, was curtainly much nicer to drive.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 AM   #17680
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone run the v2 flat front arms with the v1 Shock bodies and shafts?

Or run 44mm shafts instead of 42.5mm on there v2?

Reason I ask is im looking at installing the 44mm Nitride shafts from the Dex410

When I get a chance I will put my 410's front shocks onto the 210 and see how different it is but thought I would ask.
Pittster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #17681
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittster View Post
Has anyone run the v2 flat front arms with the v1 Shock bodies and shafts?

Or run 44mm shafts instead of 42.5mm on there v2?

Reason I ask is im looking at installing the 44mm Nitride shafts from the Dex410

When I get a chance I will put my 410's front shocks onto the 210 and see how different it is but thought I would ask.
The 44m work fine in the V2 bodies. As long as you don't use bladders. If u run emulsion u will be fine. If you use the droop screws then your droop won't change.
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #17682
Tech Regular

I was going to get it but ill get the Losi 22 2.0 Short Course instead.
Why because Tower has iit backordered til August and my local track cant order it through Amain Hobbies even thou they have it in stock.

I'll still get the car just wont get it until Tower Hobbies has it back in stock.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #17683
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

what were you going to get?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #17684
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmag5000 View Post
I was going to get it but ill get the Losi 22 2.0 Short Course instead.
Why because Tower has iit backordered til August and my local track cant order it through Amain Hobbies even thou they have it in stock.
With bodies and rear arms backorderd until who knows when, I checked Tower the other day, thinking I'd buy a V3 as a spare. Nope, backordered until August.

IMO.. Durango is really dropping the ball with the DEX210. Yes, the 201F and 410v5 are new and exciting, but they seem to have problems supporting their older platforms. At this point, I'm thinking about putting away my DEX210 until the fall and picking up an Associated for the outdoor season.
Kremzeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #17685
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
With bodies and rear arms backorderd until who knows when, I checked Tower the other day, thinking I'd buy a V3 as a spare. Nope, backordered until August.

IMO.. Durango is really dropping the ball with the DEX210. Yes, the 201F and 410v5 are new and exciting, but they seem to have problems supporting their older platforms. At this point, I'm thinking about putting away my DEX210 until the fall and picking up an Associated for the outdoor season.
Selling new cars is worthless if you can't get spare parts for them. I've gotten fed up as well. The only reason I might be able to actually sell my 210 is because of the Exotek parts on it but that's it. I suspect that they are severely budget limited and I'm sure it's frustrating to the people actually doing the design work on these cars. It's the people above them that run the financials. Losi just keeps doing more and more things that show me that they are the only ones that truly understand car geometry and it makes it harder and harder not to jump in with them, especially since I was always a Losi person going back to 1988.