R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree44Likes

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #15856
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
I had the same problem with no solution available in 4 gear. Even with a new gearbox it would not turn smoothly. Switched to 3 gear layout and it was fine... so it is something with the gears I believe.

Turns out I will be going 3 gear so it is a non issue to me at the moment but the best information I could dig up for the problem was to just run it and it will break in.

Yup I think its the stock top shaft because its a two piece when you use 4 gears it always seems to have a tight spot even if you brake them in when you turn the gears in the transmission .

Using the three gear mid motor it feels much freer smoother.

Using

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #15857
Tech Prophet

Would the 3 gear MM work on this track ? And what does mounting the rear shocks on the back of the arms do compared to the Front ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwD...yt-cl=84838260

2wd Mod buggy on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...layer_embedded

Last edited by tc5 man; 01-27-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #15858
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default associated diff

has anyone tried a b5 diff in the 210?
Tdub77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:29 AM   #15859
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub77 View Post
has anyone tried a b5 diff in the 210?
Why? Whats wrong with the 210 diff?
If you can't get the adjustment right and it keeps slipping, it's mainly cause of the E clip installed backwards or not seated right

The 210 diff lasts just as long or longer than the b5 one.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #15860
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually I wanted to try a b fast but they don't make one for the 210 but they do make one for the b5. My diff is holding up fine but the c clip does suck and I would rather not have to deal with it

Tim
Tdub77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #15861
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

email bfast, they'll be able to hook you up with everything
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #15862
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Would the 3 gear MM work on this track ? And what does mounting the rear shocks on the back of the arms do compared to the Front ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwD...yt-cl=84838260

2wd Mod buggy on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...layer_embedded
I ran my B5M their when they had their big race and computer took a dump. I don't why the 3 gear wouldn't work their as the traction is very high and your mainly running slicks or ghost slicks. Shocks on the rear I thought when I had mine it was done for more rear bite overall.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #15863
Tech Prophet

Anybody ?

Nevermind thanks Wyd.

I'm going to give it a try again actually it seemed to grip more with the MM3 than the MM4 on this buggy for me at that track. Easier to drive just needed some more steering a but more turn in .

The shocks toward the rear i may try it but the grip there is not really low even if it's dry or semi dry .

Just need to tune for more steering first the tires up front this time .

Old 01-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #15864
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Anybody ?

Nevermind thanks Wyd.

I'm going to give it a try again actually it seemed to grip more with the MM3 than the MM4 on this buggy for me at that track. Easier to drive just needed some more steering a but more turn in .

The shocks toward the rear i may try it but the grip there is not really low even if it's dry or semi dry .

Just need to tune for more steering first the tires up front this time .
Even though my front tires where not slicks when I was down I actually had too much steering and had to take some steering out. The tires I ran are my weekly tires I ran at Bumps and Jumps since the season started in October so they are really broken in Gold Dirt Webs that really have about 80% to 90% tread left but are really really broken in with the AKA closed cell inside. I ran slicks but they didn't run like my super broke in Dirt Webs ghosted rear and treaded fronts. I did run work Typo's in clay but they wanted to get a bit loose mid corner where my DW didn't.

I would think if your in the racing line the 3 gear would work great.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #15865
Tech Prophet

Yea I need to get more wear on the tires to . With the gear diff i been using i just put 3000 k in it from 4k thinking, that will help on rear traction and rotation I do t think it will diff out to much for that track .

Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #15866
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

So ok guys, with all the new talk of the 3 gear and the 4 gear Mid motor stuff Im curious to know a quick this is what it does between the two. I run on a high bite clay track with slicks and then another Med-High Bite clay track with treads. If I go 3 gear for my local high bite track am I going to need to switch back to 4 gear for the other. What is the benefit of one vs the other? I hear the 3 gear keeps the car flatter in the corners and makes it easier to drive? But what about on power traction? I don't think the 3 gear gets the power down the same way does it? Any help in clarifying this is appreciated, Thanks!
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #15867
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
So ok guys, with all the new talk of the 3 gear and the 4 gear Mid motor stuff Im curious to know a quick this is what it does between the two. I run on a high bite clay track with slicks and then another Med-High Bite clay track with treads. If I go 3 gear for my local high bite track am I going to need to switch back to 4 gear for the other. What is the benefit of one vs the other? I hear the 3 gear keeps the car flatter in the corners and makes it easier to drive? But what about on power traction? I don't think the 3 gear gets the power down the same way does it? Any help in clarifying this is appreciated, Thanks!
Honestly to me the only reason to run a 3 gear is if you run stock 17.5 and trying to make the drive train lighter for quicker acceleration. If you run mod then I would just stay with the 4 gear. Its all preference. Like everything the Pro will all of a sudden run 3 gears if the company they run makes it so they can sell more product. Us racers see they won with the the 3 gear so now we all want to switch even though that same guy would of won with the 4 gear in. Now if you have a car that can do both and no extra money is needed then to me I would just try a different setup each week to see what I like best.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #15868
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Honestly to me the only reason to run a 3 gear is if you run stock 17.5 and trying to make the drive train lighter for quicker acceleration. If you run mod then I would just stay with the 4 gear. Its all preference. Like everything the Pro will all of a sudden run 3 gears if the company they run makes it so they can sell more product. Us racers see they won with the the 3 gear so now we all want to switch even though that same guy would of won with the 4 gear in. Now if you have a car that can do both and no extra money is needed then to me I would just try a different setup each week to see what I like best.

I run in the Mod class so the 3 gear mid motor would make it to quick i guess ? A stock class doing it i can understand.

What the Pros drive 3 or 4 gear mid motor honestly to me there on a different level so its kinda of hard to me to make a decision myself on that.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #15869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
In short, mm4 generates more rear grip, but you will push on power quite a lot.

mm3 generates less rear grip, but will have a much more neutral/predictable feel while driving.

To really make mm3 work, you have to get as much weight over the rears as possible. I have my car setup with a 30g rf toe block and a custom chassis that I can run a side by side saddles or a sideways shorty. This gets more weight onto the rear without having to add extra weight. My car has plenty of rear grip, and the neutral driving characteristics of the three gear make the car very forgiving to drive. It makes me look a lot better than I really am!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #15870
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post
In short, mm4 generates more rear grip, but you will push on power quite a lot.

mm3 generates less rear grip, but will have a much more neutral/predictable feel while driving.

To really make mm3 work, you have to get as much weight over the rears as possible. I have my car setup with a 30g rf toe block and a custom chassis that I can run a side by side saddles or a sideways shorty. This gets more weight onto the rear without having to add extra weight. My car has plenty of rear grip, and the neutral driving characteristics of the three gear make the car very forgiving to drive. It makes me look a lot better than I really am!

Awesome! That's really what I wanted to know, I appreciate the "in a nut shell" answer. I have been giving the 3 gear transmission a lot of thought, and that will help me dial in if it for me or not.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote