Wiki Posts
Search

Slash oversteer issues. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Slash oversteer issues. Help!

Hi all,
New to the slash and just wondering if anyone has some setup suggestions to eliminate some oversteer on the slash.

Running it on a dusty track with box setup at the moment so any suggestions would help. Want to keep it stock parts wise though.
Cheers
Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Try running 50 up front and 60 in back for shocks.

Aftermarket tires will provide more sidebite, but if you're running stock tires, try getting all your braking done in a straight line before your initial turn in.

Remember also, that spinning your rear wheels while turning will easily result in oversteer as well, so feather your throttle a bit more (less power at the start of the turn, roll on power as you come out of the turn).

The Slash is already heavy and rear-weight biased, but more weight on the rear (I add weight to the front as well) really settles it down.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Cheers,
Throttle control has a bit to do with it (still need to control my finger sometimes), but even when it is only slightly turned and smooth throttle she really wants to step out.

Interested in any setups people run for loose dusty tracks so give em if you've got em.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey someone also suggested loosening the slipper a bit.
How does everyone run their slippers for a loose track?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I have always packed my diff's with automotive bearing grease. Seems to help keep it from diffing out so easy and causing a spin or oversteer.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

When I had my slash I used 50% OFNA diff lock putty and 50% 10K diff fluid. when it mixes in the diff it creates a putty like mixture that doesn't leak out yet provides quite a bit more "limited slip" than just grease.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Over steer

Stiffin up the ft shocks, that will give it some push in the corners.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default slipper

I presume you are talking about a 2 wheel drive slash.
I bottom my slipper out then back it off 1/4 turn. I also make sure the disc isn't glazed over making it too slippery. Rub the surface of the disc on some medium sandpaper and rough up the pads a little too. Feather the throttle through the turns. Rapidly pump the trigger from halfway. It will keep you from breaking traction and helps muscle through the turns. You dont want to "floor" the throttle, you will just spin out. What weight fluid are you running in the diff? I filled my diff halfway with 100,000 weight diff fluid making it almost like a limited slip on a real vehicle. That will also help you go through turns since you wont be lifting the tire off the ground that is trying to push the car.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

On mine, I moved the rear shocks in all the way, and am running something like 60wt oil. This keeps as much rear traction as possible. Then, move your front shocks out all the way and run somewhere around 40wt. It's softer in the front because of the extreme difference in mounting locations front-to-rear, as well as the Slash's naturally heavy rear end.

Something that also helped a LOT was about 4-6 degrees of negative camber in the rear. My rear alignment has been laughed at because I have SO MUCH camber, but it works!

Make sure also to keep the rear ride height low, and run the battery towards the rear instead of towards the front.

A front swaybar can also help.

On the diff, I found that fluid made the car tend to oversteer, especially in low-traction. I'd suggest just some grease in the diff to reduce the limited-slip effect. It will keep both tires from spinning when you get too heavy on the throttle, and just the inside tire will spin while allowing the outside tire to hold traction for you. When both tires start spinning, you just loop around, or at least get to go for a nice sideways ride!

-Eric