Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which motor Tekin redline or Novak ballistic >

Which motor Tekin redline or Novak ballistic

Which motor Tekin redline or Novak ballistic

Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
I will happily put our Tekin motor against any on the market in a heads up race. I can't count how many times I've seen one of our drivers or myself get our motor tech'd because "no way can it be that fast."

By far the one we get the most comments about is our 10.5.
I have run Tekin, Novak, Losi and LRP x-11, haven't tried an x-12 yet, so I cant have an opinion on that motor. But, the Tekin is better IMO than the others mentioned, as far as being able to gear it taller, and sill running in the desired temps. The others didn't meet the criteria...Also, I Can read, and the thread asked Tekin Redline or Novak Ballistic..
Old 02-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So here is my uodate on Tekin RS/Ballistic 8.5T.
Raced yeastrday my new T4 and i have to tell you i love it!Is motor combo is great.The punch was there when i need it and my temps didn't go abouve 100F on speedo or motor very cool running.
I don't know way other people bash this motor here if they used tekin as speedo they propably put too much timing advance and tousted there motors.
I love my new T4 if you won't more info go to thread for tekin setup 2.00
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Rookie

is the rs pro going to be that much better than the rs when running a 6.5 in a 4x4 sct on a tight high grip track?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Neither, novak is garbage, trinity or lrp
Old 02-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by not home View Post
Neither, novak is garbage, trinity or lrp
My Novak motors run cool and have not had any trouble in 2 different vehicles. Not sure what your agenda is but your unwarranted bantering is really annoying.

-Eric
Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACER37 View Post
is the rs pro going to be that much better than the rs when running a 6.5 in a 4x4 sct on a tight high grip track?
For 4wd SCT run the pro.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No problems w any of my Novaks. Did blow up my 4.5Velocity the other day in my hand tho. Revved it when I was having an issue previously, disassembled, re-assembled, forgot I had timing set for my 13.5... And poof! Rotor turned to dust inside. Probably not worth sending in for repair

Toasted an LRP X11 in my B44 the other day. 5min on track w/same gearing as my Novak 6.5... Same turn motor... And saw temps hit 242*F. Sensor board is fried. So... Novak seems to be ok for me so far. No Tekin experience so no comment there. Only other can I use is my Team Epic Duo2 10.5 which never gets above 95*F no matter how much timing or gearing in the B4. Can't figure that one out....
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never had problems with my Ballistic. It's my speed controller that I have had problems with. Probably going to get a Mamba Max pro.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default ballistic

It takes 16 motors to get a decent one! Speaking from experience! many fires and problems!
Tekin all the way!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Would you rather buy a 55-inch LED TV from Best Buy or Costco?

Yeah, Ballistics seems to be hit & miss, at least in my experience. I've fried (2) different Ballistics (10.5, 17.5) because they epoxy melted and shorted the copper winding. It's frustrating when you cough up $95 on a motor and it doesn't live up to the hype it's been getting. When I contacted Novak, they simply said "you're outside the 90-day warranty period." Really? Even if I just got around to using it on the 93rd day? Doesn't make sense.

I still have one Novak 13.5 Ballistic that runs admirably, but after the bad experience, I'll stay away from Novak and stick with Tekin.

Randy Pike and Tekin have offered excellent customer support and service, and I have yet to have a problem with any of their motors. Having the Tekin reps' support is priceless.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

If your motors are running hot then you're gearing it wrong. My Novak Ballistic 8.5 was great in my SCT, I still use old Velociti's and SS's because they still make power like they were new and just as much as any of the new motors. Internally, I don't think much has changed in the last 3-5 years in BL motors. I also run a pair of Tekin 17.5's (on my old Novak Havocs). They run great too.

The Ballistic's big advantage is that the stator can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of a new motor so if you gear it wrong and burn it up you can replace the stator easily. No other motor I am aware of provides that. They also offer a trade in program for your cooked electronics. Again, never heard of a company that offers that.

Novak Two and Randy Pike are both examples of excellent company to customer support. Both do a tremendous job of helping users understand warranty vs. non warranty.

I still believe that Novak is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of customer service and options offered.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
If your motors are running hot then you're gearing it wrong. My Novak Ballistic 8.5 was great in my SCT, I still use old Velociti's and SS's because they still make power like they were new and just as much as any of the new motors. Internally, I don't think much has changed in the last 3-5 years in BL motors. I also run a pair of Tekin 17.5's (on my old Novak Havocs). They run great too.

The Ballistic's big advantage is that the stator can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of a new motor so if you gear it wrong and burn it up you can replace the stator easily. No other motor I am aware of provides that. They also offer a trade in program for your cooked electronics. Again, never heard of a company that offers that.

Novak Two and Randy Pike are both examples of excellent company to customer support. Both do a tremendous job of helping users understand warranty vs. non warranty.

I still believe that Novak is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of customer service and options offered.
I geared the motor according to Novak's suggestions, which were 1-2 teeth down from the LRP motor I was running. I don't think the failures that I've had with my Ballistics were heat-related, because they were within the constraints outlined by Novak (150-160 F).

The failures were more mechanical in nature than electrical, i.e., coils slipping.