Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which motor Tekin redline or Novak ballistic >

Which motor Tekin redline or Novak ballistic

Which motor Tekin redline or Novak ballistic

Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
Thanks!!!
I was just reading another thread where Airwood's friend motor 8.5T died after first try that's sad

Novak need to step up or they will loose there reputation very soon.

Now for sure I'm getting Tekin RS/Red line 10.5T motor

cliffhanger, you keep posting this anonymous assertion in various threads....

Of course, his friend has not yet returned the 8.5 motor to us for evaluation. Funny, how anonymous forum posters have bad motors but, when I ask for more information, (or suggest having the motor returned) I get absolutely no response. I can post the results of our motor evaluations.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

There is something wrong with the sensor harness that comes with the ballistic. I've killed 3 harness's. Problem Cogging. Fluke 189 says theyre making good connections. Solution: Trinity harness.

I think its giving the ballistic a bad rap. I've got three ballistics that will soon be sent back to novak for a check up before they get anywhere near my ESC's again. The motors may be fine or they may have weak sensors.

And the goofy "n" 30 degree timing needs to go away. I dont care how the timing is set, nor do I care what the engineers think is best. Out of the box the Trinity Duo and Tekin Redline motors work better with Dynamic timing Esc's.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
There is something wrong with the sensor harness that comes with the ballistic. I've killed 3 harness's. Problem Cogging. Fluke 189 says theyre making good connections. Solution: Trinity harness.

I think its giving the ballistic a bad rap. I've got three ballistics that will soon be sent back to novak for a check up before they get anywhere near my ESC's again. The motors may be fine or they may have weak sensors.

And the goofy "n" 30 degree timing needs to go away. I dont care how the timing is set, nor do I care what the engineers think is best. Out of the box the Trinity Duo and Tekin Redline motors work better with Dynamic timing Esc's.
You can return your Ballistics and harnesses, and we will check them out for you. We ae changing the timing label to numbers, to make adjustments easier. When we release the Kinetic, we will offer guidance on setting Ballistic timing.

We have a motor timing article/info update (PDF) posted to our website:

BALLISTIC MOTOR TIMING INFORMATION
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have nothing against novak i have been using GTB/7.5R combo without problem.I love it i sold my B44 with it and looking for new system after reading all the bad staff i'm confuse i see your point where racers talk here and they never send there staff in and that is not fair towards other racer.
i just talk to my friend yesterday and he loves his tekin Rs / Ballistic 8.5T combo so i don't know which way to go yet but i have to decide soon since i can't wait to run my T4.
I'll probably give a try to Novak to see how goes i like the idea of swapping rotors and i like the plug for the sensor on top of the can instead of like Tekin have on the side.
And if there is going to by any problems I'll let you know novak two.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Company Representative

...And if there is going to by any problems I'll let you know novak two.
And, I will be here to help.....
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Company Representative

Ballistic Sensor Harness Removal
Updated: 1.12.10

In order to ensure that the replaceable sensor harness doesn’t easily fall out of the ballistic motor accidentally, the end bell was designed to snuggly retain the end of the sensor harness in its connector.

As such, removal of the harness requires special attention so as to not damage the harness itself.

1. It is advised to note the timing setting on the motor.
2. Using a 1.5 mm wrench, loosen the three flat head screws holding the end cap and sensor assembly in place.
3. Once loosened, grasp the sensor harness as close to the connector as possible.
4. Gently “walk” the sensor harness connector out of the motor’s connector by wiggling the connector side to side.
a. NOTE: You may need to pull up slightly on the harness as there is a small lip on the endbell that may impede the removal of the sensor harness connector in certain circumstances.
5. Once the harness is removed, it can easily be replaced at this point.
6. Next, retighten the three 1.5 mm screws in the end cap, ensuring that the timing setting is set to where it was noted before the sensor harness removal process was begun.

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
You can return your Ballistics and harnesses, and we will check them out for you. We ae changing the timing label to numbers, to make adjustments easier. When we release the Kinetic, we will offer guidance on setting Ballistic timing.

We have a motor timing article/info update (PDF) posted to our website:

BALLISTIC MOTOR TIMING INFORMATION
Thanks.

I'll send the motors back for a check up.

But the harnesses are beyond repair, I got carried away and tore them all apart to see what makes them tick. Looking for a goofy pin, or frayed wire that test well but act up when on the track. so those are toast. I'll just order some fresh ones. Shoot I even disected the plug.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Kinetic Esc so I can download its instructions. Hopefully they'll key us in on how to use it with other brand motors as well.

That pdf is kinda vauge. Obviously there isn't much room for dynamic timing if your allready set at 30. LOL.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Company Representative

Here is Steve's response to a couple of the timing questions we have received.

The range of timing adjustment on the SS motors is limited and somewhat inconsistent. We set the timing to approx 30 degrees as we currently do on the Ballistic. Your "average" range of adjustment on the SS series of motors was from about 15 to 45 degrees... This is the reason why we made the timing label on the ballistic reflect these particular values.

Some SS motors will not allow for this amount of adjustment however: the tolerances among the stator, rotor, and sensor could build up in either direction to allow for more than a total of 45 degrees possible or less than 45 degrees possible.

Performance differences between the SS and Ballistic teardowns is generally attributed to differences in rotor strength, but there is one design attribute that differs between the SS and ballistic that may also contribute to the difference in performance: The air gap between the sensor assembly and the rotor itself.

This gap is relatively small on most of the SS series of motors and was increased on the ballistic motors. When tested on the dyno this difference in air gaps to the rotor resulted in changes that were similar to running different timing values. A bigger gap acts like more timing whereas a smaller gap acts like less timing.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll be running a 8.5 Ballistic in my SC10 tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

I went ahead and ordered Tekin Rs and novak balistic 8.5t keep my fingers crossed for novak motor becouse since than i read more reviews and not really a good ones
Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have a Ballistic on the way so I can't comment on the performance or reliability myself but I have raced with some guys that like them.

My Tekin 17.5 rotor shaft is soft, I have had to file and sand numerous times so I can keep changing pinions when I run 17.5 class. I have never had this with any other brand but other than that issue it's been great and the thing screams.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

just got my tekin rs and 8.5t ballistic time to do some soldering that than to hook it up cant.Wait will post the how it performend later.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi i'm just above to buy a motor and wondering which one is better.
Tekin redline 10.5T or Novak ballistic 10.5T

Thanks for your input cheers
Tekin= no tourque
Novak= RUN VERY HOT
LRP x12 is da best
Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

im looking at the 17.5 options for both, even considering the rs pro. but do you need to spend that extra cash for such a stock motor? i just want it to run in the stock classes.
havent raced yet int he b4 and would like to start
Old 01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You do not need the RS pro for a stock or any spec motor for that matter. Save the extra coin and spring for the Hotwire device.

I will happily put our Tekin motor agains any on the market in a heads up race. I can't count how many times I've seen one of our drivers or myself get our motor tech'd because "no way can it be that fast."

By far the one we get the most comments about is our 10.5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service