Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
how do I know what KV my motor is? >

how do I know what KV my motor is?

how do I know what KV my motor is?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default how do I know what KV my motor is?

I have a HSP buggy, was cheap as, and I love it!

so, I went and bought a HSP car, which has the same chassis, with different suspension.

but, the CAR has a cover over the gears, and a sealed motor, while the BUGGY has exposed gears, and an open motor.

I was wanting to swap the cover, and motors over, but I don't know what KV the road car is.

The buggy is 3300kv, off an 11.1v lipo, and I expected the car to be the same, but the motor is a different colour!

I really don't know

help please?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

The only way to know is to contact the manufacturer. Brushless motors are rated by a number of different standards and Kv is only one of them. Some are rated by turns (the number of times wire is wrapped around a specific segment of the stator to create a field) some are rated by poles, or by any combination of the aforementioned. Other than building a test jig and checking the motor rpm at a precise voltage level, the manufacturer is the only one that can supply that information.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
The only way to know is to contact the manufacturer. Brushless motors are rated by a number of different standards and Kv is only one of them. Some are rated by turns (the number of times wire is wrapped around a specific segment of the stator to create a field) some are rated by poles, or by any combination of the aforementioned. Other than building a test jig and checking the motor rpm at a precise voltage level, the manufacturer is the only one that can supply that information.
but the car is apparently available with a 3300kv, or 5000kv, and it seems there is externally no difference.

well, mine are different colours, which confuses me.

I guess simply connecting both vehicle to the same size battery, and measuring the current draw from the battery would give some idea as to whether they are the same motor.